Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Organizing Your Photos Online & Offline

How do you organize your photos online and offline? Love to hear some of your thoughts and suggestions for those of us who may need a little help! Cool

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Sep 5, 2013, 13:30)Barbara G. Wrote:  How do you organize your photos online and offline? Love to hear some of your thoughts and suggestions for those of us who may need a little help! Cool

Hi Barbara. I don't know if you have a PC or Apple. I have an apple and use iphoto. You can use this program to sort and store photos. Offline I take certain Events such as travel and record them on DVD's. Either way is quite simple to do. Take care and good luck

Thanks for sharing gm! I actually have a PC, but want to hear about other available options as well!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Sep 5, 2013, 13:30)Barbara G. Wrote:  How do you organize your photos online and offline? Love to hear some of your thoughts and suggestions for those of us who may need a little help! Cool

When I download my memory cards, I have NikonTransfer (Free!) drop them into folders that have the download date in the folder name, a sequence number and indicate whether it was myself or my lovely wife that shot them. It also makes a backup to a second drive.

Then, I either open them in Picasa for personal stuff, or import them into a new LightRoom catalog for paid work. I give the LR catalog a descriptive name like "Christine's wedding'. In Picasa, I might put in the folder information the location and some keywords.

Online, it's strictly by description, broken down by event type. IE; weddings, commencements, school events.............

I just looked at my folders, and I see them labeled at least as far back as 2005.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

When I unload from camera I put all into an unsorted folder then I take my time moving them to appropriate folder. 1st job is removing bad shots then I let them sit before I analyse them. Helps me not be emotional..

All my photos are placed on the same hard drive and sorted by the date. Folder's names are formatted like: yy-ddmmyy-tag. Inside every folder with originals there is one more folder with postprocessed images from that folder. Oh, almost forgot - and since I'm actually a very lazy person I don't delete bad photos regularly, I do that periodically, when I'm out of the space on my hard drive. I've tried to divide the photos by topics or events, or something, but I only created a mess as I never knew where to put things like animals in the woods, so I would end up either looking for photos in wrong folders later or having x duplicates of the same photo Big Grin Date system with tags works the best for me.

My online organization is one big chaotic mess Blush On most of the sites where I upload my photos I have some general albums like nature-people-pets-events-other-etc and I'm doing my best to add tags whenever I can. Still, most of the time I have no idea where and when I've uploaded something. The only page where I actually know what's up and what's not is sxc.hu.

(Sep 14, 2013, 08:48)Formerbob Wrote:  When I unload from camera I put all into an unsorted folder then I take my time moving them to appropriate folder. 1st job is removing bad shots then I let them sit before I analyse them. Helps me not be emotional..

Yeah...I've tried that too - it ended by having several temp folders filled with misc photos that are still in those temp folders as I never find enough time to go through them Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post