Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My recient works.

Hi all... Smile

I had a health problem during the past weeks that prevented me from walking much and it was very painful, I was in a not so nice mood... Sad (I have a heel spur) ..... Sad
Still I can't walk much, but I am wearing insoles now, and with therapy I am getting better day by day.

I have worked with some stills with fruits mainly. Here there are some of my pictures. I hope you enjoy them.

Apples, flowers and nuts.

[Image: IMG_5332-Edit.jpg]

Oranges and water

[Image: IMG_5370-Edit.jpg]

Thanks for looking ... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Very nice work Irma. I like the waterglass in the second. I was looking for your reflection in it but I cannot see you. Wink
I prefer the first though, somehow it reminds me of Christmas as a child.
We used to get an apple and an orange and nuts and sweets in our pillow case. (stocking)

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

About the second one, I am a little visible there but I didn't want to clean it, I found the distortions of the glass, interesting and giving light to that part of the image.

You are right about the first one... there is a bit of Christmas flavor here. I see that here in Germany some houses have bowls with walnuts and some fruits... the colorful flowers come from my Mexican identity... Wink

Thanks for your comment NT... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Awesome work, I. We don;t see enough of you - but that's OK - wonderful when we do.

I know this isn't critique forum - bit we have never traditionally held on that so,,

#1: excellent but too much white. Pull the crop up a hair on the bottom to put the subject in the 1/3 - 2/3 zone.

#2: a faint crop on the right maybe -- but primarily: the orange segments feel dry to me, I would select them and do a bit of a treatment to make them more *juicy*. You are way beyond me telling you how to do that - but I look forward to the results...

Beautiful images and lovely arrangements. You have an exceptional eye for still life and the small details that make up the whole.

I find that I'm sitting here and just keep looking at the peeled orange sections. There's so much in the shapes, colours, and textures there.

(I even have to marvel at how clean the glassware is - that's an eternal struggle for me, and something that I know takes patience and care to set up.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks Toad, Matthew for your comment... Smile

Matthew you are right about working with glassware. I normally wash them with window cleaning liquid and dry them with paper. Very carefully pour the water and remove all bubbles with Q-tips. After cleaning all my pieces I start setting up wearing white gloves. This saves a lot of time cleaning in post processing.

Toad, thanks for your review on my pictures. Smile

#1 I reworked my crop in this one, removing the dark area beneath the board. I have to say that I like it, as I see more symmetry in the framing.

Here is the result.

[Image: IMG_5332-Edit-Edit.jpg]

#2 Now that you commented about the segments... you are right, it took time for me to get the picture, so they got dry. Also the light is reflecting in the skin... Next time I will take care of this detail. Maybe setting up in a way that the light is not so frontal. I added a bit of color, I think they look better.

[Image: 14_IMG_5370-Edit.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

First of all, I have to apologize for critiquing your work - you have passed way beyond almost everyone that posts here, and my critiques are the worst kind of self aggrandizing ego...

Having said that, I think #1 is improved by the crop - the edge of the table is very interesting, but distracts from the subject. So even though I am apologetic about critiquing your work, I am appreciative that you just didn't tell me to flake off, and that hopefully the image is improved, You are both my student and my mentor - make no mistake.

#2 still isn't juicy enough for me. sorry. I would like to see what happens if you really go for it...

Lovely work Irma - the attention to details is great.

Canon stuff.

Toad Wrote:#2 still isn't juicy enough for me. sorry. I would like to see what happens if you really go for it...
I think you will have to sink your teeth into it Irma, and dribble the juice all over the table. Big Grin
I wonder if a little olive oil/glycerine on the slices would make them look juicy. That means taking it again though. (Although you don't need to do the full scene to experiment).

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Toad, I have no words to say about your thoughts of my work... Thanks... Smile I would be worried if one day I post a picture and you don't give me your review.. Feel free to do it any time in any forum I post my works. Smile

Quote:#2 still isn't juicy enough for me. sorry. I would like to see what happens if you really go for it...
I had to laugh when I read this... you know me well.... Smile

Chris, thanks so much for your comment... I am very happy you like my pictures... Smile

NT, thanks for the idea... I didn't use oil, but water, let's see how you all see the result. I am posting a new thread with clementines... Smile

Paul Cezanne

These are great Irma, especially #1. As Chris said, the attention to detail is fantastic.
The lighting is gorgeous without being cliche, and the colours and tones are really punchy without being too saturated or contrasty.
The composition of #1 is also really interesting. The diagonal line of the tablecloth gives it some dynamics without detracting from the main subjects, and the colours complement each other perfectly.
The whole thing is a perfect balancing act.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Thanks Adrian for your comment... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by wulinka
May 19, 2007, 01:28
Last Post by Banded Drake
Jul 17, 2005, 13:04