Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Painting with light

This is my first post here at Shutter Talk. I would like to start with a photo I took this past week. It is a still life taken at night using a flashlight as the light source.

Attached Files Image(s)

Life is good. Capture it!

Hello and welcome to shuttertlak Smile

Post some more images of the scene you took from it.

Did you post processed the image?

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Dec 10, 2013, 03:29)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Hello and welcome to shuttertlak Smile

Post some more images of the scene you took from it.

Did you post processed the image?

Hello PhotoPlay.
I did a slight levels adj. and cropped in a bit. I worked with one other person to show her how the process worked. I just got my 7D and need to get a wireless remote for it as I had to hold down the shutter which can of course cause vibration. Here are a couple of more from the same shoot.

Attached Files Image(s)

I like these. For me the first image would have been improved by blending the table into the background, to lose the edge, but great shots. Who needs studios!

(Dec 10, 2013, 04:57)Dean Wrote:  I like these. For me the first image would have been improved by blending the table into the background, to lose the edge, but great shots. Who needs studios!

Thanks Dean....You are correct! I will do that ... much appreciated!

Very nice - and welcome to the forums! Nice to meet you and have you here on site with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Thank you kindly Barbara! Good to be here.

I do like your results from using this light painting technique, Clicker Smile - I must have a go at it sometime soon.

Philip

Thanks Philip. The possibilities are endless.

Was thinking of a Flashgun from Santa, perhaps should change it to a Torch. Ed.

(Dec 10, 2013, 03:59)Clicker2014 Wrote:  Hello PhotoPlay.
I did a slight levels adj. and cropped in a bit. I worked with one other person to show her how the process worked. I just got my 7D and need to get a wireless remote for it as I had to hold down the shutter which can of course cause vibration. Here are a couple of more from the same shoot.

Try to have it in timer mode when budget comes in a way. Atleast give it a few seconds to count to minimize vibrations upon clicking that shutter.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Dec 10, 2013, 16:15)EdMak Wrote:  Was thinking of a Flashgun from Santa, perhaps should change it to a Torch. Ed.

LOL!

(Dec 10, 2013, 16:56)PhotoPlay Wrote:  
(Dec 10, 2013, 03:59)Clicker2014 Wrote:  Hello PhotoPlay.

Try to have it in timer mode when budget comes in a way. Atleast give it a few seconds to count to minimize vibrations upon clicking that shutter.

Thanks for the wake up call! Seriously! I just looked it up and my camera has a timer mode for up to 30 seconds! Plenty of time for small still life photography! I was so used to a remote with my old camera that I just plain forgot! sigh.... ;-)

Some high quality 'still life images' there Clicker. Keep up the good work, still life is obviously one of your strengths, so any advice you can offer the rest of us will be most welcome.

Best regards and welcome to the forum. Smile

Phil.

Thank you for the kind words Phil. I have not mastered "regular" still life yet as I don't have proper off camera flash setup "yet". I did get a flash, but now need to get an off camera cord & remote. But I do have fun with the painting with light for stills. Would it be a good idea to post what we need to produce these? And if I do should I post it in this thread? Sorry..new to this forum and want to start off on the right foot :-) Thanks again Phil!

(Dec 10, 2013, 03:19)Clicker2014 Wrote:  This is my first post here at Shutter Talk. I would like to start with a photo I took this past week. It is a still life taken at night using a flashlight as the light source.
Very clean and neat. The light is great, really even.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Hi Clicker2014,

I for one would be hugely interested in learning what is required to produce such cracking results. Flash is 'in my opinion' relatively easy to get good results with, others of course would disagree and quite rightly too. It's very much a matter of 'horses for courses', what may suit one person, probably won't suit another, but having seen the excellent results you have produced 'painting with light', I would be fascinated to give it a go myself.

PM me if you would like to discuss flash set ups, or perhaps someone would start a thread on the subject. If you need any help on the subject of Photoshop, I'd recommend having a word with EdMak or Dean, as they both work marvels with post processing software.

Oh, I'm relatively new here as well, but it's proved a marvelous place to be. Everyone mucks in and helps others, with very experienced 'constructive criticism' and advice. So keep 'clicking away Clicker'. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. Smile

Best regards.

Phil.

Phil - creating a thread so all the members can discuss this.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...sh-Set-Ups

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Barbara,

You're a gem, thanks very much.

Regards.

Phil.

Hi Clicker
How did you get that background , its looks good so does the fruit, well done,
Can you advise settings you used.
john

(Dec 10, 2013, 03:19)Clicker2014 Wrote:  This is my first post here at Shutter Talk. I would like to start with a photo I took this past week. It is a still life taken at night using a flashlight as the light source.

[quote='john.mcintosh' pid='91787' dateline='1386861439']
Hi Clicker
How did you get that background , its looks good so does the fruit, well done,
Can you advise settings you used.
john

John the background is just where the light didn't expose anything. There were bushes behind it, but we just made sure the flashlight did not expose them. My settings were F14 ISO 100 12 sec. exposure...but the light painting was only about 4 - 5 secs. You always open the shutter then turn on the flash light and paint, turn off the light and then close the shutter. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else. Cheers!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Pegger3D
Jun 29, 2016, 11:11