Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo groups

hey guys

i'm new so i don't know if i'm posting this in the right part of the forums but oh well i guess a mod will move it if there is somewhere more appropriate.

what i'm looking for is a photography group. it can just be online, but if there was a perth one i could meet up with the members irl and that might be cool. anyway, what i want is a community where we can each have a space for our images, like a little folio, and people can comment on them. we can have themes to post about each week/month etc, and maybe even prizes. we can study other photographers, try out their styles, and even each others styles. we can talk about cameras and computers, though it doesnt have to be purely digital.

anyone know of a community like that? or want to start one? i know there are similar type things on livejournal, but i didnt really like the set up. maybe if someone knows something about designing webpages we could make up our own.

thoughts appreciated
janey xox Wink

This is counter culture from the underground
Eternal revolution this is our sound
KMFDM better than the best
Megalomanical and harder than the rest

I'm interested Smile

At the moment, Peter Long and I go on photo-outings Smile
Peter set up a place where we can upload and display our images, he's written the script, but don't know if he is going to add the commenting part on (I've heard him mention it before though).

It seems like a good way to learn, studying photographers and their styles.

This community can become the thing you want, I dare say. We're a very young group you know!

Ask Shuttertalk himself. We shouldnt fragment this group, but expand and develop it!

Yas. Big Grin

Cave canem

Rufus is right, I also got the feeling "aren't we already in photographic community" when reading it Smile

Quote:what i want is a community where we can each have a space for our images, like a little folio, and people can comment on them. we can have themes to post about each week/month etc, and maybe even prizes. we can study other photographers, try out their styles, and even each others styles. we can talk about cameras and computers, though it doesnt have to be purely digital.

Shuttertalk, could we have this? or would it be too much (or beyond the scope of this site?)?

Space for images, we can put on places like photobucket, pbase (which also allows for comments?). Themes can be decided here, talking about cameras and computers is already done here. Can somehow integrate this into shuttertalk? Maybe a forum where we discuss photographers?

Actually, Cailean is working on forums and coppermine integration, which is a full fledged photo gallery script. I haven't seen how it looks yet though, but it's certainly interesting.

I really do think that it's a possibility in the near future... couple of issues are time and web hosting costs.

First one I guess can be dealt with if some people are willing to help out with coding stuff... no big dramas there.

For hosting, I've only got 1G of disk space, and we're sitting at about 185 megs at present. I know people will definitely want to upload full sized images for their folios, so that will chew through the space like anything. Maybe when the advertising revenue picks up I'll look at getting additional web space...

I'm all for the idea of growing and expanding the community though, so thanks for the thoughts and ideas everyone. Stay tuned... where there's a will, there's a way! Big Grin

By the way, regarding the photo outings and meet ups, that would be awesome! I think there are four from Perth (including janey), and a bunch of us down in Melbourne... but it would be cool if in the future, we could perhaps have annual gatherings or something like that.... Big Grin

See this link by the way...

adam Wrote:Maybe a forum where we discuss photographers?

What did you mean by that... like discuss each other, or actual famous photographers and their work?

If it's the latter, maybe give me a bit more of a description of what the purpose of the forum is, and I'll add it to shuttertalk. Big Grin

both! Well, I'll think more and decide Tongue

shuttertalk Wrote:Actually, Cailean is working on forums and coppermine integration, which is a full fledged photo gallery script.
The integration is done, I just haven't been able to test it yet - and it'll be a few weeks before I can.

In the mean-time, *goes web-hunting for demo forum/gallery*
Hmm, the test setup doesn't seem to be working as expected...

OK, well, as of tomorrow I'm on holidays for 2 weeks, after which I should be able to install and test my own forum/gallery combo - I will report back here! (or somewhere near here...)

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

YEah ..
As adam said .. .
Me him and our friend Long go shooting when we have the time ..
its quite fun going on outings as a group ..

Cailean Wrote:OK, well, as of tomorrow I'm on holidays for 2 weeks, after which I should be able to install and test my own forum/gallery combo - I will report back here! (or somewhere near here...)

Woohoo! If you need any help (maybe we could do a test install on shuttertalk?) let me know...

Well, the Coppermine software and the punBB bridge file are available if you want to try it out while I'm away...

It would be very cool indeed for every shuttertalk.com member to have their very own portfolio at shuttertalk. Could this be a membership incentive? Maybe have a minimum # of posts before unlocking your portfolio?

If you are worried about disk space, ST, you can limit both the size (kB) & dimensions (pixels) of photos uploaded by members... Also, you can eliminate the auto-creation of 'intermediate' sized images so that for every photo uploaded you would only have a 800x600 max size plus a thumb. Normally you would 3 copies of every photo! (original, intermediate & thumb)

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Yeah, I might do the minimum # of posts thiing... sounds like a good incentive. Big Grin

Ok, guys and gals... I've downloaded coppermine, and will be testing the integration out. Wish me luck! Big Grin

Good luck

Cailean Wrote:Well, the Coppermine software and the punBB bridge file are available if you want to try it out while I'm away...

It would be very cool indeed for every shuttertalk.com member to have their very own portfolio at shuttertalk. Could this be a membership incentive? Maybe have a minimum # of posts before unlocking your portfolio?

If you are worried about disk space, ST, you can limit both the size (kB) & dimensions (pixels) of photos uploaded by members... Also, you can eliminate the auto-creation of 'intermediate' sized images so that for every photo uploaded you would only have a 800x600 max size plus a thumb. Normally you would 3 copies of every photo! (original, intermediate & thumb)

i like the incentive idea. and if people want to put up a really large amount of large images, maybe one day in the future paid memberships would be an idea. or if the business part is too difficult, then people could 'donate' or something. off the boards, say.

most of us have our own space as well, so even if we had our own gallery each of a limited amount of images, eg 10, and then a link to our own offsite gallery, that'd still be cool.

wheeee this thread's moving along lovelily!

This is counter culture from the underground
Eternal revolution this is our sound
KMFDM better than the best
Megalomanical and harder than the rest

Yeah ,,
im suprised that this site doesnt ask for donations..
hehe... most forums i see around are always asking for donations to keep em running ..

Ok... downloaded coppermine and seems to be ok. Just thinking though... what should the purpose be, of the photo galleries?

Just some I can think of:

1. personal folios or albums - where each user gets their own space for uploading photos

2. communal albums / exhibitions - where we all upload photos based on a theme

3. image database - building a database of cross-referenced photos, organised by themes, searchable by keywords

4. open source stock photograpy gallery - artwork that can be used for free

Where do you think Shuttertalk should be heading? Any other suggestions? I'd probably say that no. 1 is probably not the best use as the main purpose - there are plenty of image hosts already.

Ok guys and gals... galleries are up! I still haven't done the theme/site interation yet, but hey...

Just go to :
http://www.shuttertalk.com/gallery/

Have a play around... upload some photos... at the moment, I've set the max limit of photos to 800x600 - so if they exceed the size, they'll be automatically resized. Neat huh? Also, each member has a quote of 2 megs for the time being.

Let me know what you think! Big Grin

sweet

its a bit hard to navigate around the options at first..
but once you know where everyhting is .. it isnt bad at all ...

I think we must prevent access by non members, otherwise people may write stupid things, and rate pictures as 0/5!

Not that I know anyone so silly, of course................. Rolleyes

Cave canem

Just an Idea and depending on how many peeople are interested I might do it as a project to learn php, but would any one be interested in a DeviantArt style site but for photography onl, with different forums for defferent methods, photograpsand meetings organsied from the site, a clanadar of good phototaking places that can be added to by users, eg The Athens Openeing and closing ceremony, etc if there is enough interest (even if there isn't I may still do it) I might do it, the first few weeks/months from the begineg after the pre-release will be the 'beta' process and the first memembers will receive some benifits throught the course of things, eg if there becomes 'subscriber benifits' like DevinatArt, they will be put into these accounts to start, they will have access to new features before they are released etc. Any one interested, any ideas? Please email me at dewy@dewy.uni.cc

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Sounds interesting... perhaps we can turn the Shuttertalk Gallery into something like that... eh? Big Grin

Could be good ..
i can help with the source coding.. once i get around to learning mor ecomplex PHP

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Jul 14, 2020, 09:55
Last Post by Barbara G.
Mar 12, 2020, 04:53