Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Merging and Blending Photos

I haven't posted anything here on the forum for some time. I have been playing with merging and blending photos. Had a couple of photos of old trucks with crappy backgrounds and decided to try to merge and blend them on to some wood backgrounds. Tried to make them look as though they had been painted on the wood years ago. All work done in Paintshop Pro X7 Ultimate. Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeffrey Anderson

(Dec 30, 2014, 02:04)pixbyjnjphotos Wrote:  I haven't posted anything here on the forum for some time. I have been playing with merging and blending photos. Had a couple of photos of old trucks with crappy backgrounds and decided to try to merge and blend them on to some wood backgrounds. Tried to make them look as though they had been painted on the wood years ago. All work done in Paintshop Pro X7 Ultimate. Comments and constructive criticism welcome.
Really cool, prefer the first background Big Grin
Mark

Very nice work. I particularly like the second image and the way the truck is seen through a semi transparent boarding - exellent

Photography is a never-ending journey

(Dec 30, 2014, 03:00)Mark Stewart-Clarke Wrote:  
(Dec 30, 2014, 02:04)pixbyjnjphotos Wrote:  I haven't posted anything here on the forum for some time. I have been playing with merging and blending photos. Had a couple of photos of old trucks with crappy backgrounds and decided to try to merge and blend them on to some wood backgrounds. Tried to make them look as though they had been painted on the wood years ago. All work done in Paintshop Pro X7 Ultimate. Comments and constructive criticism welcome.
Really cool, prefer the first background Big Grin
Mark
Thanks for looking and your nice comment. I have mixed emotions toward which one I like best. Have a GREAT DAY!

Jeffrey Anderson

(Dec 30, 2014, 05:34)Plantsman Wrote:  Very nice work. I particularly like the second image and the way the truck is seen through a semi transparent boarding - exellent

Thanks for looking and your positive comment. It takes quite a bit of time to do this and get it just right. Have a GREAT DAY!

Jeffrey Anderson

I agree with Peter (Plantsman) - it's number 2 for me, which really does give the illusion of looking through a wooden window! Perhaps a slight adjustment might enhance number 1 - try lining up the truck with the boards?

Cheers.
Philip

(Dec 30, 2014, 12:50)MrB Wrote:  I agree with Peter (Plantsman) - it's number 2 for me, which really does give the illusion of looking through a wooden window! Perhaps a slight adjustment might enhance number 1 - try lining up the truck with the boards?

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks for looking and your idea. Not a bad idea at all but is kind of funny to me. I posted this picture on another forum with the truck paralleling the board as you suggested. I got a comment that maybe I should line up the board with the lumber load. I did that. It matters not to me and I find out that we all have different tastes. I think someone said beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I personally don't think it is super fantastic either way. Picture 1 was my first attempt to merge and blend to the extreme that I did and I do like number 2 the best myself.

Jeffrey Anderson

(Dec 30, 2014, 12:50)MrB Wrote:  I agree with Peter (Plantsman) - it's number 2 for me, which really does give the illusion of looking through a wooden window! Perhaps a slight adjustment might enhance number 1 - try lining up the truck with the boards?

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks for looking and your idea. Not a bad idea at all but is kind of funny to me. I posted this picture on another forum with the truck paralleling the board as you suggested. I got a comment that maybe I should line up the board with the lumber load. I did that. It matters not to me and I find out that we all have different tastes. I think someone said beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I personally don't think it is super fantastic either way. Picture 1 was my first attempt to merge and blend to the extreme that I did and I do like number 2 the best myself.
[/quote]

Here is picture 1 with the background grain parallel to the truck. I found it still in layers, so I also made a couple of other tweaks as well.
    [quote='pixbyjnjphotos' pid='98763' dateline='1419985590']

Jeffrey Anderson

Very interesting series!

The new number 1 is good but note that the suggestion was to "try lining up the truck with the boards" - i.e. along the same diagonal as the boards in the original number 1. If you are able to try that alignment, it might be a more dynamic composition - giving the impression of the truck speeding away from you.

Cheers.
Philip

(Dec 31, 2014, 02:17)MrB Wrote:  The new number 1 is good but note that the suggestion was to "try lining up the truck with the boards" - i.e. along the same diagonal as the boards in the original number 1. If you are able to try that alignment, it might be a more dynamic composition - giving the impression of the truck speeding away from you.

Cheers.
Philip

My mistake. I misread your suggestion. Please accept my humble apology. I did try the alignment you suggested. Here it is. See if you think there is a hint of the dynamic composition and impression that you envisioned. I also slightly changed the vertical perception of the front of the truck to make it just slightly smaller to help the impression of going away from the capture point. Thanks again for your suggestion and thanks for your continued interest. I have had fun with this entire series and have learned some things about the difficulty of producing a little bit of art. One small tweak can change everything. Happy New Year.
Jeff A

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeffrey Anderson

That's it Jeff - that does give a more dynamic image, in my view! However, the photo is yours, so the important point is: what do you think about it now?

A very happy New Year to you.

Cheers.
Philip

(Jan 1, 2015, 04:53)MrB Wrote:  That's it Jeff - that does give a more dynamic image, in my view! However, the photo is yours, so the important point is: what do you think about it now?

A very happy New Year to you.

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks again for the suggestion. When I run out of ideas I post and ask for comments. I learn more every day. I do like this variation better than all the others I have come up with. I think it would look pretty good as an 11x14 in a 14x18 frame matted to 11x14 and hanging on my wall.

Happy New Year to you as well. Have a GREAT DAY!
Jeff A

Jeffrey Anderson

It just goes to prove that 'the more mature' members of society are just as adept at using 'digital media' in order to express their creativity as 'the youngsters'. True, it may be the case that we have to work harder at it, not having been brought up with it, but, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't learn new things and be successful.

Very well done Jeff, you've created something to be proud of.

Best regards.

Phil.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post