Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photoshop Revelation

Pic was taken 2009, no Photoshop knowledge then, probably did this about end of 2011, after being guided into the mysteries of it. Still is a bit of a mystery!
The first one is straight from RAW, untouched.
The final one took me about a week, and, many hours of trial and error.
Probably could be improved now I know a bit more, but, I was not then aware it could be saved as a PSD, and worked on ad infinitum.
It certainly opened my eyes as to the possibilities.
Apart from the sky, it is as I remember it.
I do not think I could have produced a B & W print of comparable balance in the darkroom. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Certainly a lot to learn with Photoshop - both in what to do and what not to do. I cringe when I look at my early efforts - I did not use enough restraint always.

Looks a lot better without the lamp posts.
Now, if only we could do that in real life!!

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

Wow, that's quite the transformation! I don't know if I could've done that in Photoshop.

The only thing I think is missing from this photo is something from the sky - maybe you could've gotten another sky from some other photo?

Woahhh.. You're awesome how you retouched that image. And a great perspective how you wanted your image to end up. Superb!

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

With Sky, just done it. Does improve it, to me. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Dec 9, 2013, 04:41)EdMak Wrote:  With Sky, just done it. Does improve it, to me. Ed.

Really nice, 'grats!

(Dec 9, 2013, 04:41)EdMak Wrote:  With Sky, just done it. Does improve it, to me. Ed.

Ed,

You really do posses the most amazing knowledge and also the talent to go with it. The knowledge you have gained through your own efforts, this I know from our communications, but the talent must be God given, and therefore, accorded very, very few.

Keep up the good work, and keep on inspiring the rest of us to try harder. Smile

Regards.

Phil.

Hi
new sky makes a big difference , this photoshop is certainly a majic trick i have to master , but after I learn to take better pics, well done guys great revelation.
john
Angel

(Dec 9, 2013, 05:37)kNox Wrote:  

Really nice, 'grats!

Next time try expanding your selection by 1-2 pixels (you will have to do a bit of trial and error here in order to get the best effect for the resolution of the image you are working on)

Then before you paste into selection, feather the selection by 1-2 pixels or whatever works better for your image. The higher the resolution of the image the higher the feather rate you will require.

This will get rid of the unnatural fringe that makes you sky stand out a fake.

Many thanks. I am not certain how to activate the functions you mention. Can you expand a bit please. Or, point me to a tutorial. No hurry. I use CS4E. Grateful. Ed.

To each his own!

(Jan 14, 2014, 11:07)EdMak Wrote:  Many thanks. I am not certain how to activate the functions you mention. Can you expand a bit please. Or, point me to a tutorial. No hurry. I use CS4E. Grateful. Ed.

Hi Ed,

I am using CS6, but I think the menus are still the same for this process.

After you select you sky, go to the MAIN MENU and then follow this path: Select>Modify>Expand

This will increase the boundary of you selection by as many pixels as you choose. You will need a little trial and error. But I would recommend starting with 1-2 px for a 72 dpi image and 5-6 for a 180 dpi image.

Next follow the same path but rather than choosing expand, choose FEATHER. Again some trial and error is in order, but I would suggest you start with the same values as you used for your expand.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it goes.

I am traveling at the moment and do not have access to my computer. I am using an iPad and do mot have my files with me otherwise I would have posted an example for you.

Best of luck

Many thanks for such a quick response. I did as detailed,but the Modify feature is grayed out, checked on Laptop, same. The Layer was selected, and live. I must be missing something? Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

(Jan 15, 2014, 04:41)EdMak Wrote:  Many thanks for such a quick response. I did as detailed,but the Modify feature is grayed out, checked on Laptop, same. The Layer was selected, and live. I must be missing something? Cheers. Ed.

Start with 2 open files, the image you want to enhance the sky in and an image containing the sky you want to use.

Make the image to be enhanced active. Use the selection tool(s) of you choice to select the sky. Then perform the steps I outlined in my last post.

Now make the image with the good sky active, select the entire image and copy.

Return to the image you want to enhance and choose EDIT>PASTE INTO.

The image with the good sky will appear in the selected area of the image you wish to enhance. Before you press RETURN(ENTER), you can move and resize your sky to get exactly the portion you wish to use.

When you have mastered this, try creating a new blank layer on your target image and past into it. You can creat as many new blank layers as you wish with each housing a different sky. It then becomes a simple matter of toggling layer visibility on and off to reveal different skies and moods for you image.

Cheers

I will certainly appreciate your work without photoshop still you did a very good job.

Son60, apologies for not getting back sooner. Took Flu, (Had the jab)! 2nd Jan, 6/10 ropey days, the recovered, but, last Thursday, got up, then back to bed immed, very dizzy, lived in bed, ate nothing, son finally phoned NHS24, they were fantastic, Dr.appeared within 2 hours. Gave me a very intensive check, and concluded, a Virus, better this morning, got up this afternoon, ate something, feel on the road to recovery, but fairly week, probably being 79 does not help! Will get into things and have a go. Your help appreciated. Regards. Ed. (Away to bed).

To each his own!

Son60, an update.

I tried all your tips, but find that when I select the sky to be replaced, the selection also appears on the sky pic I want to insert. I then only get the selected part of sky when I Paste. If I Move, I see the original sky underneath. I removed the tick from ALL Layers, no difference. I am missing something, somewhere.

All was not lost, following on your posts, I selected the sky on the Att pic, used your settings, and, to me, see a big difference.

A day you learn something, is not a day wasted.

Again, more thanks. Regards. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post