Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first

Street candids, this isnt exactly my venue. I found it quite fun but im not fully comfortable doing this kidn of photography as of yet. Its not that i dont like it, or i dont approve of it as a genre, it has more to do with my "insecurity" to take pictures of people without them knowing/approv.

Anyways here are a few from today.

All taken with the D2X + 135mm/2 ais (iso:400 F/2)

[Image: st_135_1.jpg]

[Image: st_135_2.jpg]

[Image: st_135_3.jpg]

[Image: st_135_4.jpg]

[Image: st_135_5.jpg]

[Image: st_135_6.jpg]

[Image: st_135_7.jpg]

[Image: st_135_8.jpg]

C&C most welcome.

Kindest

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

I really like the sixth shot - third from last - because of the girl that's turned to look back at the camera. There's nothing wrong with the others, and some of them are quite good, but #6 has something right about it. The personal connection between the subject and viewer is what makes it much more powerful than the others.

There certainly are some 'issues' surrounding candid street photography. Rolleyes (Where I am, all but #3 should have had a model release.) I'm now incredibly self-conscious when I have a camera out in public, which is a reaction that's completely unsupported by the general reality. Most people are quite courteous or completely oblivious, and the very few times I've been asked to exclude people from photographs, they've all been "characters" who weren't in them in the first place.

Good for you for getting out there and doing it.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Very nice candids Paul. I love the way you exclude the subject from the blurry background.
My faves would be #6 because of all Matt said, and also because the girl has really beautiful eyes and very expressive, and the last one... The detail of his hair is great...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

#2 and #5 for me, Paul. No detailed analysis, I'm afraid - I spent too long analyzing Autonamaton2's shots tonight - I just like those ones the best.

they are very good and this lense seems to be a true jewel.

My favorites are no. 2 and 4, I think, the third is nice too, although not exactly street photography.
First and fifth don't seem the strongest to me, not concentrated enough....

While I like the girl in 7, there is a bit too much of the banister in the foreground for my taste, and the
ball like reflection in front of her forehead is slightly irritating.

the composition of the last is great!

Keep going with this, looks very promising!

Uli

No 3 looks like he has bigger problems than someone taking his photo.

Really great shots, Paul.

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Thanx everyone for the kind words and critique, much appreciated.

Will have to do this again, and change the approach a little, instead of just snapping, im gonna ask if i may take the pciture.

This will probebly make me more comfortable and improve the connection between me and the subject.

Thanx!

A really nice "feel" here, particularly as a series; I like the pp treatment too. I also like the integrity of taking them full-frame(I know they are...didn't Cartier-Bresson include part of the area outside the neg. just to "prove" his decisive moments were as seen rather than cropped?). And yet...(and this is not a complaint): I'm not sure that these are, as Irma suggests, candids as such: that focal length makes for a good series with all the shots in tandem...but it also gives(for me) a remote, almost voyeuristic sense of peering into life from a distance.
I wonder...if it's as scary with a tele it might be worth just biting the bullet, sticking to a nifty-fifty or wider, then rather than snapping away, striking up a conversation with one of the potential subjects, including the photo almost as an afterthought later: might put self and subject at their ease?
I remember on a photo-course once, we had to shoot some street candids with nothing longer than a 50mm. I found it became more successful when I gave a bit of cash or a cigarette to some folks who were living on the streets. After a good 10 minutes, I brought up the subject of a a photo: both me and them were more at ease: OK, I lost any sense of spontaneity but did gain a certain feel of intimacy/portraiture. The closeness of the subject and the focal length seemed in some way to ennoble the subject too..and I felt quite cowardly when I went out again the following week and hid behind a 135mm!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

These are really good--sharp as a tack and unself-conscious. You must have good equipment.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Zig
Tanx, your input and thoughts are much appreciated, and i totally agree with you.

Don
Thanx!

Good yea, but good loking ?Big Grin
[Image: 135_2_ais_2.jpg]