Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Mudflats & boat

This was taken mid morning in Portishead, Bristol, England. Canon 70d. 400 iso. Approx 100mm lens. 1/300 sec, f11. Extensive dodging & burning, levels & curves in cs6.

[Image: IMG_0483mudampboat_zpsb19c94fc.jpg]

Any comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Derek.

Prefer to see more top. Like to see the original. Good capture. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

(Nov 18, 2014, 15:01)EdMak Wrote:  Prefer to see more top. Like to see the original. Good capture. Cheers. Ed.

Thanks Ed. Here's the original jpeg. It would be interesting to see you or anyone else work their magic.

[Image: IMG_0483_zpsc629a1a0.jpg]

No magic here, Derek, but here's my take on it...as you see I have gone for the colour version as I love mud (brought up at Maldon on the mud where our sea salt often comes from), added the touches to the water and so forth... Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Derek, there's not much to work with in the small JPEG and it looks quite soft. However, the following are 16:9 crops -

Colour:

Mono:

Cheers.
Philip

Fantastic shot!!! Really nice!

Entirely different!!?? Night Shot. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Hi Derek - My take on your image is that the far background is too busy and especially where it is vying for attention at the top of the boats mast, so I cleared this just a touch. Also I think the timbers look better ending in the corner of the frame and just a touch less foreground.
Peter

[Image: IMG_0483_zpsc629a1a0copy.jpg]

Photography is a never-ending journey

If I may say all the versions made me look as it were, though I must say Philip's black and white is a cracker in my eyes with the way the light is treated and the way it retains the tricky background but reduces it from a feature to relatively low level context. Also I do prefer the wider view used in the various versions. Ed - yours is genius as so often (love it!) but you left various bits in the water and the bit of light on the mast - was that intentional - what is your thinking there? Regards all, I learn every time, Jeff

Jeff, I confess I never even noticed them. Just decided to go a different route. Moonlight reflections, is a good excuse? Regards. Ed.

To each his own!

Ed Ah but you brought such a lot to the party! Jeff

Thank you for all your comments and different interpretations of the same image, all of which were interesting. I am a great advocate of mono so I find myself drawn to Philips, but I am sure you all have your own favourites.
Derek.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Dec 3, 2018, 21:16
Last Post by WesMal
May 4, 2018, 09:34
Last Post by Jocko
Jun 14, 2016, 12:15