Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

No Time For Anything

I work, I drink, I cut the grass. I fix things.
Repeat.
Still haven't found a truck to replace my wrecked car, so I'm stuck at home far too much.
When inspiration strikes I must ignore it.
I know this is my main problem.
Even when I didn't trust my old car, I could gather the courage to make a trip for photos.

It makes me happy that friends are bringing their graduating teens over for portraits--I get to play with all of my toys.
Other than that, I'm in an artistic funk that shows no signs of ending.

Don't let this happen to you.

I've been out of work for 6 months now and haven't touched my camera in 3 months... ironically now I have the time, I don't have the inspiration.

Keith: at least you drink.

Inspiration is like that - it goes on vacation for long periods. A lot of times, inspiration comes when you feel in control and self confident - being out of work challenges that self view...

Right now, I am creatively fertile - but I get periods of many months where I can see a great shot - but can't be bothered to take it...

Keep the faith. Inspiration is like a prodigal son - it returns when you least expect it.

Right now the only thing inspiring me are my kids... I can't stop taking photos of them Big Grin

Busy-ness at work as well doesn't help but oh well, you have to keep a positive outlook, I say. Big Grin

In my first two or three years taking pictures I thought it would never happen to me, but I was wrong.

I like Toad's comment about Inspiration is like a prodigal son ... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I'd never for one moment be glib about this, as I find this a very heartfelt thing. My first thoughts were something along the lines of "having the fruiting branches pruned so as to bear even better fruit next season", and Jesus' wilderness time as preceding his main ministry...maybe all in all a dormancy and gestation rather than a lasting deadness. And given this, regardless of feeling that these states never pass, pass it will. I realise some folks pendulate from one creative act to another: when I lose the photo bug the music one can often surface. When both seem to be taken offline I have found that it's often because I'm required to start addressing something within myself...which is non too pleasant, as I can find it means not leaning on these areas as crutches or denial-enforcers. I feel deeply both for you and anyone who experiences this creative nadir...for me, it's so often around the idea of my self-worth. Every blessing as you walk through this.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Hi everybody, it is so nice to hear you dear Keith! I know what means how inspiration can leave us... But this should be something that will come back again... I am sure muses are just sleeping!

Muses and angels be with you all,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Nia is such a nice cheerleader. Big Grin

I knew I wasn't alone with this.

The worst part is that I can't make plans or come up with ideas because I know in my heart that it's just wishful thinking--plans unfulfilled/shots untaken damage my soul.
So if a nice pickup truck dropped into my life tomorrow, I won't be ready to shoot a damn thing.

Probably drive it to the liquor store first.
Rolleyes

When I realized that I was losing and forgetting to pay attention in this or that, I was really sad. So then what I did and I am still doing is taking pictures with the thought that I am training... not in mind that I am after the picture of the year, but just for training, and not to forget. I think to myself, that not because I don't have an important "game" ahead, I should stop training.

I also spend a lot of time learning, reading a lot about design, colors and light, with the thought that one day my learning will come handy.

All this, Keith keeps my hopes.

I hope you find your own way to spend this time in the most productive way for your photography.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Phil J
Jul 10, 2014, 14:58