Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Poorly Heron

I took this yesterday beside a busy road so had to be quick. The heron flew past us onto the verge and hobbled into someone's garden. I couldn't get any closer for a better shot, and this is cropped quite a bit to get rid of flower pots. Would like some advise as to how to improve this photo please. I would also add it was a misty day so that might affect the outcome a bit.

Camera settings Manual, ISO400, 1/60 sec. f8, 250mm

With regards
Jane

Attached Files Image(s)

First, you did well steady wise, at a 60th sec. All seems against you here really, mist included. This is what I came up with?????? Could be an upright, cropping the tree out. One to chalk up to experience. Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Mar 16, 2015, 15:33)EdMak Wrote:  First, you did well steady wise, at a 60th sec. All seems against you here really, mist included. This is what I came up with?????? Could be an upright, cropping the tree out. One to chalk up to experience. Cheers. Ed.

Thank you Ed. I was so excited to see this bird I did the cardinal sin of not checking my camera settings before taking the photo. As you say, one to chalk up to experience.Confused

Regards Jane

Jane, when a shot is not repeatable, it can be worth trying to get the best out of it, if it is important to you. In this image, for me the magenta colour of the background, and the untidy blue of the middle pot, seem a bit distracting, so they could be removed. If you want the tree on the left (which I don't mind being there), then perhaps bring out more of its colour and detail. Then apply a few gentle tweaks to brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpening, to try to give a natural look, which is what I would be aiming for. You might also consider a 4:5 crop, i.e. without the tree. These are just some opinions and suggestions, of course. Smile

Examples:

Cheers.
Philip

(Mar 17, 2015, 05:17)MrB Wrote:  Jane, when a shot is not repeatable, it can be worth trying to get the best out of it, if it is important to you. In this image, for me the magenta colour of the background, and the untidy blue of the middle pot, seem a bit distracting, so they could be removed. If you want the tree on the left (which I don't mind being there), then perhaps bring out more of its colour and detail. Then apply a few gentle tweaks to brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpening, to try to give a natural look, which is what I would be aiming for. You might also consider a 4:5 crop, i.e. without the tree. These are just some opinions and suggestions, of course. Smile

Examples:

Cheers.
Philip

Thank you Philip. I never considered changing the colours of the pots, it makes a big difference. I will have a go at removing the rectangular pots as I like the tree off to one side.

You and Ed have given me some ideas to try out, thanks very much. I will keep this photo until I get a better one then compare them. Hopefully there will be a BIG improvement.

Thank you both very much for your suggestions. Being a newby to post processing I need all the help I can get Smile

Kind regards
Jane

The merits or otherwise of the technicalities aside, did anyone call a vet? The Heron really doesn't look at all well...

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Rolf, a great example of, Attention to detail. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 17, 2015, 09:42)Rolf Wrote:  The merits or otherwise of the technicalities aside, did anyone call a vet? The Heron really doesn't look at all well...

Kind regards

Rolf

Hi Rolf

Another car had stopped to watch the Heron and they said they would keep an eye on him and get the RSPCB if necessary.

Jane

Happy ending. Ed.

To each his own!