Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nettles

I couldn't find an assignment thread for wild plants, so I'm posting these two here. They are of two different nettle plants in dense woodland. Both are illuminated by a shaft of sunlight - the first was side-lighting and the second back-lighting.

1. Nettle plant:

2. Nettle leaf:

Photos taken with a Pentax K-5 II and a 35-70 zoom lens set at 70mm, and images processed in PaintShop Pro X6.

Cheers.
Philip

Excellent, all round. Ed.

To each his own!

Thank you, Ed.

Cheers.
Philip

Yes indeed Philip, two highly commendable photographs.

Regards.

Phil.

I did not have to brave dense woodland to capture these images, but, merely take a walk around our front garden. Credit for the blooms are down to Mrs J wholly and solely, as anything I try to cultivate is invariably subject to the kiss of death. In fact it might be legitimately said, that I am to horticulture what the late Cyril Smith was to hang gliding. Tongue

To our friends who are not living in the UK. Cyril Smith was a politician of mammoth proportions weighing in at some 29 stones or 406 pounds. (There's 14 pounds 'lbs' to a stone. So much more logical than all this Kilo nonsense, well, it is to my generation). So a big guy.

So to the Techie stuff.
Nikon D300, ISO200, F/14, 125sec, 200mm, M/Mode - Pattern, Manual, Sharpness Hard, White Balance - Auto.

Thank you for your comment about the nettles, Phil.

Although not a gardener myself (only a lawnmower guide), I am fond of roses, and I appreciate your photos here. I think that #1 and #3 are very nice images with lovely natural colours. For me, the rose in #2 might be slightly too saturated but, if it were mine, I would want to tone down the bright background there.

Cheers.
Philip

Beautiful captures; excellent series!!

(Jun 25, 2014, 07:06)MrB Wrote:  Thank you for your comment about the nettles, Phil.

Although not a gardener myself (only a lawnmower guide), I am fond of roses, and I appreciate your photos here. I think that #1 and #3 are very nice images with lovely natural colours. For me, the rose in #2 might be slightly too saturated but, if it were mine, I would want to tone down the bright background there.

Cheers.
Philip

Hi Philip,

I'm so pleased you pointed that out, I wondered if anyone would. I'm not entirely surprised at the result as I was trying out the 'auto' functions in the PP software. It's not bad as perhaps a speedy correctional tool, but, there seems to me to be a need for additional human input. So thank you for yours. Smile

Regards.

Phil.

(Jul 2, 2014, 02:05)Jeffbridge Wrote:  Beautiful captures; excellent series!!

Thank you Jeff. It can be quite surprising the amount of subject matter which can be found in one's own gardens. I'd recommend everyone to get out and have a good look at their own. A window box can in itself provide a lot of good subjects, especially if you're into 'macro'.

Regards.

Phil.

(Jun 24, 2014, 17:59)Phil J Wrote:  I did not have to brave dense woodland to capture these images, but, merely take a walk around our front garden. Credit for the blooms are down to Mrs J wholly and solely, as anything I try to cultivate is invariably subject to the kiss of death. In fact it might be legitimately said, that I am to horticulture what the late Cyril Smith was to hang gliding. Tongue

To our friends who are not living in the UK. Cyril Smith was a politician of mammoth proportions weighing in at some 29 stones or 406 pounds. (There's 14 pounds 'lbs' to a stone. So much more logical than all this Kilo nonsense, well, it is to my generation). So a big guy.

So to the Techie stuff.
Nikon D300, ISO200, F/14, 125sec, 200mm, M/Mode - Pattern, Manual, Sharpness Hard, White Balance - Auto.

Hi Phil
I love roses and you have some great shots there. I like the nettle leaf with all the detail on it. I have been trying some of the fauna photography, but my standard is not up to yours. Great photos.

Regards
Jane

Last one does it for me. Red was always a problem when I did Video in early days, never really got much better, also found this with Digital. 3 goodies though Phil. Ed.

To each his own!