Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Myself and wife - Studio Portrait

Shot in a 1st year studio at uni. Set up as follows, sorry I can't draw a diagram on a touch pad.

.[Image: f1117388.jpg]

3-light set up, studio lighting.

Fill light was directly above camera, using a softbox. Main light was at 2 o'clock from the subject position, using a reflective umbrella. Background light was off the right side of frame, using a large honeycomb grid.

Metering.

I first metered the fill on its own at 1/60 & 100 ISO and got an f-stop of 5.6. I then metered both the fill and main together, adjusting the main until I got an f-stop of 10; 1.6 stops higher than the fill alone, giving an illumninance ratio of 3:1.

Therefore final exposure was ISO 100 @ 1/60 sec @ f10. I focused on my wife's eyes, then set a 10 second timer and jumped in.

My own observations:

Should have pulled the background light futher back to increase coverage, and get the background lit up evenly behind both of us.

Critique away!

(Edit: Also I probably should have combed my hair!)

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Expressions great. Pose - very nice very flattering. The light is great on you - on your wife - a bit glaring. I would take the entire exposure down a bit to reduce the janglies... on my monitor (not always the best indicator) - the exposures on your wife's T-shirt and face look burned. Take it down just a hair and you have a winner here.

Toad Wrote:Expressions great. Pose - very nice very flattering. The light is great on you - on your wife - a bit glaring. I would take the entire exposure down a bit to reduce the janglies... on my monitor (not always the best indicator) - the exposures on your wife's T-shirt and face look burned. Take it down just a hair and you have a winner here.
I agree with Toad on the exposure of your wife's face - it is a bit hot. You both look great.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Feb 4, 2021, 12:19
Last Post by EnglishBob
Dec 3, 2018, 21:23
Last Post by delb0y
Nov 14, 2016, 05:56