Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Old Shack.

I first photographed this picture over 2 years ago.... and once I bought my Rebel I decided to go back and photograph it again.... well, that was the plan, I have searched for it at least 6 times, driven probably over 800 miles on those trips and repeatedly failed to find it.

Then on Sunday I was driving to photograph some white water rafting and passed a road.... I had a moment of inspiration and turned down the road to find the shack I have been looking for so often! It's position is now loaded in my GPS for future trips.

Untouched, other than a resize. Polarizer was used. Apologies to G for stealing his drop shadow framing idea.

[Image: oldshack.jpg]

What an awesome piece of scenery! I'm always on the lookout for old houses like this... A few ideas (although there's definitely nothing wrong with the shot as it is!) - the orange spot of dirt up on the left is a bit of a distraction, maybe a closer crop? That would only leave a small bit of those trees in the bottom left, so they may have to be cloned out. I'd love to see this shot re-taken at night, with a long exposure - maybe even get the moon in the frame?

Awesome work mate Smile

Cheers,

Brad

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

- Albert Einstein

Great landscape, Craig! I love the polarizer effect on the sky. Personally I'd leave the picture uncropped, the disorder of the trees on the left adds to the mood of abandon, I think.

No worries about the framing, I stole the idea too! Big Grin

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

I like your picture a lot! Smile The rusty roof and the color of the wood are great! Did you try to get closer to take some details?

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I love shots like this. Very very nice photo Craig. Btw, that frame is popular throughout the photo world on the web.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Thanks for the comments everyone Smile

Irma, I didn't try any detail shots. I have a lousy eye for them and rarely take any.

Nice capture, Craig. I would not crop, I agree that the surroundings adds context to the shack.

I would like to see the horizon less dead center just to add impact to the scene.

Hey Craig, nice shot! The shack is very interesting indeed. I don't know what the surrounding landscape is like, but if it was barren / grassy, I would zoom out a bit to show the isolation...

But I like it as is too.. Big Grin

The shack may not be there much longer, a new dwelling of some king is going up behind and right of it, an access road behind it. Over to the left is a small vineyard.

If I came out any wider there would be a lot of clutter.

That photo is top BOB, puts my shack photos to shame, the lighting is amazng (must have been a great day) and quality of detail is great, keep it up

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Feb 5, 2008, 11:50