Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Polarising lens filter...?

I have been looking at getting a polarising lens filter and have seen the circular polarising ones, forgive my ignorance, I believe these are the ones you can twist until you get the effect you desire. That's the one I'd like and have seen several on eBay and elsewhere but not sure which one to get, it would have to be a 72mm one and think Hoya filters look ok, I'm unsure, any help from you guys to help me choose?

Many thanks, Bob

All polarizing filters need to be adjusted by turning, and viewing the effect. A circular will still maintain auto focus, (in most cases), a linear will not autofocus, hence the price difference. Cannot use such a filter quickly, so a Linear did all I needed, when working. Probably moved the goalposts by now. (Old) Ed.

There is nothing wrong with Hoya filters. They make several different "quality levels" of circular polarizers (CPLs). I have Hoya filters and I find them quite good, but I always buy their Professional level filters. Whatever you decide, my suggestion would be to make sure the filter is coated glass (not plastic) as the coatings will help reduce flare from the filter and make sure the filter ring that holds the glass is metal, often aluminum, and not plastic. furthermore, be careful of cheap knockoffs from "other countries". Hoya filters are generally made in Japan.

If you have more than one lens with a different diameter, then buy one for the largest diameter and then buy step up or step down rings so that the filter will fit the smaller diameter lens. For example, my largest lens is one with a diameter of 82 mm and a lot of my other lenses have a diameter of 77 mm. I bought an 82 mm Hoya filter and then a step down ring that screws into the 77 mm lenses and the filter (82 mm) screws into the 82 mm side of the ring. Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

I'd go along with the Hoya filter route. A long, long time ago they also did a 'filters system' called "The Hoyarex System" which was a square filter system whereby by means of a series of 'adapter rings' for various diameter of lens as mentioned by 'Western Guy' you could mount the Filter holder or even a series of filter holders into which you could slot anything up to three of these square filters per holder. I bought such a system at the time and have found it to be invaluable ever since. Unfortunately Hoya no longer make this system. I have absolutely no idea why they stopped making it and certainly wish they hadn't. Sometimes second user ones become available on E-bay and the like.

However, square filter systems are available from Cokein (Sp?) a French firm and there are of course the mighty Lee filters to chose from if you have no objection to getting a second mortgage.

Regards & Happy New Year.

Phil.

Thanks guys and it's the Hoya filters I have been looking at, I assume the professional ones are the ones marked Pro-1 Digital? I have also seen Hoya HD filters which are even more pricier, are these worth the extra cash. The jury is still out on which one I get so still viewing and looking at what's out there. My level of photography is still on a very steep learning curve so don't think breaking the bank is a necessary evil, especially so soon after Xmas, pay day seems a long way off ;-)

(Dec 31, 2013, 06:52)MrBob6939 Wrote:  I have been looking at getting a polarising lens filter and have seen the circular polarising ones, forgive my ignorance, I believe these are the ones you can twist until you get the effect you desire. That's the one I'd like and have seen several on eBay and elsewhere but not sure which one to get, it would have to be a 72mm one and think Hoya filters look ok, I'm unsure, any help from you guys to help me choose?

Many thanks, Bob

A circular polarizing filter is suitable for autofocus lenses. A linear pol. filter is more effective, but you have to switch to mannul focus.

What do you mean by, "more effective". Ed.

(Jan 4, 2014, 07:11)EdMak Wrote:  What do you mean by, "more effective". Ed.
I mean what I say: the effect is more pronounced. When you rotate the filter you can vary it from subtle to excessive, and anything in between. A circular polarizing filter will do the same, but to a lesser degree.

My preference is for a linear one, albeit at the expense of auto-focus.

Thanks, new one on me. Ed.

If you want to see a good basic explanation of linear vs. circular polarizers, then you might want to check this site out - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/show...hp?t=13143.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55