Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mum and sis

I posted this exact same thing on another forum, for more opinions, but I'll put it here too and see what you all think:

Someone pointed out to be that I'll never improve it I don't post for critique to learn from all of you Big Grin

So, in the midst of end-of-sem-rush-assignments-study-period, my mum just got back from being away for a month, so by using my equipment to take photographs of her, I can "introduce" the new equipment to her and if I take nice photos of her hopefully she won't tell me off for spending Tongue

My attempt at portraits, please examine technique, posing, composition. For posing, I did not control, because what I saw seemed ok, but if there's anythings that can be improved, please tell, so I know for next time. Really want to learn! Examine and critique, and perhaps suggest how I *should* do it.

Set up was an umbrella to my left and mirror on the right (is this the right terminology?). White wall as background

#1[Image: 521414098_916ccad88a.jpg]

#2[Image: 521444877_9fbc05f425.jpg]

Go go go! Big Grin

Nice shots Adam ,

I am by far no expert , but the first thing that " grabbed " me was in #1 she is very " square " to you. You should turn her just a little bit ( and the chair ) . Maybe about 1/4 turn , i wish i knew how to explain it better . Also I think the lighting looks good too .
I really like the second shot very " candid " .

nice job ....... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Thanks Shawn Smile
I'll keep that in mind and give it a go next time! Big Grin

I like the first shot a lot. Not many people can sit square on to a shot and look comfortable but your mum looks very natural. The lighting really shows off the chair and the whole thing looks good.(reminds me of a portrait you'd sometimes see on the back of a book showing the author). Perhaps a bit too much shine on the face though. Was there another light behind the subject?

to me #1 is the strongest picture from both, (both are great) but #1 takes a lot my attention because of your Mami's expression. She has a personality that shines through the picture.

I like a lot the pose, because it looks natural, relaxed and also elegant. It is not easy to pose this way and still look great. Like the colors of the clothes, all colors match nicely. I think the light behind her is not quite centered...? I like how the background looks at the right, but at the left it looks like a hot spot without color (her elbow level).

I would work a bit with the light on her face, it looks a bit shiny. However, it might not be a problem with the light setup, as we can see in your #2 picture, where your sis has nice light in the face, your Mami's is a bit shiny. If I had this problem I would use a bit of powder makeup, there is some translucid powder with no color, and it is special for this kind of skin. Without overdoing just a bit in the cheeks and forehead, not to destroy the natural look.

Great work with this series Adam.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks essaljay and Irma Smile
Yes, I put a light behind my mum, with a green gel, just to see how it'll turn out Smile

I'd admit that the pose may look natural because... it was :O haha, my mother just happily sat there while I snapped away. You are right, the light is not centred, I didn't realise at the time.

My mother was doing some things in the kitchen before I called her over to play with my gear Smile so quite impromptu, no makeups Smile but next time!!! I will make sure that this problem is avoided!
I think it's oily skin, I've got that too, oil comes out and makes it shiny Smile

Thanks!

Using a copy..Rolleyes
Add a little colour to mum's face highlight's and sis's over eyebrows at say 25% saturation.
Pick it up from the cheek area.
Then ...
Select mum and sis's faces and then deselect eyes and mouth's. Fairly roughly with a little feathering 5-10
gaussian blur (not too much) .

That should take the shine off. Maybe in more ways than one.
They are both worthy of a place on the wall.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Great thanks NT73!
I should try that out! Big Grin

Unfortunately, these were set on SMALL setting on my camera, as I was just playing... lalala Smile