Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Misty sunset

Hi everyone. I haven't been on here for a while, recovering from a back operation. I have not used my camera in a while and would like advice/constructive criticism on these two photos. They were taken at the weekend and the mist was starting to come in.
Photo 1 - f/8, 1/125 sec. 49mm focal length ISO 100
Photo 2 - f/5.6 1/80 sec. 55mm focal length, ISO 400

It's nice to be back
Jane

(Jan 25, 2017, 06:07)snaphappy Wrote:  Hi everyone. I haven't been on here for a while, recovering from a back operation. I have not used my camera in a while and would like advice/constructive criticism on these two photos. They were taken at the weekend and the mist was starting to come in.

It's nice to be back
Jane

Hi Jane

Two very nice images! You should be happy with those.

For me the one thing I would change in both would be a crop to get rid of some of the space and give the main subjects slightly better placement in the frame - although "better" is subjective and these crops are only my preference.

I'd also have made the photographer more of a silhouette. I think that works nicely with the fence. My thinking is that here wasn't enough detail for it to have been a character study or portrait, so why not just make him a shape?

There's a great shot to be had on the second location next time you're there - that fisherman right on the end of the spit of land. I think you focus in much more closely on him, with the mist and sunset and ocean beyond that would be a cracking picture.

Examples attached.

I hope your back is well recovered!

Regards
Derek

(Jan 25, 2017, 07:59)delb0y Wrote:  
(Jan 25, 2017, 06:07)snaphappy Wrote:  Hi everyone. I haven't been on here for a while, recovering from a back operation. I have not used my camera in a while and would like advice/constructive criticism on these two photos. They were taken at the weekend and the mist was starting to come in.

It's nice to be back
Jane

Hi Jane

Two very nice images! You should be happy with those.

For me the one thing I would change in both would be a crop to get rid of some of the space and give the main subjects slightly better placement in the frame - although "better" is subjective and these crops are only my preference.

I'd also have made the photographer more of a silhouette. I think that works nicely with the fence. My thinking is that here wasn't enough detail for it to have been a character study or portrait, so why not just make him a shape?

There's a great shot to be had on the second location next time you're there - that fisherman right on the end of the spit of land. I think you focus in much more closely on him, with the mist and sunset and ocean beyond that would be a cracking picture.

Examples attached.

I hope your back is well recovered!

Regards
Derek

Thank you for your comments Derek. I do tend to leave a lot of sky and sea in my photos as I love them both, but I do go over the top sometimes. I think your take on the photos are good, I did debate whether to make the photographer darker, but didn't want to emphasise the grain any more than it is.

My back is getting stronger so able to get out a bit more now Smile

Regards Jane

Wishing you a speedy recovery from the surgery. I think I have back surgery in my future, I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease nearly 2 years ago and it's slowly giving me more and more issues.

I love the second image, on the first I agree with Derek that having the photographer darker may make the scene "pop" more. I would also of liked to see his feet in teh image.

Great images none the less.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Dec 3, 2018, 22:00
Last Post by MrB
May 31, 2017, 14:45