Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Moth, mantis & spider

I've been trying to use my flash to take macro shots and found that it works better than without it. I need to get a ring flash though since I'm just using a regular flash attached to the hotshoe.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great efforts. Try using paper tissue over the flash head, it will diffuse it, try several different layers, to evaluate best. I keep on with a rubber band. Ed.

Nice images. I tried to look at the file info but it was scrambled, for some reason. What lens were you using, and what aperture?

(Sep 25, 2013, 01:19)EdMak Wrote:  Great efforts. Try using paper tissue over the flash head, it will diffuse it, try several different layers, to evaluate best. I keep on with a rubber band. Ed.

Actually my flash unit has a built in diffuser which I used but I'll try paper tissue as well. Thanks Ed.

(Sep 25, 2013, 07:28)Dean Wrote:  Nice images. I tried to look at the file info but it was scrambled, for some reason. What lens were you using, and what aperture?

My lens I'm using is the kit lens that came with my Canon 60d which is an 18 to 135mm lens. I was also using macro extension tubes & my aperture was set at f11.

They are a little bit soft but not unexpected with that set up. The spider looks an ugly brute. I was confused by the background banding in the Mantis image. Is that in the post processing or a shadow from the flash?

(Sep 25, 2013, 09:28)Dean Wrote:  They are a little bit soft but not unexpected with that set up. The spider looks an ugly brute. I was confused by the background banding in the Mantis image. Is that in the post processing or a shadow from the flash?

It's probably a shadow from the flash. I did a little post processing but not that much, just adjusted the contrast & sharpness a little. The spider is an ugly brute. As you can see he's at least a foot in diameter!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Freeman
Apr 27, 2015, 03:53
Last Post by EnglishBob
Apr 25, 2015, 10:34
Last Post by czkid
Jan 17, 2015, 07:58