Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to all this photography stuff!

:/

Hi everyone! As I said in my introduction post I am new to photography and am hoping I can gain some valuable assistance from you all!

When I say "new" I really mean it! Unfortunately I have no idea about cameras and am totally thick as the proverbial brick when it comes to all the jargon. I have heard the terms "composition" and "resolution" etc etc but really have no idea what its all about!

In other words - please be patient with me! No doubt I'll ask some really ditzy questions and I do apologise in advance if I frustrate any of you with them Rolleyes And please - be brutally honest with if my photos are rubbish!

Thank you Smile

Lyn

Hi Lyn;

There's a good dictionary over at Steve's Digicam's (click here) that includes every term you're likely to hear, and a lot more. You should also feel free to jump in anywhere and ask for an explanation of anything we've said, just use the "quote" option to reply to make sure we're all talking about the same thing. And don't ever worry about asking ditzy questions. Big Grin

The good thing about photography is that the best way to learn is by looking at, and taking, photos. Knowing all the technical terms isn't required.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

A tip that helped me when I was new--read your camera's manual.
After shooting and absorbing information for a month, read it again.
Repeat at regular intervals.

As you learn the jargon and gather other knowledge, things in the manual will start to make more sense and you'll understand why certain settings are important.
Knowing your camera intimately will take you further.

Welcome Lyn - we are a pretty friendly bunch here, so ask away.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Canon stuff.

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
May 21, 2017, 10:52