Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Maidenhead

I rather like this photo of the bridge over the River Thames at Maidenhead, Berkshire:

But there are two different subjects - 1. A Pair of Geese; 2. The Bridge. Perhaps the photo should be cropped into two separate images, e.g.:

So it would be interesting to read what others think - does the first image work, or should the subjects be separated, or are all three OK, or should they all go in the 'try again' folder, or any other comments?

Many thanks for any contributions that you add to this thread.

[ Pentax K-5II, 28mm prime lens, f/8, 1/60s, ISO 640, Paintshop Pro X4 ]

Philip

Hi Philip,

For me the first image works in that it puts the Geese in context. However, as stand alone images the second pair concentrate the viewers eye more successfully to the two differing subjects in the original. So, I would suggest that any of them work well, depending on the purpose they would be used for. I.E. for a Maidenhead Council publicity shot used in an annual report, number one without question. For the Local Tourist Authority number two and for a greetings card, number three undoubtedly.

So jolly well done Philip, you've hit three birds with one stone!! Smile Or, you have managed to accommodate three different market requirements with one (edited) photograph; and that takes some doing. Well done that man. Smile

Regards.

Phil.

Hi Philip,
I can understand what PhilJ is saying, but for me the winner is the first shot.It just feels more 'alive'. As Phil says, context is apparent. I should point out that I am a 'Learner Driver' as far as Photography is concerned. Regards, Mike.

The first image looks like someone's vacation (holiday) snap.

The second (just the bridge) for me is THE ONE. It just needs a little PP to make it pop.

The third (2 geese) would be a whole lot more interesting if the point of view was almost down to their level.
There's no depth to it. You really need a foreground, middleground and background to make a really good image.

So, for me, you made one really good pic out of a so-so one.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz