Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photography Softwares

Hello

Since there are tremendous amounts of various photography software flying around in today's digital age, I though of summarizing some of the tools which everyone uses.

So how about we list what all tools we use and what are their major functions.

I use:
Adobe Photoshop (All sorts of editing and image manipulations)
Picassa (For quick editing)
Gimp (For HDR Images)

Cheers
Samy

I use Photoshop Elements 9 and a couple of add on filters, Nik color efex pro 4 and Topaz adjust 5. Both of these have a number of templates which work as layers within elements.

I use
Adobe Lightroom (for mainly photo retouching, album making and tethering during studio shoots)
Adobe Photoshop (for creating designs from scratch, to printing and manipulating some images and other retouching I don't much to do in lightroom
Photomattix (HDR prcoessing)
StudioCloud (for DataBase keeping and backend for my studio)
StudioCLoud LINK

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

I use Picasa, n love it, that's all.

For continued discussion: Okay - what is your favorite photography software? And what are the biggest benefits you feel that you gain from using them?

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

My main photography software is Corel's PaintShop Pro currently version X5. It offers just about all of the functionality of Photoshop but at a fraction of the price (less than $100 and often on sale for less). It has a good organizer, a fast editing system for adjustments, and a full featured editor that has all of the layers, curves, sharpening, and effects features. Additionally I use plugins from Topaz, Nik, KPT, and one called Wireworm.

Thanks hotglassguy! Welcome to the forums! Nice to have you here and we look forward to learning more about you!

You are right when you say there is plenty of post-processing software available. I use Aperture 3 (running on a MacBook Pro) for my main editing. I think Aperture 3 is roughly equivalent to Adobe's Lightroom and permits powerful and intuitive editing of images. It also has a comprehensive cataloguing system. In addition I use Photoshop elements 11 as a plug-in to Aperture 3.

I am trying to delve onto the world of AV, using PicturesToExe software, which unfortunately only runs on a PC.

hfb46 - welcome to the forums! Glad you are here with us!

(Aug 10, 2013, 10:52)hfb46 Wrote:  I am trying to delve onto the world of AV, using PicturesToExe software, which unfortunately only runs on a PC.

Hello and welcome to shuttertalk hfb46. I'm curious to this kind of software, Any recommended developer for this kind? Why and why not the other? Can this be similar to iPhoto for Mac?

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Aug 12, 2013, 17:13)PhotoPlay Wrote:  
(Aug 10, 2013, 10:52)hfb46 Wrote:  I am trying to delve onto the world of AV, using PicturesToExe software, which unfortunately only runs on a PC.

Hello and welcome to shuttertalk hfb46. I'm curious to this kind of software, Any recommended developer for this kind? Why and why not the other? Can this be similar to iPhoto for Mac?

I have used Aperture (similar to iPhoto) to produce slideshows and they are OK. However, in my camera club we have standardised on PicturesToExe. In my opinion this is better software than the Aperture/iPhoto for producing slideshows. There is other software out there, and each to his own, but I don't have personal experience of it. If you go the P2E route then you could check Barry Beckham's web site (http://www.beckhamdigital.com.au). Barry produces some excellent training material and runs a very friendly forum. Good luck.

Good to see a lot of responses with some different new names of software that I can try my hands on. So far I am loving the Adobe Photoshop and I am doing lot of exercises using my older images trying to learn various tricks from photoshop. Picassa was my first tool and so far the only tool I used to rely on, but with Adobe CS now I am addicted to it more than picassa.

(Aug 8, 2013, 09:40)Barbara G. Wrote:  For continued discussion: Okay - what is your favorite photography software? And what are the biggest benefits you feel that you gain from using them?
I use Zoner Photo Studio 15, I have been using Zoner for years now.
I like it because it's very easy to learn, it's very fast, produces excellent results, earlier versions are free, Zoner 15 has a free 30 day trial, and finally the best point it that it's a European product! and do not bring expensive updates every few months like Adobe.

(Aug 8, 2013, 09:40)Barbara G. Wrote:  For continued discussion: Okay - what is your favorite photography software? And what are the biggest benefits you feel that you gain from using them?

For my paid jobs, LightRoom w/OnOne Perfect Suite 7 plugins.
Fast, efficient adjustments and minor edits. And any edit can 'synch' across any number of images. So I get the exposure and color balance where I want it, and synch it across the whole shoot. (Wish Picasa did that!)

I have PhotoShop CS6, but rarely use it.

For my personal stuff, I still go back to Picasa.
With the ability to work in Creative Kit directly from the edit screen, I can do 99% of what I'm after.
I can easily share my pics using the integrated Picasa Web Albums (now part of Google+)

Even tho it's not the perfect solution, I love using Photoshop CS5 for everything. I believe this is because it is always open so I just drag and drop the photo, press few shortcuts and I'm all done.

In case my PS is not already up on the second screen, I use ACDSee Pro. I love how simple and fast this software is and how almost everything can be done literally in a minute. Another great thing about it is that it shows you the grid while rotating or cropping photos - this is one of the rare features that are not included in Photoshop but I find them really useful.

(Aug 7, 2013, 10:39)samyshah Wrote:  Hello

Since there are tremendous amounts of various photography software flying around in today's digital age, I though of summarizing some of the tools which everyone uses.

I use:
Gimp (For HDR Images)

Cheers
Samy

Been using Paint Shop Pro since before Corel bought them out - still using version 7. A bit antiquated but does what I need. Also have Picasa but find it a bit cumbersome.

Had Elements 9, but didn't have the RAM on this laptop to keep the machine from stalling out. It sure is a memory hog

Liz

(Aug 7, 2013, 10:39)samyshah Wrote:  Hello

I use:
Gimp (For HDR Images)

Cheers
Samy

(Aug 19, 2013, 16:31)Wall-E Wrote:  

Fast, efficient adjustments and minor edits. And any edit can 'synch' across any number of images. So I get the exposure and color balance where I want it, and synch it across the whole shoot. (Wish Picasa did that!)

With the ability to work in Creative Kit directly from the edit screen, I can do 99% of what I'm after.
I can easily share my pics using the integrated Picasa Web Albums (now part of Google+)
I have just downloaded the free version -perfect effects4. a couple of really useful effects templates but it does seem to work slowly through Elements 9. Would you recommend Perfect Suite? I was interested in the depth of focus plug in. Do you use this?

Korry, I use P/S4E, and there are grid lines on it, at View - Show - Grid, parameters are adjustable?? Ed.

hello
I am thinking about buying lightroom 4 or 5
any advise would be welcome
rob

I mainly use Adobe Photoshop and Camera Raw, but one of the most interesting pieces of software I had was one that tethered the DSLR Camera to the computer, allowing you to mess around with the settings straight from the computer.

(Aug 24, 2013, 07:45)Dean Wrote:  
(Aug 19, 2013, 16:31)Wall-E Wrote:  

I have just downloaded the free version -perfect effects4. a couple of really useful effects templates but it does seem to work slowly through Elements 9. Would you recommend Perfect Suite? I was interested in the depth of focus plug in. Do you use this?

I use the Suite through LightRoom. I can't speak to it's speed through PSE9.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

hi
I would like to buy a adobe light room book and tips
any help
thanks
rob

Hi Rob,

Have you taken a look at Amazon and Half.com yet? Other members may also have some great suggestions for you as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post