Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photoshoot for a local band - Goodnight Tiger

I had the pleasure of doing a photoshoot yesterday with a couple of friends of mine who are in a local band here in Perth called Goodnight Tiger.
Needless to say it was a lot of fun. Here are some of the highlights:

[Image: 717385433_8fTqM-L.jpg]

[Image: 717379299_nTeXY-L.jpg]

[Image: 717381526_zVMZE-L.jpg]

[Image: 717383814_82e4r-L.jpg]

[Image: 717391074_xNorU-L.jpg]

[Image: 717386677_z9qvd-XL.jpg]

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Lovely as your stuff always is!! - makes me want to listen to (and buy) their music.

#1 and #3 are awesome!!

[post edited] Last night when I looked at this, I felt they looked over-PhotoShopped and commented to that effect. In the clear light of day, they look fine. Apologies for any criticism of your work - they are splendid.

I love them all - awesome tongue in cheek humour. Love the little tiger and the toy gun... and IS THAT A TYPEWRITER??? Big Grin

Some fun stuff there Adrian!

Canon stuff.

Beautiful pictures Adrian... They certainly transmit happy feelings...

I see #3 as the most expressive... I like the story, but to me the fence give me a feeling of being separated from the city...

Colors and light in all of them are superb as always! Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks for the comments all.

Irma, that's really interesting that you like #3, and your interpretation is one I had never thought of (I chose that view because I simply liked the way the sky, fence, and grass divided the frame equally with 3 different textures). That was also one of their favourites shots, but I'm not a big fan of that one.

Jules, you are correct. A real typewriter! It still had the $2 price ticket on it from the 2nd-hand shop they bought it from!

Toad, I appreciate your comments and didn't take offence at all. It's valuable to get that kind of honest feedback. Thanks.
I definitely get your point about them looking a over-processed. I was thinking maybe I was getting a bit carried away with the colouring and some of the exposure tweaks on these shots, particularly #1 and #6. I use two supposedly calibrated monitors but I think there is a problem with the calibration on at least one of them at the moment. Lately my photos have been looking good on one screen but over-processed on the other. The trouble is I don't know which screen I should believe, or maybe they are both out of whack? Having said that, shots #2, #3, and #4 have had very little done to them at all. Just a few lightroom tweaks to add a bit more punch. Perhaps a bit too much punch...

I was very interested in your comments about false DoF in #5 and #6. Actually I didn't do any photoshopping to emulate shallow DoF in any of the shots. Those blurry backgrounds are just as they came out of the camera.
Having said that, some of the Channel Mixer and Tone Curve tweaks I made can have a side-effect of making certain colours appear artificially light or dark and can affect the blur quality in OOF areas (such as the strange banding effect that follows the top of the tree-line of #6). This might explain why those areas look out of place.
Either way, thanks for drawing my attention to those areas.
Here is another photo taken the same time as #6 but with less processing. This is as it came out of the camera with only the most basic WB and Tone adjustments in LR. Compare the trees in the background and you can see their outlines look a lot more natural in this shot, although overall the shot is less punchy than the one I posted above.

[Image: 717387171_Updoh-L.jpg]

And finally a few monochrome shots. Because I think the over-processed look in the previous shots was due to my colour/exposure tweaks, I'd be interested to see if you still think these look over-processed. Both of these haven't had much processing done at all apart from the mono conversion, but the lighting in both shots gives them a bit of a surreal look IMHO.

[Image: 717386047_R8LSx-L.jpg]

[Image: 717380665_fGng6-L.jpg]

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Well it may be my monitors as well. When I looked at them last night on one monitor, I got this feeling of over-processing - but when I looked at the today (on another monitor), I felt that I was wrong.

There may be something in what you say though as #6 definitely looks less processed than #5. Anyway, the whole idea of me criticizing anyone for post processing is absolutely ludicrous - I never ever publish a photo without processing and often it is extreme. I feel like a dolt for even mentioning it.

I like a lot the idea of the ties in #9, I wish the girl had only one hand holding her sunglasses so the contrast with the ties would show more.

I think I forgot to comment on the expression of the short hair girl in #6 before, I saw it then a bit serious like not so relaxed... I like a lot more #7... it makes me smile too... Wink

From all pictures with the motorbike I think the first one is just perfect!

As a general idea from all pictures you have shown, I'd like to say that I appreciate a lot the contrast you work on them... the contrast in clothes and accessories, expressions, poses they really make the series very interesting...

You all did a fantastic job! Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Ah these are so beautiful and so creative works. But yes, my best one is number 3 too! It is much more impressive, there are also so lovely touching with all these details. I loved this one so much, yes so much.

Thank you, Adrian, you did a great job!
With my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Apr 15, 2017, 02:48