Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo Share Assignment & Discussion - HDR Photography

Ed and Jeff, thank you for your good work on my image - both are valid and interesting interpretations, though you will no doubt realise that my preference in image capture and processing is for the more natural look! Smile

Jeff, of the two edits of the Thames image, Ed's is closer to reality, but your rework is moving towards being an example of the exaggerated tonal look that many people now think of, whenever HDR is mentioned. It's also ironic that you have skilfully almost cloned out the sun, which was the reason that the HDR procedure was needed for this scene. (These are not criticisms, just observations!)

HDR methods are very useful for images of some scenes that couldn't otherwise be reproduced as we see them. But also, like other techniques that we can use as we wish, they are part of the creativity and fun of photography. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Jeff, the foliage detracts from this one, I cut it down? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Hi guys

I would like to say what I am beginning to feel about HDR photography and see if anyone resonates with the thought: photography generally portrays what the eye sees; HDR portrays what the heart sees. It is an emotional, sometimes sentimental, picture which may not be a true reflection of what is real on the outside but which may well be more real within than the reality without. It is a stretching out of the artists hands to the viewer to see with new eyes what he or she sees and feels.

Here's a couple of HDR's from the arboretum on Monday morning - do these shots agree with my description? Do you agree with the description and what do the experts say about HDR?

Cheers and having lots of fun as Phillip quoth.

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Jeff,

They're much better on a larger format!! Number 1 reminds me of that 'ethereal' look which used to be prevalent in the 'Hitchcock' movies as it seems to encompass that 'movie' style of lighting and differential focus. Number 2 I like as well, because whilst the tree in the foreground provides an anchor to the scene, the pathway leads the eye through the photograph to explore other elements. I find number 3 to be the most colour enriched of 2 & 3. However, it has altogether a different appeal as well, in as much as, there is a ghostly apparition which seems to be making an appearance at centre left. Either that or I really do need my eyes tested!! Smile

Altogether though, three very well executed photographs.

Best regards.

Phil.

Hi Phil

Very many thanks for your comments. Yes, personally I liked the enigmatic half appearance of the folks in the centre left. I think I like the first mono shot out of these three. Cheers, Jeff

As a photograph, I prefer Philip's original. As an image which doesn't pretend to be realistic, then the second rendition hits the spot.

Hi guys After a couple of weeks with Photomatix Pro I have taken the plunge and purchased it. It is of course HDR software but it is surprisingly useful for giving single shots a bit of extra punch using the Finishing Touches facility. The version tested was 4.1 while on making the purchase, I find I have Version 5.1 64 bit. I find I process in Lightroom, then to Photomatix Pro then back to Lightroom. But it is after my first week using it, trial apart. All the best. Jeff

Like the B&W, but to me, the colour one's look over cooked, unless you tell me they are, as seen. Ed.

To each his own!

Jeff,

The mono doesn't appeal to me because of the effect of the processing on the sky - from the tops of the windows down, the image is OK.

The last one looks confused, as though the software has struggled with two different images. That, together with the very strong colours, doesn't really contribute in a constructive way to the original pleasant autumn scene.

The second image is the most appealing of the three, although it would have been even better if the shooting position had been rotated a few degrees left, to include in the frame the lovely sweeping curve of the footpath.

You might also probably guess that, for me, the second would appeal more to eyes and heart, if the colour balance was (what I would expect to be) more typical of an atmospheric misty autumn morning, e.g.

Cheers.
Philip

Ed You're right - no surprise there!

Phil - absolutely brilliant, thank you. Now that's a super picture! Totally agree about the path.

Have a good day

Jeff

An upright perhaps? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

I have Phil's version as a screensaver. Not sure about the upright version but the subtle changes in colour and texture are famous. Thanks, both. Jeff

Sunset in the deserted cafe

This was taken this afternoon at the National Trust Visitors' Centre on the top of the Dunstable Downs in Bedfordshire, using HDR to try to prevent the sun from completely burning out (in the photo!):

The three hand-held bracketed exposures were captured in a Pentax K-5 IIs at ISO 400, through a zoom lens at 40mm; the aperture was set at f/8 and the exposure varied by 2EV centred on 1/100s. The three JPEGs were auto-aligned and processed in the HDR Merge Module within PaintShop Pro X8.

I think it seems to have worked out quite well. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

I think it has worked out very well. I have dabbled a little with HDR. As with your image here, I have tried to use it to capture an otherwise difficult subject. I have not bothered much with using HDR to create effects.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Much more than quite well Philip. Ed.

To each his own!

Thank you very much, John and Ed. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

something different for you, I have been playing, yes the image goes from black and white to color from the top right hand corner this is intentional, you have to at times think outside the box.

Attached Files Image(s)

RAW to the core.

A brilliant image. Outside the box. I'm not even allowed in the box.

I have yet to find the box! Stunning. Ed.

To each his own!

Eddy, that is a spectacular photo, and an awesome vehicle - I just wish you had been able to capture all of it within the frame.

One other point: It is always interesting to read a bit of information about the photography of making an image posted in the forums - brief notes on where and how it was taken, together with a bit of info about the processing, e.g. software used.

Cheers.
Philip

(Jan 21, 2016, 15:42)MrB Wrote:  Eddy, that is a spectacular photo, and an awesome vehicle - I just wish you had been able to capture all of it within the frame.

One other point: It is always interesting to read a bit of information about the photography of making an image posted in the forums - brief notes on where and how it was taken, together with a bit of info about the processing, e.g. software used.

Cheers.
Philip
Hi Philip
The photo was taken at this years Goodwood Festival of Speed, the gear used was canon 5d3 24-105 L IS f4 the settings are file RAW, 24mm focal lenght, ISO 400 @ f8, it was impossible to get back far enough even at 24mm because of other displays and people, once you leave a gap twenty poeple will walk through it, I am not sure that the bottom of the front tyres would have added anything to the final image, but we will never know.
I have only shot in RAW for many years now, and I am happy to see the images evolve in post processing which brings me to the software, I am fortunate to have lightroom 6 and photoshop cs 6 along with photomatix pro 5.5.
This image would have been imported into lightroom and any global adjustments would have been made i.e. clarity, vibrance, etc. then I would move it into photoshop where at this stage, I decided to try the black and white to color thing, I tried varipus things before settling on a black to white gradient dragged across the image to acheive the look, I was very lucky to have such a dramatic sky which helps the image a great deal and I believe is improved by the graduation, the image was then saved back into light room before being exported to photomatix pro, the result is in my mind the power of RAW as the results you see are in fact from only one image, photomatix gives you the option to process single images,it would have been next to impossible to bracket his image with all the movement going on around it.
I hope this explains my workflow and thought processes for this and my other images.
Just to add when ligtroom first appeared I was not a big fan, indeed I found it almost irritating, then as time passed it just got better and better especially in the import file handling area, it is seldom that I use ACR now because I do not import into bridge, I also feel the that once you're confident with the felxibility and usability of lightroom it becomes a pleasure to use.

Pete

RAW to the core.

All interesting stuff there, Eddy. Thank you very much. Smile

I had assumed that it would have been difficult for you to capture the complete vehicle due to other displays, and to others walking in front of you. Whenever I'm taking photos at similar events, or in museums, etc., inevitably I'm astonished that other people don't show the courtesy to stay at home! Big Grin

Cheers.
Philip

I started working with raw files in an early version of ACR but when I bought Lightroom 6 I found it much better (it had Clarity and Vibrance for a start). Now I have CS4 I find that version of ACR too much of a guddle, so I am happy to continue working in Lightroom.
I regularly use a single raw image and produce several different images, with different exposures, so that I can combine them for a HDR image.
Since seeing your treatment of that wonderful image I too tried that effect. I went straight to using a Saturation Graduated Filter in Lightroom and it worked great. Nice to see that was how you achieved it.

(Jan 22, 2016, 13:29)Jocko Wrote:  I started working with raw files in an early version of ACR but when I bought Lightroom 6 I found it much better (it had Clarity and Vibrance for a start). Now I have CS4 I find that version of ACR too much of a guddle, so I am happy to continue working in Lightroom.
I regularly use a single raw image and produce several different images, with different exposures, so that I can combine them for a HDR image.
Since seeing your treatment of that wonderful image I too tried that effect. I went straight to using a Saturation Graduated Filter in Lightroom and it worked great. Nice to see that was how you achieved it.

I to have created under and over exposed images for use in HDR, the good thing about Photomatix Pro is you do not hve to mess about you just import a single image from lightroom

RAW to the core.

There's not much messing about when using a typical HDR technique:- It is possible to capture much wider dynamic range by taking 3 bracketed exposures (which are completed in less than one second), and later opening the three images in an HDR software module.

The useful advantage of the single shot method is that it can be used (as long as the dynamic range is not very wide) for images in which there would be too much subject or background motion between the bracketed shots in the 3-shot method.

Cheers.
Philip