Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please critique my web site.

Hi Everyone,

Irma very kindly offered to make me up a web site for the competition I have been nominated for. However, I thought I would have a go myself.

Please let me know what you think. I have never done anything like this before and it has been a rush - but feedback is great.

http://www.smallpackagefilms.com/

Thanks,

Chris

Canon stuff.

I love the site. It looks great, the minimalist treatment is excellent, and I like the way the picture controls don't change position for landscape or portrait orientations.

Two things caught my eye. The first is in the "about" section, where you write: "From that moment on..." I find this line to be too casual and puts down your craft. I understand that you're reflecting on the original epiphany that's brought you to your current commanding skills, but hiring a photographer who points a "thing" at "stuff" isn't going to give a bride or groom a warm glow thinking about their wedding day. The language needs to be elevated a bit.

The other was the pricing page. I (think I) see the reason for the 'price (value)' comparison for the first package, since the difference is the discount amount for prints, but that doesn't hold true for the others. There's also some formating issues with orphaned line breaks, and a place where you say "next page" instead of "below".

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I just paid a brief visit to your site, it looks quite cool. There are some things though: First, the site logo doesn't show, I get the red X instead. Also, I think Matthew is right with the text. Finally, the contact link. Clicking "Contact Chris" from the left hand navigation goes to a web form, which is fine. But when I clicked a link "contact me" under a picture, it was a "mailto:" with a real email address. Putting an email address on a web site is a sure way to harvest loads of spam. I suggest you change the mailto link to go to the web form, too.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Here is a little more:

The position of the Main Content division is a little too high, it interferes with "....simply beautiful wedding photography".

I just saw that your site logo is "camilo_logo.psd". If you turn it into a jpeg, everyone will see it. Smile

I tried the site with the K-Meleon browser, which is obviously not capable of showing the flash gallery. I'm getting

Sorry, I cannot display the flash slideshow for one of the following reasons.
1. Your browser does not support Javascript.
2. If you are using RapidWeaver, please make sure your theme is using the most up-to-date version of the javascript include file.

It would be better to show an html gallery instead of complaining about the browser, IMO. Smile

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

It should hit the right spots with the to be wedded couples.

I was born to point this thing at stuff Maybe something along the lines of "I just knew my vocation."
or whatever.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Looks very professional Smile
One small thing for me was on the packages page

Quote:When you choose Small Package Films for your Wedding you will come away from one of the most memorable days of your life with
confidence that the event was captured just as you desired.

We use the latest Digital Camera and Video equipment along with a passion for our work to provide a professional, respectful, hassle free
experience for you, our client."
The word-wrapping is fighting the forced line break causing the words "with" and "free" to have their own line. It happens throughout the page. (I'm using Mozilla firefox, but also happens in IE)

Also, is your company name "Perth Wedding Photographer", "Chris Brown", "Small package films", or "simply beautiful wedding photography"?. The title says "Perth Wedding Photographer" while the largest words on the website make me think "Chris Brown" and at the same time the website address "Small package films" Smile

To be the first time you make a web site, it looks very nice Chris. Still there are few things to review, as it was mentioned already in the comments above, but the best is that it is up and running... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Great feedback guys - I have made the following changes:

1) Made my logo smaller so laptop users don't get conflict with the side logo and my name.
2) Changed the "point this thing at stuff" to "love at first touch". What do you think?
3) Got rid of the packages and just left a link to the PDF.
4) Changed the title to each page to reflect the actual page.
5) Changed the psd file to a jpeg.
6) Got rid of the contact me at the bottom - they have to use the form now.

Keep it coming in. Thanks again. Let me know if the changes are ok.

Canon stuff.

The front page looks good Chris, but I keep getting "Bandwidth Limit Exceeded" errors on most other pages!
You'd better get in touch with your web hosting company to get some more bandwidth!

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Ooops, I'm getting bandwidth limit exceeded too! Big Grin

I think it's sorted now.

Canon stuff.

Definitely sorted and I have changed the splash page as well. Is it better now?

Thanks.

Canon stuff.

Chris...

Hope you don't mind I worked a bit with your page.

The entry page I would suggest you say something like "Click here to enter" because there are still some people that don't know that a picture can be a link and enter to the site.. or they might be waiting for the page to load...

Your entry page is a page with testimonials about your work. As they are too long, the text length makes a scroll bar at the right in the page, and it doesn't look too nice so I suggest you make little paragraphs and just place two of them... You can make them in PS and place them under the picture as images. I cropped the picture (as kind of header) too to give room to the testimonials... If you had more you could always replace them every now and then or make a page for testimonials and put a link in the menu at the left....

Here is my suggestion for the organizacion of the page.

Index page...

[Image: Chriswebsite.jpg]

Page for the gallery...

[Image: Chriswebsite2.jpg]

I don't think it is necesary you have two menus in the gallery page. I think one is ok and people don't get lost... About the font of the page, it is best that you use at the most 3 different fonts in the whole site, for consistency and the same goes for the colors.

Hope you find this useful... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Forgot to mention....

Films
amazed
(picture)
Brown
photography

should be lined at the same vertical line at the right. I really couldn't get it right here... There is also a typo in packages second page...
Sorry.

Paul Cezanne

Chris, Just had a look at your web site very well done
Bill

Hi Irma,

Thanks for all the help. I have made some adjustments. I have taken my name from the top left on all the pages. It looks cleaner now. I feel if I put the logo to the right as well as my name it will become to right heavy with a lot of negative space on the left.

I have removed the double up of links to the gallery.

I think I will just put a testimonial page into the site and think of something to say on the home page - ideas anyone?

I am still tossing up about what to do with the splash page.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Great site!

Looks very professional, and the images speaks for them self!

Im in the works of updating my own site, should be online in a few weeks.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

I also did it on Rapid Weaver - seem to remember that is what you used to get your site up.

Canon stuff.

Yea i used Rapid weaver, great software!

My new site is in flash though, ill let you know when it's up.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Aug 19, 2017, 03:37