Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon D800 - is that a good camera if you have both Fx and DX glass?

Nikon is about to introduce a successor to D700, a 12 Mpix full frame camera. The new one is supposedly equal to the D700 in terms of light sensitivity and dynamic range (both of which are significantly better than my current camera - light sensitivity by about 2 important f-stops). The camera apparently gains resolution and becomes 36 Mpix camera. Both cameras accept Dx (cropped sensor) lenses (most of my wide and normal lenses), but use only about 2/3 of the sensor area. Thus D700 becomes effectively 8 Mpix camera (cutting it a bit too close for me, but probably almost enough) while D800 would have what amounts to an overkill for me - 24 Mpix. Thus D800 would suit me fine, it seems, as I could use all my lenses with it. Other features of D700 are similar to my D300 and I have not heard of any features I would want were removed. I am thrilled with my D300, except for the sensor and D800 would have (it seems) the senor I want.

HERE is finally my question: Would the optical viewfinder be using the image from DX only in the 66% of the area, since the sensor is smaller? How does it work. If I could not see the image with the DX on covering the entire area of the viewfinder, that would be a deal breaker for me. Does any of you know how it works?

Just a note: obviously I know nothing definite about the camera until it is released and reviewed by a reputable org. and I know I have to wait. Still, I would like to know the answer to this question. Thanks

Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Hey, they got the predictions about the iPhone 5 right, didn't they?

Dealing with some specifics, putting a DX lens on the D700 brings that camera down to 5mp, so a camera that starts with 36mp down to 15. Much more reasonable for the hypothetical camera, and not really compelling for the camera that actually exists.

The viewfinders of the D3 and D700 work differently when DX lenses are mounted – one blacks out a portion, the other boxes it off, and I can't remember which one does what. Either way, the viewable area is greatly reduced.

They could avoid that by moving the next pro and baby-pro cameras to the EVF that they're using for the Nikon 1 V1. Who knows what's possible? They do say their mirrorless system is going to be revolutionary.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks Matthew - that just about kills that idea. Especially the viewfinder thing. 15 Mpix is still enough for me, if the sensitivity and dynamic range is significantly better. However, not having a real viewfinder is a killer.

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

It's a compromise but at least you have the choice, unlike the Canon counterparts... Big Grin

Deleted. :/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Julian, you can still put non-EFs crop-sensor lenses on all Canon cameras – I'm not sure why you'd want to, but it does work. Usually.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:non-EFs crop-sensor lenses
Does such a thing exist? I thought EF-s == crop sensor lens?

And I thought EF-s was incompatible with full frame bodies because of the mount, and even if you managed to get it on, the lens mechanism would get in the way of the mirror at certain focal lengths / zoom...

I defer to your experience and expertise though... Big Grin

EF-S lenses do use a different mount, and aren't compatible with EF-only bodies – 1D, 5D, 10D, and earlier. But any lens made for Canon cameras by other makers will use the EF mount even when they're only designed for the 1.6/1.5x crop. So if you really want to, you can put a Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 30/1.4 on a 5D. But neither I nor anyone else can guarantee the results.

(It's also possible to use an extension tube to put a Canon EF-S lens on a full-frame camera.)

Oh I get you now, non EF-s as in non-Canon. Thanks for the clarification! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post