Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

More Fogo Island Captures

I have received a few emails over the past week, asking to see some more shots from my last outing, so I am posting a few more here, and also on my website.

As most of you know, I love any coastal scene, preferably with a boat in it, or a wharf, or a fishing stage. And if I'm really lucky, all of these in the same shot! Anyway, these images, like the ones in the last posting, were taken on Dec 8th, although from the look of things could just have easily been from mid-summer! You may recall my pano of the harbour in "Seldom Come By" last week, which was taken on such a beautiful, clear and warm day, a sharp contrast to the frigid temperatures and piles of snow in most of the rest of Canada! That was 11 days ago; we are still looking at a green lawn on Dec 19th! I wonder if we will get much snow this year, or whether it will be a repeat performance of last winter, when our snowmobiles sat idle for the entire season. It will definitely not be a white Christmas on Fogo Island. We have been told that there have only been 2 or 3 white Christmases here in the past twenty or so years!

The first three are all similar captures of the same subject, a very old fishing stage in the town of 'Joe Batt's Arm" (gotta love these names!) that has recently been restored to its original condition, with a weathered, (but rather photogenic) hand-made Fogo Island punt that has seen better days, in the foreground.

The next image shows a similar punt, though it is in much better condition. I discovered this one in the nearby town of Tilting.

The final photo is of the very same stage (in Tilting) that I posted a shot of a week or so ago, though from a different angle. I think I prefer this one more, with all the seaweed clinging to the smooth rock.

For these pictures I used my Sony Alpha DSLR (hand-held) with the standard 18-55mm SAM kit lens, which, contrary to popular belief, is actually a very good lens capable of some amazingly clear and sharp photos. No need to spend a bundle on an everyday lens, when this one will do just fine, thank-you!

Well, that's it for now, until this rain decides to stop. According to the forecast, it could be more than a week before the sun peaks out again! Oh well, I guess it beats shoveling snow!

Glen
http://www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

[Image: DSC03918a900pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC03891a900pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC03883a700pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC03962a700pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC04018a700pix.jpg]

Yes, I guess the beached boat is de rigeur, yet I realise there's no note of contrivance. The finest type of old school shooting here...and suits me just fine.
How's the back of late?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post