Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mexico colonial.

I was invited to participate in an International Exposition submitting one of my pictures with the theme My city, My town, My village. As this will take place in Germany and there are already some German photograhers, I want to submit something from my country.

I took this picture in my last trip to Mexico, and I have decided that this will be my submission. However there are some points where I am in doubt, and I would love to have your advice. One point here is the man taking the picture with the cellphone. To preserve this colonial flavour I think it shouldn't be taking the picture, but on the other hand is like saying even in our days you can find this kind of scene in this country.

The lady with the white trousers is also something to consider since her clothes look out of context here, maybe trying to make a long skirt? The little poor girl in the corner to me is a very strong point in the picture. How to make it stronger? or do you think as it is ok like this?

I have two versions of the picture a warm one and a cool one? I really don't know which fits best for this theme.

[Image: P1150636wedding2.jpg]

[Image: P1150636wedding.jpg]

Thanks so much for your kind comments and advice... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I prefer the top one by quite a factor, I think it is a great picture. I see the two people you comment on but don't find them troublesome.

Craig.

Thanks Craig... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I really like the tones of #1 For me it seems to fit the scene

Has to be number one, I looked at this for a while, considering your comments before scrolling down to number 2 and they have such a different feel. For me the man holding the phone does kind of spoil the illusion, the woman in the white pants looks fine to me. Saying that if you had not pointed out the man I would probably not have given it a second thought.

The poor girl is a lovely aspect of the shot and adds real value, can't really see how you could emphasise this or make it more of a feature without affecting the rest of the shot. In a way it is one of those great "surprises" that catches your eye once you study the image in more detail. That is what makes a great shot for me.

Anyway enough ramblings good luck with the competition Irma!

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

I prefer the color version, but I am not too keen on the crop. For me, the story of this photo is the people and the car, rather than the building. I see that you have made an effort to get the entire arch of the doorway in the shot to establish the context of the locale - but it makes the shot feel unbalanced IMO. Have you tried a pano of just the bottom half?

I would remove the cell phone guy. Imagine how excellent the composition would be to have the cluster of the wealthy to the right - then a long gap, and then the poor girl looking on - removed from the group by distance and society?

Thanks so much for your great comments here... I really appreciate it a lot!!

Ivan, I think the suggestion of Toad removing the cell phone guy is the way to give to this girl her special place into the picture... Smile
Thanks a lot for your best wishes... I am very happy because they have also invited me to participate in their Art Cultur House. They know I live very far but they don't mind... They are so kind and beautiful people, I am gladly surprised.... Smile

Toad, I love the story you are telling in this picture. I will work on your suggestions and I will post tomorrow, for all of us see the changes... Thanks a lot!! Smile

Paul Cezanne

I also feel that the story is in the car and the people. I had a go at cropping. (hope you don't mind)[Image: 57_P1150636wedding.jpg]

With that crop you lose all the wonderful architecture, teh backdrop sets the scene, and also the whole car is needed for my perspective.

Thanks essaljay for your advice, of course I don't mind you worked with the crop, at the contrary, very kind of you. Working today with the pictue in this panorama format I think it really tells a story.

Here you have it again. I didn't make any heavy post processing but just dodge and burn and worked with some colors to make them match to my eyes. With color I also tried to isolate the little girl, leaving her clothes in blue and gray and the rest of the people with warmer and bright colors.

[Image: P1150636treated.jpg]

My question here is about perspective. I rotated the picture to straighten the verticals but the wall at the left seems to be larger, It has to be because of the angle I took the picture, but... should I work with this too?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Craig, I was thinking whether it is best to change this thread to the fix me up forum as I am posting my tries, or here is ok. If you think it should be changed. Could you do it?... Thanks Smile

Paul Cezanne

Moved to Fix 'em up Smile

Yes - I like it. Well done! It really tells a story now.

2 more teeny weeny quibbles...

There is a speck of color just to the left of the block the little girl is sitting on that is distracting. I would remove that.

Also - now that I see the how the photo is composed, the woman in white is bothering me a bit. She is looking *out* of the scene, where everyone else is looking into the scene. If you can get rid of her, it will even be better...

Beautiful remove job on the cell phone guy by the way...and the walls look just fine as they are.

On your removing the cell guy, you now have the tree trunk in front of the railings, it was originally behind them, it looks a little out of place.

Great cloning though!

Toad Wrote:Also - now that I see the how the photo is composed, the woman in white is bothering me a bit. She is looking *out* of the scene, where everyone else is looking into the scene. If you can get rid of her, it will even be better...

Beautiful remove job on the cell phone guy by the way...and the walls look just fine as they are.
I agree with Toad , wonderful job on removing the guy with the phone , but the first thing that i saw was the lady in white . I am sure you can remove her.
Also like Eb said the tree is in front of the rail to the left .

Great job on the post processing .....

....... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

I didn't say anything about the tree not to point my finger on it... but you (Craig) caught me... ;(

I really don't know how to do it... funny I this has been the most difficult part of all. I will try again. The thing is that the line above the rail the one near the floor is not in well perspective it is higher near the wall... I will try to paint it...

Good I stored my file with all my layers... Smile

Toad, Shane, I will work with the woman on white, and remove the orange plastic bag.

Thanks a lot!!
Comming soon, or maybe tomorrow... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Hey! Hey you in the white!! Yes - you! Turn this way, please, we're taking a picture...

Thank You!

[Image: 21_test3.jpg]

Sorry Irma - just fooling around... Big Grin

Now that works Smile

Toad this is amazing!! Smile
I like the idea.
Could you tell how did you turn her? was it vertical flip?

Thanks a lot for the idea!!
I'll be working today on this one...Smile

Paul Cezanne

My guess is he moved her to a new image, horizontal flipped her and then moved the layer back.

Very impressive editing everyone, you obviously spend far too much time in Photoshop!!

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

Thanks Craig, I would try this way...

Ivan, actually removing the cell phone man was not work. I think I did it in three hours? more or less. The tree in this case took me more time. I separated my cloning in layers, so it was easy to go back and rework if it was needed....

Paul Cezanne

Bingo Craig - that is exactly what I did. I copied the woman in white, opened a new image and pasted her into it - flipped the new image horizontally and copied her back as a new layer on top of the exiting woman in white - then I cleaned up...

The lady now looks great! as part of the group... Thanks a lot Toad...
I find it difficult let's see if I can do it as good as you did... Smile

I just noticed that I said flip vertical when it was horizontal... I always have problems with vertical and horizontal as with right and left... :/

Paul Cezanne

I see it very beautiful... I think it is great now... Smile

[Image: P1150636treated2.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

Perfect!!