Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Gear!

Hey all, just thought I'd share my latest acquisition as I'm in the process of rounding out my 7D kit.

First stop - telephoto zoom. I splurged a bit and got a Canon 70-200mm f4 IS. When I moved from Nikon I sold my 70-200 f2.8 so I do miss the longer range for special occasions like weddings, and trips to the zoo, etc. I chose the f4 for size and weight (and also a bit for budgetary reasons) as the 2.8 was twice the weight.

Next stop - I'm thinking of a fast prime, probably a Sigma 30mm f1.4 which will give me a 48mm equiv. on a crop body.

That should keep me happy for a while...

That's an excellent lens, good call. I like its size – not as overwhelming as the f/2.8, and you can still get a tripod ring for it if you ever want to. And I've heard great things about the Sigma 30/1.4, as well, so it should be a great next move.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Well I've moved! And ordered the Sigma 30mm f1.4 too... Big Grin

So I now have a versatile 15-85 zoom, and a 30mm prime for walking around / low light and also a 70-200mm for longer reach. I've also got a 60mm 2.8 Macro but I find that I hardly touch that one - it's a bit long for indoor shots and I discovered that I don't do many macros. Big Grin

Anyway, should keep me happy for a while... until I get the full frame itch. Then I'm in trouble because everything apart from the 70-200mm uses a EF-s mount (crop body only).

Why the Sigma 30 vs a canon? (I'm looking at the same lens, just wondering what made you go for that one.)

Nice jules... I hear nothing but praise for the Siggy 30mm.
And you can't go wrong with any of the 70-200s... just pick the one that best suits your aching back and aching pocket.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

(Aug 18, 2012, 04:57)slejhamer Wrote:  Why the Sigma 30 vs a canon? (I'm looking at the same lens, just wondering what made you go for that one.)

I guess compared to the Canon 28mm f/1.8 you gain 2/3 stop and the Sigma is rumoured to be slightly sharper (but AF not quite as good).

Both lenses get good reviews though.

I have a Sigma 28mm f/1.8 DC (full frame) lens which is very different beast to the 30mm f/1.4. While it's optically not bad, it has the worst AF of any lens I've ever used. Slow, noisy, clumsy and inaccurate. If you're a MF shooter then it would be a good option because it's cheap, but if not then it's a paperweight.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

(Aug 18, 2012, 04:57)slejhamer Wrote:  Why the Sigma 30 vs a canon? (I'm looking at the same lens, just wondering what made you go for that one.)

Just from reading on the net, the Sigma is supposed to be sharper wide open. Plus f1.4 vs f1.8. The down sides are it's for crop bodies only and everyone warns about the possibility of getting a "bad" copy.

Anyway, I did get the Sigma 30mm and it's a beauty. Very fast and silent focusing, my copy is very sharp and f1.4 is very nice.

Depth of field is definitely something to watch out for with this lens - very unforgiving at 1.4... like in the image below I think it's locked on to the buttons/chest on my daughter on the left and that's enough to make the faces soft ever-so-slightly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post