Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New iMac!

Just thought I'd share that I bought a new iMac! I had a 24" Core 2 Duo one from 2007, and it was getting a little slow, especially on 1.5GB of RAM. I bought the latest one earlier this week - the 21.5 inch iMac with the 2.7 Ghz processor, 4GB RAM and 1TB SATA hard drive. Was toying with the idea of getting a SSD as well but in the end decided that it was not big enough and too expensive.

It's a whole lot faster - everything is snappy (probably partly because everything is fresh), apps open quickly. In particular, lightroom doesn't feel as clunky when navigating around, which is great. Very happy in that regard.

Size wise, it's a small step down from 24". I'm still getting used to it - the resolution is the same, but it's just smaller physically. I specifically chose the smaller size as I found the 24" a bit too big - like you almost had to sit further back to take it all in. I think the new size is much more comfortable for desktop use.

It sports a Thunderbolt port which has a theoretical transfer rate of 10Gbps but I don't have any Thunderbolt accessories so I can't try it out yet. Down the track I will also definitely upgrade the RAM - it can take a maximum of 16GB.

I chose not to do use the migration assistant to bring all my apps and settings across - choosing instead to manually install only the apps I needed, and copying across the relevant data. I'm happy with that decision - slightly more work but no hidden junk lurking around from 4 years ago.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, let me know!

Grats Smile

Manual transfer is by far the best way, you only transfer what is on your mind, which means you have used it recently! Old stuff gets left behind.

Ya must be rollin in it! Big Grin Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:Ya must be rollin in it! Big Grin Big Grin
New computer in 4 years? Not likely... Big Grin

New, in 4 years? Mine is a 25yr old spectrum and still going strong. Rolleyes
Congratulations, but it is still a lot of cash. Can you sell the old one?

The trouble is they make the computers faster and then make programs that use the extra speed, therefore slowing them down again.
I have the angry birds app on my iPod and the battery goes down in about 1.5 hours when using that app. Without it the battery lasts around 6 hours. :|

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

My PC is around 4 years old, was going to replace it this year, but bought a laptop instead.

NT73 Wrote:New, in 4 years? Mine is a 25yr old spectrum and still going strong. Rolleyes
Congratulations, but it is still a lot of cash. Can you sell the old one?
Ha ha, nice and retro. Big Grin

I gave/donated it to a pastor of a local church - it should be put to good use. Big Grin

EnglishBob Wrote:My PC is around 4 years old, was going to replace it this year, but bought a laptop instead.
Yeah, I use a laptop for work, but at home I prefer a bigger screen. My wife and kids use it too - more than me actually. Big Grin

I bought a new Dell XPS 8300 when my wife's computer died. She will get my current system to use it for e-mails, internet and office aps. I thought an extensive help from geeks at DP review. It was very instructive and anybody thinking of buying an inexpensive system which is good for photography could find use in here. Here is a link: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readfl...e=38373103. Do not be discouraged by the initial questions I posed in my ignorance and read on, as my understanding improved. I would have spent considerably more without the advice. Perhaps as much as Julian, although probably less. Let me know what you think. The computer is still sitting in the box. I will report back in about a week, if there is interest. Dell monitor (30" Ultrasharp) is great, although it was a fiddle to bring the brightness down to 100 cd/m2 - the brightness I use for color managing my system to gwet a good match with the paper brightens.

P

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

I tried to resist, but the iMac was just too shiny... Big Grin

Pavel Wrote:Perhaps as much as Julian, although probably less.
Hate to say it, but my iMac cost less than your monitor... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

By the way, Dells are great for the support - my wife's previous laptop had a problem with one of the keys sticking, and they sent someone out the next day, and replaced the entire keyboard assembly on the spot.

Quote:Hate to say it, but my iMac cost less than your monitor... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
The guts of today's computers are mostly good enough for photo editing, if you have enough RAM and there is not much point putting money in them beyond some fairly low sum, if photo editing is the most resource intensive application you do. On other hand, large, high resolution monitor is handy for photo editing like noise reduction, sharpening, contrast and brightness adjustment etc. Normally, you have to zoom in/out all the time, but with 30" you basically see the image the size I print, so that you have a good idea how your noise will look like on the final print without zooming. Occasionally, I missed things on the 24" monitor. They were visible if I looked more carefully, but I did not and I had to reprint. With a bigger monitor, such glitches are much more readily apparent. Admittedly, the cost of reprinting is much lower than the cost differential between 24" and 30" monitor, but my comfort level about "what you see is close to what you get" is increased. I know that 30" monitor is an unnecessary (but useful) luxury.

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Just poking fun... I totally get your purchase.

I'd like a 30" monitor too, just probably won't fit on my desk. And my wife would kill me. Big Grin

shuttertalk Wrote:
EnglishBob Wrote:My PC is around 4 years old, was going to replace it this year, but bought a laptop instead.
Yeah, I use a laptop for work, but at home I prefer a bigger screen. My wife and kids use it too - more than me actually. Big Grin
At home I have a Dell XPS with a 26" LED monitor, the laptop is used for travels, previewing images and websites with clients and camera club use.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by shuttertalk
Oct 15, 2008, 21:55
Last Post by wulinka
Dec 2, 2007, 08:21