Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Olympus XZ-1 Flagship Compact Camera

Gadget news from the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas is pumping out thick and fast, but this one caught my eye. From the guys that brought us the wildly successful PEN line (using the M4/3 sensors), Olympus is announcing a new flagship compact camera, the Olympus XZ-1, which is squarely aimed at amateur and professionals wanting a 2nd camera in addition to their SLR.

Particularly appealing features are:
- Large® sensor than normal compacts (1/1.63 inch CCD) - while not quite M4/3 size, it's certainly in the Canon G series range
- Fast f/1.8 - 2.5 wide angle 4x zoom ZUIKO lens
- Hotshoe for external flash and accessories. Apparently this is compatible with Olympus PEN accessories
- Dual image stabiliser, ISO 6400 sensitivity and AF illuminator
- 1/4000 shutter speed
- RAW shooting
- 720p HD movies
- Lens ring and menu wheel for precise manual control

To me, it looks like it's squarely aiming at the Canon S95 - which sports similar features such as the fast lens, lens ring, and even the same price range (actually $100 less than the RRP of th S95). It has a major advantage over it though in terms of the hot-shoe - that should open up a world of flexibility to users.

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/olympus_xz-1/

shuttertalk Wrote:To me, it looks like it's squarely aiming at the Canon S95...
...and even more squarely at the Panasonic LX5 / Leica DLUX-5

Yes, it does seem to have similar specs as the Canon S95. It remains to be seen if the OLED display is OK in sunlight. I have some problems in this regard with my otherwise wonderful Canon S90 and a Sony P&S (even worse). I have vowed to never again to buy another camera without an optical viewfinder (at least until this shortcoming is resolved).

.....Dennis

It's an interesting-looking camera - there seems to be a resurgence of interest in the quality compact camera market these days, which is really encouraging. I'm not convinced how much difference camera controls really makes, but it's a nice idea.

It's interesting that this new camera includes a built-in ND filter, like the Canon G's and the upcoming X100.

It's also going to be the first compact that's able to use its built-in flash for wireless TTL control of other speedlights. It only works with Olympus flashes, but its a good start. (The Olympus E-PL series is the only mirrorless format to do that, which also hasn't exactly set the market on fire. But then again, it's taken Canon until the 7D to discover that most Nikon SLRs can do this, so it's not exactly a field of fast learners.)

I'm tempted by the announcement for the Fujifilm XP30, which is a cheap little waterproof P&S. The cool thing is that it has a GPS that can actually be used to navigate back to where the photos were taken. It's the abilities of Zig's Backtracker in a camera that can go swimming.

But today I tried to imagine the plight of the poor people who have to write the press releases for these dozens of interchangeable little P&S cameras… ah, the horror…

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

The lens is what sets it apart - much faster then the other guys on the block - especially at the long end.

Canon stuff.

matthew Wrote:But today I tried to imagine the plight of the poor people who have to write the press releases for these dozens of interchangeable little P&S cameras… ah, the horror…
Haha, I was thinking the same thing... Big Grin

Toad Wrote:...and even more squarely at the Panasonic LX5 / Leica DLUX-5
You're right Mr T.

Dpreview have a brief preview here, which goes through all the cool features that Matthew has pointed out:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusxz1/

Hi all,

Dpreview have completed their review and it's a very favourable one...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/

Their main gripes are the lack of auto exposure lock, and the inability to change the noise reduction settings for JPEG mode but apart from that the lens is superb, image quality is great and overall it's a very usable and intuitive camera. Again, I think being able to share the PEN accessories is awesome - it even has the data port below the hotshoe that the latest PENs have - meaning that you should be able to use the EVF accessory...

I'm in the market for a new compact to supplement my DSLR. I'm currently torn between this one and the Fuji X100, but I think I might be leaning more towards this one - being half the price (albeit without the old world charm).

Looks very nice.

Canon stuff.

Interesting for me, as replacing the lost one is forthcoming. I am still (atm) hovering over the LX5 or another TZ. :/
My travel insurance (Staysure) have reimbursed me £110. As it is nearly obsolete now I suppose it is better than nothing. I had to pay the first £65 of the claim leaving me with the £110.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Another favourable review, this time from photographyblog:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/o...z1_review/

Quote:is a small but very serious photographic tool. The camera ticks all the boxes that any experienced photographer is looking for - “sensible” pixel count, a very fast lens, raw file support, a reliable multi-point AF system and a well implemented manual exposure mode complete with an optional live histogram. Add in a gorgeous OLED screen, an effective image stabilisation system and an image processor that's fast enough to avoid any major freeze-ups even when shooting RAW+JPEG simultaneously, and you have a very capable yet easily portable camera that you can take pretty much anywhere. And we haven't even mentioned that it's probably the closest thing to a system camera, accepting accessories ranging from an external viewfinder through hotshoe-mounted and wirelessly controlled flashguns to macro LED lights and more.

For what it is, it seems very good. For my own needs, I'd think the format may prevent the lens from securing the wow that hopefully the Fuji might have...but jolly impressive.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Well I have ordered the LX5 and await its arrival. Read all about the chipped battery etc.
A bit hesitant about the 3.8x zoom, but my old Minolta had only 3x and I was mostly content with that.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Ah...I didn't realise the battery thing..

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post