Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Macro extension tubes

I love these but each time I come to use them I'm faced with a dilemma as to which one and which lens. Does anyone have a calculation method that can be adopted to work out focusing distances with different lenses - rather than slapping one on and trying it out each time!!?? Is this indeed possible? I don't have a head for sums I'm afraid - though I do try!!
Indeed, is there even an app for this???? (ever hopeful!!)

Hi there bigcat,
I found I had a similar problem when I bought a set of Kenko tubes a few months ago, much cheaper than a macro lens! I use them with a 50mm prime or 55-300mm telezoom mostly, depending on what I'm doing.

I found the easiest way to make life simple (for me!) was to set the camera on a tripod in the kitchen and a subject (in this case a bowl of flowers) on the kitchen table and then test each lens/tube combination by moving the flowers up and down the length of the table until I had sharp focus. I then measured the distances with a tape measure and noted down the results. These were then transferred to a postcard, laminated and stored in the camera bag.

I'm sure there is a formula for calculating all these settings but, at least with my simple method, after a couple of hours experimenting the answers are there on a card whenever needed. Hope this helps solve your problem.

Happy Shooting people!

Regards
Keith

(Oct 21, 2013, 06:47)KeithB Wrote:  Hi there bigcat,
I found I had a similar problem when I bought a set of Kenko tubes a few months ago, much cheaper than a macro lens! I use them with a 50mm prime or 55-300mm telezoom mostly, depending on what I'm doing.

I found the easiest way to make life simple (for me!) was to set the camera on a tripod in the kitchen and a subject (in this case a bowl of flowers) on the kitchen table and then test each lens/tube combination by moving the flowers up and down the length of the table until I had sharp focus. I then measured the distances with a tape measure and noted down the results. These were then transferred to a postcard, laminated and stored in the camera bag.

I'm sure there is a formula for calculating all these settings but, at least with my simple method, after a couple of hours experimenting the answers are there on a card whenever needed. Hope this helps solve your problem.

Good gracious - brilliantly simple. I'd never actually thought of moving the subject! Moving the camera was a guddle. Thank you. Guess what I'll be doing later today!

Glad to be of assistance. Just don't knock the flowers over. Her indoors was not amused!

Happy Shooting people!

Regards
Keith

(Oct 21, 2013, 08:24)KeithB Wrote:  Glad to be of assistance. Just don't knock the flowers over. Her indoors was not amused!

Chuckle!!

How are you getting on with the tubes?

Happy Shooting people!

Regards
Keith

(Oct 24, 2013, 08:48)KeithB Wrote:  How are you getting on with the tubes?

Yikes! Not done anything yet. Mind you, I do have a vase of flowers now!! Will see if I have time to play Sunday night-if I can stay awake!!
Thanks for asking. Wink

Have this macro sampling shoot done. I do like to see it it goes well? Probably other things or issues or tips we should get in mind you encounter during the shoot?

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GrahamS
Mar 1, 2018, 03:37
Last Post by Casey1721
Aug 22, 2017, 02:09