Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bad Devices--Showing Them You're In Charge

[Image: kak.drillphone1.jpg]
These photos give me a lot of satisfaction.
Lighting and camera/tripod work is always fun of course, but drilling a big hole through a cellphone made me feel really good!!

[Image: kak.drillphone5.jpg]
Final result.

[Image: kak.drillphone2.jpg]
All the way through!

Flash "froze" the drill-bit in the first picture, so for these views I used my workbench lights and a longer exposure. Had I remembered to put a CTO gel on the flash, all the backgrounds would have matched.

[Image: kak.drillphone3.jpg]

[Image: kak.drillphone4.jpg]
Always remove batteries when attempting anything like this.
For AC devices, obviously you should unplug them.

This Motorola phone was given to me (used) and after playing with it for a few days I decided it was utter garbage.
(Your experience may vary. I prefer LG).

Now that it has convenient holes through it, I'm soliciting creative ideas on how to proceed with it's complete destruction--preferably in several more steps to prolong the fun.

Interesting photographically - but disturbing in a technological state. Keith - you seem very tech savvy - I never fancied you a Luddite!

All that came to my mind was "Can you hear me now?"

Toad Wrote:Interesting photographically - but disturbing in a technological state. Keith - you seem very tech savvy - I never fancied you a Luddite!
I think the key is that it was a Motorola 'Razr' phone. I've been tempted to play a short game of frisbee solitaire with my MotoRazr for the entire three years that I used it - but now I see that it will need a more picturesque ending.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:
Toad Wrote:Interesting photographically - but disturbing in a technological state. Keith - you seem very tech savvy - I never fancied you a Luddite!
I think the key is that it was a Motorola 'Razr' phone. I've been tempted to play a short game of frisbee solitaire with my MotoRazr for the entire three years that I used it - but now I see that it will need a more picturesque ending.
Send it to me.

For the next insult I might drag the phone around the block behind a bike or car.
Not a great photo-op besides the setup, though.

I could launch it well over a mile high in a rocket to free-fall, but again not photo-friendly enough.

Fire is always a fun way to wreck things.

I thought you were trying to get it to work! Big Grin I mean a bigger hole in the earpiece will obviously let more volume through.
That said, destruction for the sake of destruction always seems a waste of resources to me. :/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Keith, you have guns, right? (hint hint)

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Rabid Penguin Wrote:Keith, you have guns, right? (hint hint)
That's probably going to be step 2.

I have some .22LR that's powderless--just a primer for safe indoor pistol practice.
Wish I had an audio shutter triggering device--maybe I'll get lucky in continuous shooting mode and catch some flying bits.

My brother has a band-saw that can finish it off nicely.

NT73--it's either put it in the recycling bin, or have some fun and THEN recycle.
So it's really destruction for the sake of fun and photography.

Come on Keith! That's state of the art.
My mobile phone is two bean tins and a length of twine. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:Come on Keith! That's state of the art.
My mobile phone is two bean tins and a length of twine. Big Grin
And that's the crux of the matter.

Motorola phones are like generic bean tins.
LG phones are Dinty Moore Beef Stew™ cans.

There is a big difference. Tongue

Nice work Keith! Slight problem with your mod though... now you can't press the '2' key! Big Grin

Classic!

Canon stuff.

Oh my goodness! Hole into the phones... Photographically it is so creative work, and I can understand it was a great fun to do this. (By the way I hate guns, I am glad you didn't use them) I thought now all my ex-phones!!!! They are all in a box! I keep them. All different companies... I think I can never throw them away. Maybe this is not normal... but I love the things which live with me to keep them in my recollection box. But with your creative work you did its death eternal Smile This is a kind of ironic touches... Thank you Alan, it was an interesting.

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post