Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

More New Gear

Found an incredible value in Recording/Live sound equipment.

Read my thoughts and see pictures over at Matthew's Reviews.

CoolTongueCool

Sorry my man, I totally missed this.
That's a really nice, detailed and engaging review. Whereas I'm not totally enamoured of Behringer's reverse engineering modi operandi, nor of their quality control, I do find that they do a good deal more than their price would suggest. And I must say, to get a valved D.I. for Behringer's prices is a good deal. My own experience of Behringer kit is that their cheap components add too much noise to a recording chain but oddly enough I've had every confidence in their stuff in a live setting, feeling that as long as I didn't kick it around the park, it behaved itself fine.
Considering that a "Behringer-equivalent" of whatever stuff one goes for, is around 30% of the "real" article, it's a good way indeed to get up and rocking.
They're full of surprises too: one of their modelling amps gives one of the best clean sounds I've heard; also, their PodXT-alike, the V-Amp, has some darn useful little patches in that are more easily configurable than the "real thing".
That D. I. box is a steal for the price: I've got a Sansamp Bass D.I. that does a creditable version of a driven Ampeg and, yes, is built to withstand a rhino-attack...but I have to admit that one could get an armful of Behringers with more functionality for less cash...and so when one breaks, it'd be merely a matter of cracking opne the next one from the box.
That really is a neat review: readable, informative and detailed: good one..only sorry I didn't read it sooner. Big Grin

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

...forgot...
....er...."floppy ears"...?
How come the nomenclature...or shouldn't I ask...? Tongue

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks for the comments, Zig.

In fact, I would prefer a bass SansAmp but can never find a used one around here at a decent price.
Love their tone and versatility.

What floppy ears?Wink

:d

Carlsboro 50w top and Kustom 2 x 15" J.B.Lansing was what I finished up with. Split lead to get two channels.

I see Ampeg mentioned. A local bass player had an Ampeg with 1 18" speaker in a cab, in the early 60s.
The amp sat inside the cabinet until you needed it, and then you flipped it over and it sat on top.
At the time it made a beautiful sound. (Or maybe it was the musician)
At that time I had a 10 W Watkins :o

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73--Sounds like the Ampeg B115.
My friend had one in the mid '70s.
Tubes (valves) + transformers on a plank that flipped and latched.
Pretty sure there weren't any 18" drivers back then--but it was a sweet sounding amp for bass or clean guitar tones.

Zig--Funny that you mentioned Ampeg re: the SansAmp. Exactly!
I grew weary of dragging my friend's tower of David Eden gear down/up 30 steps across town for every show, so decided to use my boss's Ampeg SVT Pro head and matching 4x10 cab (that lives in my garage already) and found that it's tone was very ballsy and fun to play through.
By adding the Behringer tube preamp up front I was able to send a very hi-fi yet growly tone to the FOH while controlling the amount of sickness onstage.

I'm obviously a lucky man to get to choose between other people's SVT and Eden for stage sound, but the utimate goal is a very pure system consisting of the Behringer tube preamp into a crossover, then on to a stereo power amp driving a pair of 15"s and a Marshall 2x12" guitar cab near-ear-level.
I would prefer to use the PreSonus compressors I have but they will likely end up FOH on vocals and drums, which will free-up my Behringer and/or dbx units for bass rack stage use.

We use Crown MacroTech amps for FOH, but I'm willing to settle for much less just to hear myself and actually OWN what I use and get the pleasure of dicking around with it between gigs (and camera gear payments).

It might be the rosy mists of times remembered, but I seem to recall Watkins(WEM) being very rock and roll..and that tape echo, well....
That's trouser-flapping stuff there, my goodness; for all my non-recorded bass stuff I use the only thing I have, the back-friendly Eden/Nemesis 250W 115; delightful to carry a bass combo that weighs less than my guitar one, to be honest. Nice thread. I did treat myself to to the Pod XT bass amp extension pack, which I have to say for recording is ab-fab..it does a stonking SVT-alike. I bet those 10-inchers really do growl with the SVT; that really is very nice.

(Feb 19, 2010, 00:44)Keith Alan Wrote:  Found an incredible value in Recording/Live sound equipment.

Read my thoughts and see pictures over at Matthew's Reviews.

CoolTongueCool

Just too late to reply. Those reviews are fantastic. I was looking to gain some information about recording and your post is of great help

(Mar 19, 2010, 15:12)Keith Alan Wrote:  Thanks for the comments, Zig.

In fact, I would prefer a bass
car navigation system SansAmp but can never find a used one around here at a decent price.
Love their tone and versatility.

What floppy ears?Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by wulinka
Feb 24, 2006, 11:25