Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

POV of a street photographer

Here's an interesting video - a street photographer basically affixed a pocket video cam to his Leica M9 via a bracket and put footage from the two together so you can get an idea of what he was looking at before taking the snap and how he goes about taking his shots.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/10/pov-...rainy-day/

I was a bit surprised a how quick his shots were - almost like grab shots. I suppose he was using a fixed focal length lens and the 28mm perspective is pretty close to what the normal eye sees - so its pretty much point and click when he sees something that catches the eye.

[Image: rig_mini.jpg]

Interesting video. This is his style but I don't know if street photographers generally go around like that just snapping pictures as they go along. I felt like he almost didn't have a clear aim or purpose in getting random photos.

That was interesting, to be let in on his process like that. I am a big fan of that style of photography, basically the Lomography style which is documentary by nature. I kept finding shots that I wish he would have taken or that I would definitely have taken. Thats what made it most fun- to see how our different photographic sensibilities would have influenced the outcome. I do like his shots though. Some who don't find anything special about this type of work will be bored by it. And for those for whom technique is paramount, "Look away, Look away!!" Smile

(Nov 16, 2012, 10:58)jinko Wrote:  I felt like he almost didn't have a clear aim or purpose in getting random photos.

Welcome to Street Photography, Sir.

You can do Street Photography with an aim / purpose, but its not required.

I must admit, it's a good idea, it's fun and exciting to experiment in such a way because it gives you the chance to camputure something completely unexpected. I tried something similar once and it got me all wired up and in love with street photography again. However, the final shots presented in this video have quite a poor quality and that takes away so much from this idea.

Very cool idea! Whether you like the work or not it really does give an insight into this photographers creative eye.

That concept of the "trigger moment" has always intrigued me. When I look at a shot I wonder what it is about that particular scene that made the photographer click the shutter at that particular moment.

I love that there are some super creative folks out there!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by jogesh12345
Jul 30, 2019, 00:03