Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Muse Ascending

Sorry for the poncy title.
Taken in Bath, adjacent to the Roman baths from which the city(or town) gets its name.
For some reason(like not concentrating) I used completely the wrong aperture of f2.8, knowing in advance that I'd have had to get much closer in order to make any use of depth of field.
Consequently I had to use all manner of selective blurs and messing about in pp.

The maddest thing too: I was framing so as to get the sphinx-type stone creature in the left, into the left corner....this was my "symbolic" inclusion to allude to the creativity and freedom of the buskers: I honestly did not even see the bird at the time, let alone try to include it.

My...I wish such happy accidents happened in my real life as much as they did in my photographic life that day!

[Image: 1649buskbird2_Bweb.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Delightful, Zig. The aperture (intentional or not) is spot on. Without the bird, I would still like this shot very much - but the bird is gravy on the chips.

I think the selective blurring and sharpening on this one gives it a great dream like quality.

With the bird it's a wonderful shot. I wonder how it would look in straight black and white.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

It is a beautiful picture Zig, what I like the most is the light!! I don't know if that is because the background looks so dark, but with this picture I could feel that warm that the sunlight gives. Also I see some symbols that give me hope and positive thoughts. Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

You're right on the money there Don: I wrestled at length with whether to post a monochrome version. Not only that, but as you say, a "straight" black and white(without any simulation of toners) turned out to be remarkably fresh and vibrant.
I think I'll post a few different pp'd versions in the "Image Manipulation" section...meanwhile, here is the main mono version below.
I could have chosen green filtration(not toning it green of course) to bring out stone textures, but instead I used red filtration to heighten contrast.
Thank you Irma; yes, the idea of a bird symbolising creativity, seems to be common throughout history.

[Image: 1649buskbird2_AbwWEB.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I think it loses a lot of its dream-like quality in B&W (strangely enough). I like your B&W treatments a lot, but this one needs the color, I think.

Great timing with everything here Zig - colour works better for me.

Canon stuff.

Dear Zig, with the bird you captured such a nice composition, I loved them,

Thank you,
Blessing and Happiness,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams