Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Poppy field (3) and last.

These are my last pictures of the series of poppies... They are not a series, but I like them because I think they show my work with light.

I chose for this one a busy background that I think complements the flower. I have a big orange spot behind the flower... sometimes I see it as a continuation of the idea of flowers in the field but I don't really know if it disturbs a bit...

[Image: IMG_6239-Edit-es.jpg]

Working my light in a different way here and trying to give a truly painterly look. I have this one in square and some other formats to make a series. So far this is the one I like the most.

[Image: IMG_6242-Edit.jpg]

Thanks a lot for your comments and advice... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Actually they are both standing so nicely, the light and the colours well done, but yes, this is different from the other series, much more strong the colours, but I loved all of them, they all have a different touches. Thank you dear Irma,

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Irma - not ignoring your thread - just mind-bogglingly busy. Will comment later.

Thanks nia for your comment.

I worked my colors and contrast in the first one to make the flower really glow... Wink

No problem Toad, I wait until you have time... Thanks Smile

Paul Cezanne

I always have a really hard time critiquing flower shots, because almost everybody does them better than me - I don't seem to have an eye for these colorful little things.

I'm going to start with #2 first, because it is an easier crit for me. The bokeh is very nice and the fact that the flowers in the back echo the shape and aspect of the front flower works very well for me. If I have any problem with this one, it is that I don't feel compelled to come back to look at it again after the initial viewing. It is pleasing independently, but I feel that the image needs to be part of a series or triptych in order to give it more substance and impact. Sorry if I am being vague here - it is a very pretty shot in its own right.

When I look at #1, there are 2 things that leap out at me - the orange spot in the background, and the business of the background (on second read - I see that these are exactly the same two things that you are concerned about). I'm going to say that I think the orange spot behind the foreground flower works. Conventional wisdom would call that a composition error, but rules are made to be broken, and the more I look at it, the more I feel that it was the right decision - the orange spot in the background forms a halo that makes the subject appear much more iconic than it might otherwise appear. It also makes the foreground poppy appear crisper, and gives it needed presence.

As for the background, I understand what you are going for - and it feels right with the image. The only thing that is disturbing my eye is the large round bud (with a black eye) on the far left of the screen. If you cropped that out, I feel that it would tame the background a bit. Right now, I feel the bud competes with the main subject for attention.

This has been a fascinating series. Both you and Zig have presented the subject of poppy fields in ways that stretch your vision. This series of poppy threads have convinced me once and for all that my own poppy shots will never see the light of day... Well done!

Toad, great help with your comment.

#2 I know exactly what you mean and I think that was my idea but it was bit blocked... Yes, that is why it took me some time to understand this picture. I like it very much but I was seeing it a bit empty, like unfinished. That is why I made it in different formats. But it is a great idea to work a triptych with it. I think about this picture like pleased in a white wall, where you want to have color. I think the idea of series is great.

#1 I love that you talk about the bud, because I have the same picture with the bud a bit out of the frame and I didn't take it because i thought the bud will give something. Now I understand your thoughts and yes, you are right, it competes for attention.

I know it is not easy for you to make a review on flower pictures, Toad. That is why I appreciate even more that you gave such great feedback on my pictures.

Thanks a lot! Smile

Paul Cezanne

I agree: as Toad said in number 1: that 2nd flower "halo" is really effective. I also see what you mean about the bud on the left: my first reaction too was to suggest a crop..but this might alter the relationship of the flowers to the overall space. Thus, I'd maybe suggest a bit of Blur Tool on it to blend it with the sense of bokeh...?
Oh, I forgot to mention: I do like the blues: they complement and offer a cooling interest that offsets the warm poppy colours.
Interesting to again hear of the triptych idea: this really did give a new sense of movement, purpose and completion when you used it with the bees. I'd think it'd be fascinating to explore it with poppies(and even scenic images generally):I wonder if a triptych would have the added challenge of introducing the idea of a progression of moods, a sort of "event catalogue", rather than perhaps the single mood and texture of one poppy shot..?
(I hope I'm making some kind of sense here, as I'm responding as I write rather than thinking and then writing!) Big Grin

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig Wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention: I do like the blues:
Can blue men sing the whites?

#1 Works well.
#2 I think that they all should be OOF. IMO.

I'm pleased I finally found the # Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks Zig for your advice with the bud. You gave me a great idea!!... I could make that bud or something else in other pictures to blend into the background more with the blur Tool...

I think the idea of triptych or collage is great, but also I think I need a bit more of design work/learning for this kind of presentations. I don't consider myself good at this.

NT, thanks for your comment about #2, that was one of my doubts about this picture. Great to see that you share your thought here... Wink

Paul Cezanne

Both of these photos are really nice and grabbed my attention immediately. I was weighing options between liking to the first shot and the second one, and finally decided that I like them both, in different ways.
#1. I love your composition here, making use of the rule of the thirds.The soft, translucent petals that filters light are really amazing, and your choice of color saturation and contrast really adheres to the softness of the flower.I love the perspective you have chosen to shoot the flower, with back-lighting to illuminate the petals. The contrast in colors between the flower and the background is fantastic, and it helps the flower to stand out easily.

However something I find a bit disturbing is the blurred orange flower behind the subject.I feel there is a slight competition there between the colors, colors of the subject and that of the blurred flower.It would've been great if that flower was avoided at the time of shooting.Also I don't see a relation between the composition and the flower bud here, so i would've rather avoided that as well ( simplest way is to remove it from the frame at the time of shooting)

I love the shallow depth of field and the puffs of light blue inside the frame.

#2.I love this shot very much.The blurred flowers complement the subject, and in fact I think they are a part of the composition. I love the use of light and color here.
I love the detail seen inside the flower petals.

Something I'd have tried out is taking the same shot from a bit low viewpoint, so that you can fill the frame with the subject and the two blurred flowers and avoid the empty space to the top of the photograph.Smile

Your last one is the best one, by far. I feel like all the other photos were just trial runs for this one. Congrats, superb shot!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by kNox
Aug 25, 2014, 08:05
Last Post by webber
Aug 1, 2014, 10:07