Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My First Model Shoot!

Believe it or not, I attended my first model shoot yesterday. It was a daunting experience - I accompanied a friend as a visitor to his camera club, and they have these sessions once a month. Basically they had 2 rooms set up with 2 models, with accompanying backdrop, wireless studio lights, reflectors and paraphernalia. After a very brisk 5 minute introduction on settings, etiquette etc., the photographers basically formed a line to take turns at shooting the model one at a time.

There were about 30 photographers all up - I found that the experience was very daunting, especially for a first timer. Not only was I conscious of directing the model through her poses, I couldn't ignore the fact that there was a bunch of photographers at my back watching as well.

[Image: IMG_20100405_9120.jpg]

The pace was very brisk - each photographer had probably 2 minutes each with the model. I found this was enough for around 3 - 4 poses. After everyone had a turn, then they experimented with different lighting setups, props, etc. I think if one did a bit of homework beforehand, with some basics or theory under their belt, plus a few poses in mind, as well as few techniques / settings they wanted to practice, they would probably have gotten quite a bit out of the session. All in all, I really enjoyed it - looking forward to trying it again.

[Image: IMG_20100405_9101.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20100405_9103.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20100405_9106.jpg]

Has anyone attended a model shoot or something similar? Anyway, let me know what you think of the above.

I would be happy with those. Smile

In last three, I am distracted by the background colour change towards the bottom. To do with the light, I guess.
But for a first shoot, I would most probably have done a lot worse.
My knees were knocking an my heart was pounding, when I first tried something similar.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

#1 is ace: lovely lighting and angle..and she looks darn tasty. There's something about her mouth in the second 2 that suggests this is not her best side; hair is nice..maybe a touch more left side? I'm with nt re the non-uniform lighting at the bottom. To be honest, considering you were cacking it, these are mighty fine....balancing lighting, angle, directing a model, ratchetting up the confidence and projection to direct self: are all reasons why I don't do model shots. I do remember that the biggest way for me to free myself and get things to flow, was to ar-e about and try all sorts of mad angles, varying the height of the camera to explore angles suggesting "heroic", "submissive", etc; If our Rufus is about, he'd have every sympathy for the whole heartstoppingness of the venture. I'd be pleased with these Jules, I hope you are too.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks guys - yes, I'm pleased by the images, but I'm almost certain they were due to the proficiency of the model rather than my own. Big Grin

NT73 - yes, the backdrop for the last 3 was actually meant for headshots only as it didn't extend out like in the first image. Traps for beginners I suppose - where's CS4 and content-aware fill when I need it?? Big Grin

This sounds so nice Julian, shoud be so exciting too. I wished to be there too Smile But I think you did great, especially the last three are so beautiful, I can't talk about technical details, but I loved them, you captured a nice poses of her.

Good Luck and thank you for sharing with us, to have a chance for this kind of experiences, you are so lucky Julian.

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

I am very happy to see that you have tried model photography, Jules. You did very well in your first attempt. I have done it already few times and still every time I know I will be taking pictures to people I become so nervous.

I only would like to say that I find the light at your right a bit strong. It would be nice in your next time in the studio to see different settings in your camera or reduce the power in the light. I am not sure but it seems that the last one was taken only with one light? I think in this pose to crop a bit closer (framing her face and shoulder only) would be another possibility, the thing is that the area in the shadows (her back) seems to be bigger that the area of her face (lit).

Looking forward to seeing more of your model photography... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks again for the comments.

Irma, they basically set up the lights and then told us what aperture, shutter speed and ISO to use for correct exposure. If I recall correctly, the main light was on the model's left at a 45" angle, and there was a reflector in the same position on the opposite side. Behind her and to her right, there was another light for her hair.

I would definitely like to experiment a bit more ...

yeah me too

Wink
Smile

Big Grin

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Jules - sorry to be so late to comment. I've been trying to come up with something meaningful to say that hasn't already been said. I would be very happy with these if I were you. If I had to single one out, it would probably be the first one - but they are all very good and all very different poses. The lights feel a bit hot to me, but I am sure that you could adjust that in post processing if you were so inclined. Well done!

Hi Jules - I can imagine your feelings during the shoot. I sometimes feel like that when having to shoot a wedding for another photographer. I always feel a little "exposed" when doing it Smile

The lights are definitely too hot on the right - guess they gave you the wrong settings or maybe the model was too close to the main light?

Number 1 is the best shot but I feel it would be better cropped so that her arm is not cut off at her elbow.

Number 3 may have been improved by getting her to look down following the line of her shoulder.

I have done one model shoot with other photographers - I already posted it here on ST a while ago. But here is a link if you want to have a look - mine was out doors though.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewto...0551#70551

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Thanks again Chris, especially for the tips. I remember the shoot you posted - wonderful photos as always.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by PhotoPlay
Nov 15, 2013, 22:35
Last Post by nia
Jun 29, 2011, 23:46