Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Market in Lanquin

A market street in the little Mayan town of Lanquin, Guatemala. Critiques are welcome.

[Image: Lanquin-market-0214_pt_250k.jpg]

Hello Gary, I have a feeling of being at the market. Everything looks very natural. The sellers do not look too happy or animated. I like the path in between stalls revealing some of the wares. The peopl lining th stalls have nice natural skin tones and the photo is not too contrasty - I assume an overcast day. It would have been nice to pull out some of the wares from the deep shadow of the stalls. I would like to see more of what is on sale. It would have been nice to capture some interaction between buyers and sellers to give the photo some focus and a bit more excitement. The photo works well as a documentary for the trip, which must have been great and it gives an insight into how people live. It could have a bit more drama as a photo. Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

I like shots like this, but also like to see what is in the baskets. Difficult.
Also in this shot it looks sort of squashed in a vertical direction. Probably the result of a W/A lens.
The route through the middle of the stalls is a bit central too. Maybe place it off-centre more.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT and Pavel:

Thanks for your critiques. It was an overcast day, and I did use a wide angle lens. Yes, it would have been good if there had been more interaction, but at the time I was going through, there wasn't. I was circumspect in taking pictures here. First, I wanted to capture the natural appearance, and not people posing for photographs. Also, the women were not anxious to have their pictures taken and I took only a couple of photos, so as to not wear out my welcome. I used the shadow adjustment in PS, to lighten the interior of the stalls, and I went as far as I felt comfortable, without making it look unnatural.

Gary

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post