Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Power

Apologies, don't want to deflect interest away from Toad's Gran Turismo, but the Showcase has gone a bit flurrisome since.
Besides, I honestly was going to post this series here for the following reason:
I was visiting my parents this weekend in the north of England, took these and realised they all shared the motif of "power".

[Image: 2038BWweb.jpg]

[Image: 2028Web.jpg]

[Image: 2028_inssetWeb.jpg]

[Image: 2025cropped.jpg]

[Image: 2023straightWeb.jpg]

[Image: 2019bwWeb.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Absolutely awesome work, Zig. These are drop-dead gorgeous.

Of the first 3 that share a common theme, I think #2 captures the scale disparity the best. The size of the nuclear power plant is really apparent in that one, whereas in #1 (nice though it is), the conflict in scale is not as obvious. The difference in clarity between the foreground windmill and background plant in #2 lets the viewer know just how much further away the plant is and reinforces the scale disparity still further. What do you think? Just about a degree of clockwise straightening, maybe?

#4 is a lovely portrait of the power plant, looking its absolute best for Sunday dinner with that snowy white plume of hair - like your favorite old uncle. Its hard to reconcile the benign appearance of the plant in this shot with the potential horror. The plant management should buy this one from you and hang it in their boardroom.

#5 is a great addition to your bucolic series of poppy fields and furrows in fields in general. I love the delicacy of the grain - you can almost feel the hint of a breeze - cooling but never cold...

#6 is another cracker. Great composition and wonderful use of the 21 (I assume). Your usual superb standard of processing is also much in evidence.

Great thread all around, Zig. Looks like the Photo Stories and Journalism forum has had almost as many threads in the last 24 hours as it had in the previous few months. Nice to see.

I have to say that I really like the first one. It snuck up on me.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Great series.

I went inside one of the cooling towers in Elland shortly before it and its mate were demolished. Quite awe inspiring things.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

These are so beautiful, dear Zig! You really did a wonderful set, how amazing this old one and at the back the modern world's power!

You are amazing, I am impressed so much.
Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

I forgot to say, the last one! How beautiful and impressive... We know at least they are an old rubber wheels, but how changes and how can be so beautiful in photographer's hands... Well done, dear Zig, I loved it too,

Thanks and Love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

That's very kind and encouraging, all; yes Toad: I did in fact rotate that one clockwise, then overdid it and couldn't be bothered...but it niggles me now! Yes also, it is the 21(only thing wider than 50 that I've got now).
There's a string of these power stations along the River Trent: Cottam, High Marnham, West Burton, et al; they were all coal-fired before Thatcher gave the pits round here the final shaft :mad: ...I'm not sure if they are still, or if they went nuclear.
That windmill, still working, is at the wonderfully named North Leverton With Habblesthorpe, for those who are itching to know. Smile

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

The middle of the set is a really fascinating set of views of the power plant, from the menacing to the corporate to the bucolic. It took me some time to warm up to the lower contrast in #2 (and #2b) but now I find it very effective. It's an interesting take on the series.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I like very much the way you approached this topic... The place is beautiful and I think you did a great job in composition, giving very different views of the place, from different angles, and scales of the buildings. Details are superb as always, I like all of them... The treatment you gave to the first one has a nostalgic feel without falling into a cliché image.

Thanks Zig for sharing these beautiful images... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Lovely work Zig. Number 2 and 4 work best for me.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Apr 19, 2017, 14:33
Last Post by shumicse
Jul 27, 2016, 03:54