Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Overcoming Photographer's Block - Getting Past It

For those of you who have had photographer's block - How do you fight it and get past it? I am sure there are members who have experienced this and those who are interested in getting past it.

Here are a few ideas which may prove useful. Please share some of your ideas as well that may also be helpful to others.

Challenge yourself in some way
Join a photo competition
Take some time to research your favorite author in the hobby
Follow someone you really enjoy who is an inspiration to you in photography

So, how do you fight or overcome photographer's block?

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

This is just what I was thinking about the other day. It's been a while since I took my camera with a purpose to make a photo. The last few months were really hard for me, winter that lasts too long this year and everything else that's happening around me are gorgeous motivation killers.

I like your advices, Barbara, but I find it really hard to make myself to take the camera and challenge myself or to even look at the competitions when I'm in this kind of mood. Also, finding inspiration through the others photographers photos is not working, as the inspiration is not a problem for me - motivation is. For example, just yesterday I caught myself looking at two cups for about twenty minutes thinking about what background would be the best for the photo. And in the moment of finding the right solution, a friend asked me if I need some light for it, and I was just like - naaah, don't feel like shooting this, won't be any good anyway.

Sometimes, these periods just go away without me doing anything. When they last for too long, I do something fun and relaxing, things that make me believe in myself again and they go away.
If nothing helps, I have a little trick that works for me every time - I lock away my camera and stop carrying it with me for a while. In a few days I see something I'd like to shoot and I'm so sorry for not having my camera with me and I can't wait to have it in my hands again.

I can certainly relate to the "naaah, don't feel like shooting this, won't be any good anyway." part.

Winter time is hard for me as well. There is really not much exciting in this small town of mine. I will however feel better when the warmer weather hits and look forward to those times. I believe part of this is because I love taking photos of the outdoors and feel inspired during spring and forward!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post