Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Moody portraits

Hey all,

I took some portraits for fun yesterday when my family were over to celebrate Mother's Day - would love to hear your thoughts on these. If you might remember, this is my brother-in-law - the "model" that posed for my BlackRapid camera strap review.

[Image: portrait1.jpg]

[Image: portrait2.jpg]

Both obviously desaturated; the 2nd one with a more aggressive high contrast filter. I also went back and did some spot touches with the exposure brush to bring back the highlights, particularly in the shadows on the face and the dark areas along his arms.

I see the high contrast you were after in both images, but I also see that there is not much detail in the highlights. Specially in the first one. It seems to me that you worked with a red filter and maybe was a bit hard. It also can be that the size and resolution of your images on line took away the detail.

In the first pose he looks shy, and the high position of the camera enhances the feeling. I like the position of the camera in the second one, the light in the upper part of the hood? looks a bit strong, I think.

What kind of light did you use for this series?

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I like the attitude of #2 - I think the treatment works well here.

Nice work Jules; love the cropping and aspect.
I don't know if this is a "Golden Rule", but I've had the best mono portrait results with simulated filtration as follows:
Orange(red for more extreme) for girls; blue(maybe green) for boys: the paler skin tones suit the girlies, whilst the blue filter enhances gritty textures, expression, "machismo".
I also cheat with catchlights in eyes: if I don't get a catchlight, I put one in with a sharp white small paintbrush in PS...if there IS a catchlight but it needs heightening, blat it with the dodge brush set to 3% highlights.
I also cheat with females(er, photographically that is! Wink ) ....judicious use of a blur brush on cheeks, etc; along with cloning out of, er, blemishes.
Cheats(er, that'll be "creative enhancements" then Cool ) as regards male portaiture: darken tones with burn brush set to shadows 3%; also perhaps try duplicating the shot as another layer, blending set to overlay or soft light: really accentuates contrast.
( I won't post examples here Jules as it's tantamount to hijacking your thread, but if you want me to somwehere else, lemme know. There's some examples on me PBase galleries an' all)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks for the comments everyone. Irma, it was a very quick and informal "session" it was in our loungeroom with halogen downlights from the ceiling, against a plain (red) wall. You can't tell, but he's actually sitting on my daughter's little pink chair. Big Grin

Thanks for the tips too Zig - have to try it out. Good suggestion with regards to the catchlights as well.

Dear Julian, technically I can't say anything but you caught and captured so nicely his looking...

Thanks and Love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Sep 3, 2015, 08:55
Last Post by alessya
Feb 12, 2013, 03:19