Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo Share Assignment & Discussion - HDR Photography

Photo Share Assignment & Discussion - HDR Photography

HDR (High Dynamic Range) Photography is only one type, or style, of many categories of photography available to photographers.

Please share any of your photos which fall in this type of photography. Discussion within the thread is also encouraged. Smile

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

This Photo is My first attempt at HDR.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello and thank you for adding your photo! This looks very interesting!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Already posted elsewhere on t4hese forums but here's my favorite of late:

Storm over Millerton Lake
7D MkII, ISO 100, F6.3, 16mm, 3 image HDR composite.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4365]

(Aug 23, 2015, 08:43)EnglishBob Wrote:  Already posted elsewhere on t4hese forums but here's my favorite of late:

Beautiful Photograph. this gives me a lot of inspiration.

(Aug 23, 2015, 07:32)Barbara G. Wrote:  Hello and thank you for adding your photo! This looks very interesting!
Thank You Barbara, I am learning. I am very interested in HDR photography

Kelly, on my monitor, this looks over cooked, but, you seen the original. A bigger pic would have helped. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

(Aug 23, 2015, 08:43)EnglishBob Wrote:  Already posted elsewhere on t4hese forums but here's my favorite of late:

There are no words. This is stunning. Well done.

Thank you, I worked pretty Hard on this one but have had a lot of success with it.

OK, fair enough, hesitate to put my absolute first HDR attempts against such a fine photo but here goes...apologies for the leaning archway (which isn't really leaning of course), and the various junk that shouldn't be in the shot...and the watermark as I am testing Photomatix on that shot. The first is Photoshop HDR.

On that note, what software do you favour?

All the best!

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

I prefer the first picture, but the second processing, colors really pop.

I use Photoshop CS6, and Efex Pro plugins for my HDR.

That's interesting - I'll test the Efex plug in. Thanks, Craig. Jeff

Second one for me, could stand sharpening though. Excellent for a first attempt. Ed.

To each his own!

Contre-jour Thames Scene

This image was recorded last Sunday (25/10/15) at about 4 p.m. looking west from the north bank of the River Thames near Marlow:

[ Pentax K-5 II at ISO 160 with 40mm prime lens at f/8; 3 hand-held bracketed shots in Av Mode: -3, -1, and +1 EVs from the camera metered exposure; alignment, combination and adjustments in PaintShop Pro X6.]

Cheers.
Philip

Nicely Done.

Thank you, Craig.

Cheers.
Philip

I haven't acquired the Efex yet but I did find this in the wastelands of Worcestershire yesterday. I thought he well deserved the HDR treatment?

I have noted Ed comment about sharpening. In practice (it is my first week playing with HDR) I find it hard to dispense with light clipping in these HDR pictures so far, even this one. Advice, Ed? Anyone?

Regards all, Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeff, really need to see the original. Not really a fan of HDR, easy to get into the realm of a Digital Image, rather than a picture.

If what I see, any pic, cannot be seen normally, by eye, then it is a Digital Image.

Personal thoughts. Ed.

(Remember my Signature)!

To each his own!

Hi Ed

Thanks for your reply. I very much accept what you say. I am not personally averse to DI pictures as opposed to photos. At present I am experimenting with HDR to widen my general appreciation of the range of photography options. I'm really quite liking it, and interestingly so are my personal photo watchers. I fancy having a go at textures sometime too. This particular shot has nothing in it that the eye couldn't see, but there are some things which I have whipped out - but that's normal Lightroom stuff, isn't it.

It is a combination of 5 bracketed shots taken at 1/125,250,500,1000 and 2000, using Photomatix Pro. I then imported the result to Lightroom for edits, in the process of which, sharpening included, I found I was limited by the appearance of highlight clipping. Anyway, here's one of the original five at 1/500. I definitely welcome any advice thoughts or comments from the forum. I also attach a similar photo similarly treated which shows the benefit of differing exposures on the foreground and the sky.

Regards Ed and all, Jeff

PS Ed, the original I'm afraid died out in these parts at least, rather before our time...

Hi Ed

Thanks for your reply. I very much accept what you say. I am not personally averse to DI pictures as opposed to photos. At present I am experimenting with HDR to widen my general appreciation of the range of photography options. I'm really quite liking it, and interestingly so are my personal photo watchers. I fancy having a go at textures sometime too. This particular shot has nothing in it that the eye couldn't see, but there are some things which I have whipped out - but that's normal Lightroom stuff, isn't it.

It is an HDR combination of 5 bracketed shots taken at 1/125,250,500,1000 and 2000. I then imported the result to Lightroom for edits, in the process of which, sharpening included, I found I was limited by the appearance of highlight clipping. Anyway, here's one of the original five at 1/500. I definitely welcome any advice thoughts or comments from the forum. I also attach a similar photo similarly treated which shows the benefit of differing exposures on the foreground and the sky.

Regards Ed and all, Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

In my view, it matters little to me how people choose to process their images - if it started as a camera image, then anything goes. However, it seems to me that the description of HDR images has moved quite a long way from its intended meaning and purpose.

HDR processing is done to enable us to view, in our prints or screen images, a scene which has a dynamic range wider than the camera sensor is capable of recording. No matter how the camera controls are set up for shooting, the result will have shadow areas and/or highlight areas with none of the details that we could see at the scene - those areas of the image are reduced to just black and white resp.

HDR software enables us to combine an image exposed to show the shadow areas with one suitably exposed for the highlight areas, so that the resulting image shows both shadow and highlight details and, of course, everything between. (In practice, we tend to use a bracket of 3 or 5 different exposures.)

The result should better show the reality of the scene that was before our eyes, but it can look a bit flat. So the software also includes tools to increase the local contrast and saturation, which can give a very realistic image. However, it is the excessive use of these tools, for creativity, that have produced the so-called HDR 'look' - high contrast and sharpness, garish colours, and halos.

Of course, there is nothing wrong (in my view) with using HDR methods to enhance images, and experimenting with their creative effects. However, the original photo of the dinosaur, shown above in Post #20, is an image in which the camera appears to have successfully recorded the full range of the scene, so HDR techniques were not really needed there.

Even in the little JPEG file posted above, the highlights are not blown, and there is plenty of detail and colour information throughout the range, which can be enhanced by the usual image editing methods, as little or as much as desired e.g. -

Cheers.
Philip

No point in showing something akin to Philip's! Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Fantastic! Special thanks to Philip for helpful, clear explanatory comment. Great fun altogether...Much more to explore here in HDR though. For instance, Philip's Thames scene is much more serene than the dramatic treatment demanded by the dinosaur. But maybe a little more punch in this season of autumn colour and sunsets and harvest? Here's my (restrained) suggestion.... Cheers Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Ah, looks different once pasted...

As I see Philip's??? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!