Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Playing Illusions

They invited me to play this game with them and I gladly accepted...

They pretended to be a famous band.... I pretended to be a great photographer... Smile

[Image: DSC_2859-02gentechnik.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2883-01crane.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2918-01stairs.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2933-01pilares.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2938-01three.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2954-01walking.jpg]

Thanks for your comments and advice Smile

Sorry... I forgot to introduce Hendrik ... He is Swantje's brother...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Very cool!!
Looks like you guys had fun!!

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Irma, love the balance and symmetry and the lighting in 6 is wonderful. No 5 would be my favourite. In No 4 I think I would have placed the guy at the back as he is dominant due his size and feet anyway and IMO tends to overshadow the ladies a little. No 3 just a lovely group portrait. No 1 is a record album cover. Not too keen on No 2 tho. Also your B&W, or is it sepia, treatment works great.TonySmile

#2 and #5 I like. The only one I don't really like is #3 where the girl in the middle has a big handrail in front of her.
#2 would like to see them closer together, but I still like it.
They are all good. Tell the girls to get some pretty high heels.Smile to match their faces.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Tony, You are right about #4... I would have taken the picture from the other side and leave him in the place of Nina (orange t-shirt) and play another pose with them... This was something I didn't think much about, rolling positions is a good idea and you have more options... I think #2 is the only picture where they are farther from the camera and look all a bit isolated... I also like your point about balance in #6... Thanks so much for your comment and advice Smile

NT... You are right about #3... I liked that place because it was a little stair to this platform... I took a lot of pictures from different angles and they didn't work but just this one... and I chose it because they all look very nice... Smile I find a bit difficult to clone out the thing because Nina's hand... It was a bit difficult to get the best of them in one picture... I think there will be some pictures with high heels in the future... just when the weather allows it... It was so cold yesterday... Thanks for your comment NT Smile

Schell... We really had a lot of fun... and we are planning more!! We have already one place where we want to stage a Celtic scene... We'll make research about the clothing, tools, utensils they used and see what we can do ourselves and see what we can get in the market... We just have the place and a wooden bowl so... It will take a bit of time... Smile

Thanks so much for your comments Smile

Paul Cezanne

Hey awesome pics Irma... if you had told me that they were a famous German band, I would have believed you! Big Grin

My favourites are #4 and #6 - loads of attitude in those shots, and very classy. Well done!

Must have been really fun doing the shoot...

Wow! Totally not expected this type of photography from you Irma. Excellent job. I really like 4 and 5. 4 being my pick above the rest. I hope this goes to your portfolio.Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Great job Irma, and it looks like it was a lot of fun too! Big Grin
My thoughts on each shot are as follows FWIW:
#1 - Sorry, I don't like this one much. Nice idea, but it looks forced. It needs a different location and poses/expressions I think.
#2 - Fantastic! Don't do a thing to it, its almost perfect! The shapes, space and relationships are genius. Big Grin
#3 - I like it. It's not my favourite, but it works very well as the type of casual group portrait a band might use. The rail doesn't bother me.
#4 - This is a great shot that would be even better if Nina didn't have a little hint of a smile. Lovely atmospheric vignetting.
#5 - Arrghhh! This should be my favourite shot, but its not! Its frustrating! The idea behind it and the composition are brilliant and the shot itself is inspired, but it seems like it can't decide whether its trying to be a serious shot or a fun shot, and leaves me a bit confused. But its so close!
#6 - I really like the poses and background for this shot. The vignetting is a bit too severe for my liking though, I'd be inclined to crop a fair chunk from the top and bottom of the image.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

ST I am happy you enjoyed the pictures... They are really great people... Smile

Colin, Now that you mentioned, it would be really nice to add some of these pictures to my site...
Thanks for your comment and advice I am happy you liked the surprise ...Smile

Thanks for your thoughts about my pictures Adrian... you have pointed out an interesting aspect like their expressions in the picture... I have to say that I didn't instruct too much in the pictures... I let them proyect what they wanted and how they felt in that moment... They posed and I was taking the pictures as they were moving...

Exploring my pictures under this point of view... I see the first picture again... and now I found what I dislike a bit about it... and it is Nina's expression... She looks too serious... also that it was the first spot we found and we all were warming up...

We will talk about this in our next meeting... Smile

Thanks to you all for your kind comments Smile

Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma, I find all the shots you presented interesting, I can’t pick a favourite..........I agree with most of the comments, so I won't add to them. I just wanted to say keep going with this!! I think both you and the "band" have done well.

Cheers

Back to #3. I wonder if her hand was on the rail instead of behind it, would it look better.
That is if the rail has to be there of course.
There is a lot to think about to get them correct first time, second time, third time......Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Hi Irma:

In rock music, spiritual angst is the ticket (my apologies to Christian rockers) , and Jules hit the nail on the head when he mentioned loads of attitude. The band members shouldn't look like they are having fun - they need to look larger than life (and a lot meaner). For these reasons, only #2 and #6 are real "rock" photos IMHO.

Don't get me wrong - you have done some great portrait work on the other shots as well - the woman on the left shows great atttitude in #3 - but for rock bands, you need to resist the urge to make the band look likeable or nice - and this is why #4 and #5 miss the rock mark IMO.

#1 is almost there, but the pose seems a bit stilted, and the composition leaves me cold.

You look at #2 and #6 and you can believe that these people are a rock band. In #2 - the poses say that they don't care what we think - they are way above that. Photographically the composition is also great. #6 really captures the attitude as well. The gritty industrial look reminds me of the Velvet Underground in '69 or the early Beatles in Hamburg. Both these 2 really hit the rock mark.

Sorry if I am over critical - it's just my $.02 as usual...

Thanks Russ for your comment, we will continue... we will change the place and we will play some other situation... We are already working on it Smile

NT I will take your advice with me next time we are there... I like that spot and I will work some other compositions... Smile They told me they liked this place too Smile Thanks

Thanks so much for your comment and critique, Toad... You were not over critical, you are right... I really appreciate your advice Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by kNox
Mar 23, 2015, 04:30
Last Post by Plantsman
Nov 24, 2014, 12:59