Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Few Shots - (with shots this time!)

Righto - big thanks to Jamie for hosting these. Here's a few shots I snapped late last year. Apologies if the size is a bit big - next time when I resize, I'll go a bit smaller.

This first shot is an aerial of Perth and the Swan River. You can see the issues I was having with the polariser - the top third or so of the pic looks a bit washed out, from all the haze around. Apart from a quick levels adjustment, there was no adjusting in Photoshop. Camera was my D70 with 18-70 @ 18mm (27mm equiv).

[Image: Perth-Aerial.jpg]

OK, number two - this is the shot I mentioned in the post on zooms. I had about 2 seconds to line up and fire off this shot before he noticed me and flew off. I cropped about a cm off the top (ie not much at all), but apart from that, didn't touch it in PS. Again, camera was my D70 with 75-300 @ 300mm (450mm equiv), and I was standing maybe a touch over a meter away.

[Image: Kingfisher.jpg]

Finally, this is one for all you lovers of creatures wierd and wonderfull Smile Shot at night with the 75-300 @ 300mm, standing about a meter away, and with built in flash. I cropped it to a square in PS, but that was it.

[Image: Cane-Toad.jpg]

I'll try to get a few more pictures converted and posted over here. Thanks again to J for hosting... Smile

Cheers,

Brad

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

- Albert Einstein

Great! Wunnerfuel!!

Very much I am liking!!!

Yas!

Smile

Cave canem

Hey, great shots, Brad.

The aerial view is very cool - I'm sure not everyone gets to do that everyday...

I love #2 and 3 as well - great composition. #3 is a bit soft though.

Nice work Big Grin

Yeah the toad shot isn't my fave - I've got about 5 or 6 shots of toads from up there, but they all have something wrong with them... like sticks in the wrong place, or the toad just isn't smiling enough... Rolleyes

Thanks guys,

Brad

- Albert Einstein

Great shot of the Birdie. I likes birds. Big Grin

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Fantastic brad!

The Aerial shot in particular I love, as it is so unique yet familiar for me (as I live in Perth too).
You could perhaps set up a gradient mask from top to bottom of that image and then apply a tone curve to it, so that it would affect the top of the image a lot than the bottom. You might be able to get rid of some of the "washed-outness" that way... but really it looks excellent as it it.

The last couple of times I've flown interstate I've taken my camera on as hand-held luggage and snapped off a few shots just for something to do (including a few IR shots)... It's so hard not to get washed out (and shooting through a plane window doesn't help). But you did a brilliant job here.
Apart from anything else, it is more interesting taking photos than reading a magazine in a plane, so it keeps me occupied for at least part of the trip.

Was that cane toad shot in WA? hmmm... I hope not. Sad

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

These are great, loopy! I especially love the Kingfisher. How did you get that close without the bird noticing? You must have some cat qualities! Big Grin

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Hey Adrian,

Thanks for the comments. The toad was shot at my parents house in Daintree, Far North Queensland. Just quietly, I don't think you could find that particular one again if you went looking Wink They have a 5 acre block up there, and at night it's covered in toads. I like shooting them - they're definitely different, and they're pretty easy to get (they don't move much). They're also great to take photo's of... Rolleyes

I think a UV filter would have helped that day in the plane - sometimes shooting through perspex you get like a raindow type effect with a polariser. This doesn't happen with all types of perspex though - you've just got to test it and try it out. I love digital Smile Incidently, if you still want to use a polariser and can't work it through the perspex, head up in something like a Cessna and open the window... Smile

Guerito - there's a definite joke in there, but its not PG13+... Cool The shot was taken again at my folks house. When it rains, there's a family of three kingfishers that sometimes fly down and sit on the pool fence. The fence is about a meter away from a window, and to get the shot I had to pre-focus and set the exposure in manual mode, sneak up to the window, jump up and frame within about 2 seconds. I have a couple more with 2 of them on the fence, but I don't like the shots. The birds are too far apart, and there's way too much empty space.

Thanks again,

Brad

- Albert Einstein

Nice shots, I love the area up that way. Went right through to Cow Bay (friends own a block there) one year.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

I love them all brad. #2 is my favorite. Incredible shot.

Teddy

Nikon d70
Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5g ED
Nikkor 70-210 1:4-5.6 d

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Apr 27, 2017, 04:16