Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

More Portraits ( 4 pics )

Some of the local photographers had a little get together and learn some different lighting . It was a fun time . I got a hand full that i liked . We had 2 models there for us . Please tell me what you think , i was tryin to get a little " artsy " on a couple of these . LOL .

[Image: _MG_3879%20copy%203.jpg]

this one was done with window light and a silver reflector .

2 [Image: _MG_3838%20copy%202.jpg]

3 another one with window light and reflector

[Image: _MG_3842%20copy%203.jpg]

last one

4 some side lighting . I was tryinf to see what i could do with negitive space .

[Image: Image%20copy%202.jpg]

Thanks for looking ....... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Just my take .
#1 I would want both models in focus and a bit less black in front of them
#2 Nice, I like. The focus is on the face, and everything else is subdued, so as not to take your interest away
#3 Not keen.
#4 I like it but bring her left eye out of the shadow. (Select and dodge if poss)
Well done.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks NT ,

i appreciate your comments .

..... Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Very good work Sean. You are improving more and more with every portrait posted. Keep it up.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I love to see your enthusiasm for this kind of photography. I also see that you are doing better every time.

My thought about your pictures..

I like very much your idea in #1, but I find the picture a bit uncompleted... to me it is as if the photographer wanted to give a message but it is not there.

#2 is beautiful. I think to clone out the little bit of the hand you see in the bottom would be fine, and maybe a bit of desaturation in the orange light in the upper corner. About composition, I think placing her eye more in the upper third frames better your picture.

#3 I like it a lot, and the light in her eyes is lovely... Smile

#4 I find a bit hard the shadow in her eyes, and her expression. I think a flirting look, or a sensual smile fit more with the mood your created with the light and the dress. Like the composition there too.. Smile

I love to take this kind of photography... The other day G told me I should place an ad in the local newspaper looking for people willing to pose for me. I still don't know how this would work but I am really thinking about taking the chance.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:I love to take this kind of photography... The other day G told me I should place an ad in the local newspaper looking for people willing to pose for me. I still don't know how this would work but I am really thinking about taking the chance.
Irma you may not need to put a ad in the paper , there are a lot of models looking for " free " prints , they call it TFP ( time for prints ) , if you do a search for model sites in your area im sure youll find plenty of models willing to shoot with you , all you would have to do is show them some of your work ( which is great ) and they wouldnt say no . Im lucky enough to work with the girl in these shots ( the red head ) and we are planning on building her a portfolio , she is the same girl that i showed in the studio with the high key.

Thanks for all the comments Peto , and Irma . I will post more later , I have a 2 year old that i took pics of too so tryin to edit both sessions is very time consuming LOL .

......... Shawn

Thanks Shawn for your advice about TFP. I look for information and flickr has a German forum for these things. I will ask them how to get some models... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

All are very professional looking. I like #3 particularly because the expression is so intimate.

Thanks Toad ,

I am glad you liked these ..

...... Shawn

Shawn - I particulary like number 3.

Canon stuff.

Great work Shawn, you are excelling in an area I find myself sadly lacking. I am really not comfortable with portrait work.

Thanks WS and EB ,

I think the thing that i like about shooting this style is that it takes a lot of time to shoot and the girls start to " lightin up " which makes it easier to " pose " them . Thats the part that i really have to work on .

Thanks for the comments ...... SHawn

Great work Shawn, I really like them. It must take a lot of courage to work with models, especially if you're not used to it.

I like #1 the best - very interesting and unique..
#4 is nice too - could be used in a magazine, methinks... Big Grin

Hey Shawn. Think these are all excellent, really top notch. I particularly like number 2 and 4. I have never tried portrait photography, seems quite intimate in a way, will have to give it a go one day.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” - Helmut Newton.

Thanks ST and Navis ,

I am sure yall would do great in portrait photography .

....... Shawn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by gerainte
Jan 24, 2014, 15:24
Last Post by Wall-E
Jan 6, 2014, 12:39
Last Post by Korry
May 20, 2013, 08:58