Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Poppy field (1)

I wanted to take pictures of the fields but I wanted to try something different, I wanted to work with light and I went to look for a field with patches of light and shadows. Thankfully the field where I am taking my pictures is about 10 km from home so I have been already few times there to retake what I think looks interesting. First I decided to make only three variations, three different series of two or three pieces each and focus only on those ideas.

The common idea that prevail in all series is a painterly look without using any post processing program, and work with my settings to let the lens surprise me. The field is also surrounded with long pines which are in the shadow early in the morning... I take my pictures around 8 a.m. so the light is not that high.

Here is the first series I call "Fiesta".

[Image: IMG_6721-Edit.jpg]

[Image: 72_IMG_6723-Edit.jpg]

I cropped my pictures in different formats, I see a different message in each of them.

[Image: IMG_6732-Edit.jpg]

This one doesn't have the hard contrast in the background, but still the texture in the background with some dark patches gives some interest.

[Image: IMG_6720.jpg]

I couldn't resist to work a bw version of this series. As we have some experts in bw conversion, I would really love to know if they agree with the treatment or I better go for the color version.

Thanks so much for looking ... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Oh my.
Irma, you have no idea how timely your submission is: just minutes ago I had a call from another photographer, telling me of a local field with the poppies out, so I started charging the 1Ds batteries so as to get there in the next day or two.
Really lovely and original treatment: the tones convey a sense of reflection rather than coldness...and they are all successful in different ways, with their layers of texture and differing compositions. I'm shamefully aware my own approach would have removed the delicacy that you have achieved...I'd have added some warmth in terms of colour temperature and also saturated the colours...and thus I'm sure I'd have ruined the beauty you have managed to preserve: our Canons do have a habit of clipping saturated reds and yellows!
Yes, delicate tones yet contrasting textures...so much interest but totally without urgency. Beautiful and delightful...ahhh, the feminine touch! Smile
I also think you chose the the one to most successfully reproduce in monochrome (bw)...mind you, the thought of #1 in "platinum" tones also intrigues me...hmmm!
I'd guess the bw conversion is a case of "swings and roundabouts", as we say in England: some tones are better with one filter, some with another. However, I wonder what this would look like with some simulation of an orange or even red filter? Certainly the poppies would then lighten, and greens would darken...both effects becoming more pronounced with the red filtration.
Lovely stuff!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Gosh - this is a game changer. I just completed about 50 shots in a poppy field in Italy, and have been reviewing them. These have given me something to think about regarding not being so literal in my interpretations. Poppy fields are in themselves kind of amazing things and the temptation is great to say "here is its - here is what was there". These photos have re-opened my eyes, and I need to go back to the digital drawing board.

#1 and #2 are both successful - but I believe that I prefer the tighter crop of #2, as no new visual element is added to the scene on the right in #1. Having said that, the landscape orientation of #1 does more to imply the scale of the field and the slight drop-off in visual interest adds a great "and so on..." or "etc" effectively to the viewer. The presentation and color palette of these 2 really focuses the viewer on the delicacy of the flowers.

#3 shares a similar stylistic treatment, but has a more natural color palette which some viewers may prefer (I think that I do but I am not sure). By providing 2 palettes for this treatment, you have extended your potential market for the shot. A more traditional art lover may prefer #3, while the first 2 treatments would fit nicely into a more stylish or modern environment - an upscale shop or boutique perhaps - or an apartment in Milan.

I'm not that crazy about #4. The contrast and technical approach are excellent, but I really miss the color of the first 3 variations.

I'm sure glad that you published these excellent images before I embarrassed myself by throwing some other lesser poppy images up on the site. A lesson in rethinking the obvious for all of us...

Thanks Zig for your comment and advice on my bw conversion. I was sure I could count on your advice... Wink What I think looks specially well in this version is the kind of transparency in the flower that is not so perceptible in the color version.

You were talking in another post about caring for detail. and I agree with you. I was really tempting to clean all little bits of grass and crossing twigs, but then I thought that doing that I could remove all that spontaneous clutter you see in a field with poppies. I appreciate that you see it interest to look at... Smile

Looking forward to seeing your Art form the field with poppy Smile

Thanks Toad, So you are still there? I wish you all the best, and I appreciate very much that you take time to comment on my pictures, it is really very kind of you.... Smile

One of the things I have noticed is that the field look more beautiful after a day of rain. The other thing is the time of the day. Early in the morning you get a lot more texture in the background as the sun is not high and the light seems to be whiter than in the afternoon.

I see what you mean with both frames (#1 and #2). About the color palette I also liked it very much. I had to work a bit my contrast with curves but still looks natural....

Thanks again Zig and Toad for your comment.... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:Thanks Toad, So you are still there? I wish you all the best, and I appreciate very much that you take time to comment on my pictures, it is really very kind of you.... Smile
No - actually I am back now, and plowing through my 2000 photos. I will be burying Shuttertalk in images as soon as I have digested what I have. First impressions is that I have a rich vein of gold that I will be mining for years to come.

My work is actually sending me on a business trip next week - so I hopefully will start to publish by the weekend. A second issue is that my hard drive was completely filled by my Italy photos. I can review my takings but not edit in any real way. I have purchased a new external drive, so all is well, but it has slowed down the reveal process somewhat.

Such a richness of sights, sounds, tastes, and images is Italy. I will haver to figure some way of dribbling out my stuff so as not to overdose everybody.

Irma, that's a revealing comment about time of day in taking the shots, especially as you favour the morning and evening. At those times the colour temperature is higher at those times, becoming cooler towards noon. At this time of year, approaching midsummer at our latitudes, the sun is almost directly overhead at midday, which gives us the coldest colour temperature and non-existent shadow detail of the entire year. So, for a sense of freezing, icy coolness in one's shots, all one does is to shoot landscapes at midday in June...and if a Canon user, to process "As Shot", otherwise rectify the issue by dragging up the temperature at raw conversion time to 4400+ degrees.

Toad: bugger. You just had to do a poppy field, didn't you..and an Italian one too. :mad: Big Grin Seriously, glad you are back safe my man. It took me 6 weeks to begin to get all meaningful on my Eetaly pics and I "only" had 1400. So looking forward to yours.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

You are right Zig, about light temperature... I don't know if it could be my eye or wrong appreciation but I find cooler the light three hours after the sunrise than three hours before the sunset. Still I haven't visited the fields in the afternoon (some three hours before sunset) I take my experience from a different place, like the forest or the sea... Isn't it fascinating to be able to see and appreciate how the colors and textures in the landscape can change during the day? Smile

Toad

Quote:First impressions is that I have a rich vein of gold that I will be mining for years to come.
I am very happy that you got so much material to work. I can't wait to see something... Wink

It was good that you got a fresh external drive, as you still have another trip in your agenda.... Wink

Quote:I will have to figure some way of dribbling out my stuff so as not to overdose everybody.
I enjoyed very much your pictures of France few years ago. I am sure I will enjoy the same all your works from Italy. Smile

Paul Cezanne

I nearly missed this. Why oh why does it take 4 days to come through to my PC and then, as one already seen.
Anyway the poppies have a sort of old masters (Paint) look about them, rather than a photograph. As has been said, you keep coming up with something different. Smile

I prefer the 3rd one without the soft triffids in the B/G. Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I am sorry you have this problem NT. I know you have been commenting about it already long ago.

I am happy you see that paint look... I am at the moment crazy about that effect, that means you will see more pictures like this... Big Grin

Thanks a lot for your comment... Smile

Paul Cezanne

WOW! So creative your poppies... You did great dear Irma!

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Beautiful Irma.

Canon stuff.

Thanks nia, Chris for your comments... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by kNox
Aug 25, 2014, 08:05
Last Post by webber
Aug 1, 2014, 10:07