Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Should Photography be Illegal?

I thought some of you might like to read this article...

http://www.vividlight.com/articles/3802.htm

Wow... interesting J...

I like what he says:

Quote:If you are approached there is no reason to be afraid. You are not committing a criminal act. The officer will be trying to get a read on you based on how you act and will most likely ask you for some form of ID. Show them your driver's license and understand that they're doing their job. Being friendly goes a long way.

Yelling at a cop that they are infringing on your rights isn't going to do any good. Do you really think the cop will say, "Yup. Ya know you're right! How silly of me. Can I hold your camera bag while you get that shot?"

Getting in their face can only make the process longer and more painful. Let the officer go through their standard operating procedure and see what happens next. Don't be surprised if they call in your name to see if you are on a watch list. If they do so, they're doing their job.

I guess you may get some that are overzealous, but all in all, they're probably doing their job. Being smart or trying to kick up a fuss will probably get you nowhere...

A person who is really a criminal or a terrorist or a spy is more likely to take a photo with something less obvious - like a camera phone.

I am growing increasingly weary of constant vigilance against terrorists and criminals. I feel manipulated by the new policies - and I believe that our rights are being eroded based on percieved and imagined threats (and a few real ones). Increased surveilance and interference from authorities is not the price of freedom - it is the end of it.

Having said that - you should never get in the face of a cop or security guard - just a bad idea - but some of them are not just doing their job - they are genuinely over-zealous. There is nobody that flaunts their authority so much as someone with just a little bit of authority.

Quote:I should also recognize that there are some photographers who would deliberately bait police by taking photos in areas where they are sure to draw attention and then refuse to provide ID and dare police to do something about it. This type of asinine, self absorbed behavior benefits no one and serves only to distract police from their job.

I guess the next scavenger hunt won't be of how many government buildings we can shoot Tongue

It was an interesting read, I'd really like to know where I am able to access all laws concerning photography - then I might be able to know when I'm not allowed to shoot.

Like in the library on Monday, Peter was approached and told he wasn't allowed to take photographs without written permission! ooOoOooOO!

One area of law that the author did not mention that I am very familiar with is private property & trespass laws. (Used to be a rent-a-cop) While I only know Ontario law specifically, most 'western' jurisdictions have very similar laws and they can seriously ruin your day!

Goes like this... if you are not on a sidewalk or on the street you are on private property. So-called 'public' property (even parks) is still private property - it is owned by the government on your behalf. Trespassing is 1) being somewhere you shouldn't be, 2) doing something you shouldn't be doing, on private property. The first one is obvious, but the second can be tricky! You are trespassing if you break the rules of the property (set by the owners) even if the rules aren't posted anywhere. This means that property owners can (and often do) make up the rules as they go along! So malls, libraries, bus terminals, etc. can all legally tell you not to take pictures while on their property. The most they can usually do, however, is tell you to stop and/or tell you to leave - don't take any crap about handing over film, etc. unless it's a real cop!

No-one (almost) can stop you from taking photos OF private property from the sidewalk or street... or from someone else's private property.

If you get tangled up with a security guard about photography, here's a few things to think about from the other side of the badge...

1) Don't be an ass - that's my job.
2) I make make minimum wage. I got nothin' to lose, how about you?
3) I know you're smarter than me... you proving it to me just pisses me off.
4) I'd really love an opportunity to prove I could be a real cop... any takers?
5) Promise to send me picture of that blonde over there and I'll look the other way...

Wink

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

adam Wrote:I guess the next scavenger hunt won't be of how many government buildings we can shoot Tongue

It was an interesting read, I'd really like to know where I am able to access all laws concerning photography - then I might be able to know when I'm not allowed to shoot.

Like in the library on Monday, Peter was approached and told he wasn't allowed to take photographs without written permission! ooOoOooOO!

YEs i was tolfd off for taking photos in the library~_~ ...
such evil people ... i dont think its as bad in Aus tho ...
the media in america keeps the population very pessimistic about things..
you would get what i mean if you have watched bowling for columbine..

Toad Wrote:A person who is really a criminal or a terrorist or a spy is more likely to take a photo with something less obvious - like a camera phone.

I am growing increasingly weary of constant vigilance against terrorists and criminals. I feel manipulated by the new policies - and I believe that our rights are being eroded based on percieved and imagined threats (and a few real ones). Increased surveilance and interference from authorities is not the price of freedom - it is the end of it.

Having said that - you should never get in the face of a cop or security guard - just a bad idea - but some of them are not just doing their job - they are genuinely over-zealous. There is nobody that flaunts their authority so much as someone with just a little bit of authority.

Right on, Toad man. Right on.

Cave canem

In Canada we haven't got that bad yet. We can't take photos in most shopping malls though (management rules). I have been lectured by the bus driver and nearly thrown off the bus for taking pictures of bus riders, so I started taking photos out the window--which was ok. We don't yet have laws about taking pictures of landmarks.

Take a look at this:

http://www.thestranger.com/2004-07-15/city.html

or this

http://www.nyip.com/tips/special_report1004.php

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post