Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Not being able to decide which Adobe tool to get?

Hello

I am stuck between 3 Adobe photo tools:

(a) Adobe Photoshop
(b) Adobe Elements
© Adobe Lightroom

Does any one have suggestions, recommendations or guidelines in order to decide which one should I purchase?

CHeers
Samy

Base from my experience from this tools except Adobe elements which I never had one.

Lightroom - I used this mostly to retouch most of my wedding photos and some stuff that don't include removing background and stuff. More on the adjusting exposure, white balance, highlights and shadows.

Photoshop - mostly for some manipulation like liquify, removing/adding an object, hardcore editing stuff, HDR editing and mostly from scratches designs to come up.

Still you have to ask yourself what are you going to edit or possible do in the future with it.
Just my opinion Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

The combination of Lightroom and Photoshop would be great, but if I had to choose only one, I'd go with Photoshop.

For photography related stuff I use Lightroom 4 about 98% of the time. If you're more into photo manipulation than I am, maybe Photoshop would suit you better. Just get the trial versions, maybe it'll help you decide.

I agree with Vlad. I don't manipulate that much so only use Elements to resize and save Jpeg. I use Lightroom 4 all the time otherwise. Lightroom 5 (beta) is on free trial and I understand that layers etc is no built in - try before you buy. https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index..._lightroom - elements 11: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index....nts&loc=us

As I've heard, Lightroom is best for photo editing, unless you're into some heavy photo manipulation, in which case Photoshop would probably be better.

Lightroom - is more of a batch processing engine with global alterations to minor issues such as white balance, exposure, color adjustment etc. I't great for making a contact sheet - thumbnails of the photos. I have not learned all the ins and outs of this program. Need to but - I find the enterface on this one a bit strange.

Photoshop - since I grew up in the world of retouching and retoration, I love Photoshop. Photoshop is perhaps the best program that Adobe has ever produced. I use just about every product that Adobe produces, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Indesign, Photoshop. Illustrator is awful, Dreamweaver - well there is better but it will do. Photoshop is a wonderful program for photographers - it basically does it all and then some. It may be tough to master it but once you do - it is awesome. There are ways to do Lightroom functions in Photoshop with some third party products, as well as mastering Adobe Bridge. Unfortunately, for me - I work with mostly product photoraphy doing a lot of photo illustration techniques demonstrating the product assembly process in a photography style, stacking and subtracting the parts as I shoot. Mostly check each session as I go - so Lightroom does not seem to be a big demand item for me - have it and never use it. But for all my laying, depth and prespective correction, color correction, retouching artifacts, unsharp masking, noise reduction, and mastive photo manipulations that I have to do - PHOTOSHOP rules. I do wish they would come out with a better than 4gig size save range - maybe they have and I have not up graded yet - Does anyone out their know if the upgrades have raise the bar on the 4 gig limit?
I'm on CS2 and self contained, don't really need to upgrade unless it will give me better than 4 gig. I often turn my camera into a 400 or 800 mega pixel camera by shooting sections and stitching the files in Photoshop - this goes way ahead of 4 gigs but Photoshop still saves the file in native PSD. However, TIF is where it becomes an issue.
I like TIFF files because I have never ran into a printing issues with TIFFs - all other formats will bump into issues from time to time when printing.

Interesting views. Most of my photographs I intend to do light editing. I really am not into totally transforming the photos. So I think I might be better off with Lightroom. But I do love to enhance colors and the overall appeal of an image. Not sure if that happens due to the layers functionality? And if it does, I guess Lightroom does not offer that?

(Jul 3, 2013, 00:51)samyshah Wrote:  Interesting views. Most of my photographs I intend to do light editing. I really am not into totally transforming the photos. So I think I might be better off with Lightroom. But I do love to enhance colors and the overall appeal of an image. Not sure if that happens due to the layers functionality? And if it does, I guess Lightroom does not offer that?

I believe everything you are looking for can actually be done in Lightroom, just as in PS. It's only the matter of your personal preferences. I'm using PS only because I'm way too lazy to open the Lightroom and learn how to use it.

Lightroom and download the free perfect layers for a lightroom plug in, and you have the whole enchilada

(Jun 28, 2013, 01:31)samyshah Wrote:  Hello

(a) Adobe Photoshop
(b) Adobe Elements
© Adobe Lightroom

Does any one have suggestions, recommendations or guidelines in order to decide which one should I purchase?

CHeers
Samy

Just another aspect you may want to consider aside from the more than respectable photo editing abilities of lightroom
I have heard from numerous pro photographers that the photo management and organizational abilities of lightroom blow PS out of the window, these are people who deal with processing and organizing hundreds if not thousands of images at a time
I believe the learning curve would be well worth it if batch management and file organization is of concern to you

Since you're starting out, I suggest Lightroom - easy to use, has quick edits, and gorgeous platform, and hands down best for photo management. This is also best for universal editing (applying an effect or editing the whole photo and not part).

However, with major editing - making the face look smaller, and selective editing (including cloning, etc), Photoshop is your tool.

Id choose from the two only.

Hi,

I tried Lightroom and did not see any advantages over Photoshop Elements.

If you open up a RAW file in Elements, you immediately have 12 separate options to manipulate the photo (including white balance and temperature).

If you open a JPEG in Elements, you get a choice of Quick, Guided, and Expert.

Quick is what it says-3 good tools.
Guided gives you about half (6) the number of useful options than a RAW file.
Expert gives you about half the number of tools for actual manipulation of a file than the full version of Photoshop.

Unless you want to create logos, collages, etc or want to move heads around, Elements is all you need, IMO.

Adobe offers a trial of all of its programs, so I would put together about 6 JPEG and 6 RAW in a folder and try all three programs on them.

If you live in Canada (like I do), BJ Photo in Toronto gives away a copy of Photoshop Elements 11 with some of their lenses.

So if you are thinking of picking up a lens, check them out.

They have some of the lowest prices and free shipping on most items.

I live in another province, but it is still cheaper for me to buy from them.

My 2 cents

PS: Attached is an example of going too far in Photoshop.Tongue

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...light=week

Ed.

To each his own!

(Jun 28, 2013, 01:31)samyshah Wrote:  Hello

(a) Adobe Photoshop
(b) Adobe Elements
© Adobe Lightroom

CHeers
Samy

I have been a PhotoShop'r for 20 years now...I love it, but when it comes to working in RAW I would do all my processing in Lightroom.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jocko
Feb 8, 2017, 01:48