Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Gardens & Gardening

Here is your opportunity to post some of the photos you have taken of gardens and gardening. They can be from any season, or time of the year. Post some general information such as the type of camera you used, settings used, as well as info about the setting if you can for the other members.

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Some Topiary at Doddington Hall, near Lincoln, UK.

Like it. If you have software to blur the background, well worth the effort. Ed.

To each his own!

There is a walled-garden in the local park, which is now splendid with beds of hyacinths. As one enters, the scene and the perfume are simply wonderful.
These photos were taken last Saturday (April 11) just after midday:

[ Pentax K-5 II at ISO 200, Pentax 28-50mm zoom lens - film era, about 35 years old, manual control.]

Cheers.
Philip

First one is a Picture Postcard. Great. Ed.

To each his own!

In a Cottage Garden

Just a few shots from a cottage garden in the county of Rutland England.

Summer
[Image: CG4_zpsb8b6foya.jpg]
Model: NIKON D300
Lens: Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6
FocalLength: 29.0 mm
Aperture: F20.0
ExposureTime: 1/60"
ISO: 800

[Image: CG5_zps0dh2apwq.jpg]
Lens: Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6
FocalLength: 70.0 mm
Aperture: F5.0
ExposureTime: 1/100"
ISO: 400

Spring
[Image: CG1_zpsjzafgcsl.jpg]
Model: Olympus C5050Z
FocalLength: 7.1 mm
Aperture: F2.8
ISO: 64

[Image: CG2_zpsvln0esbi.jpg]
Aperture: F2.6

[Image: CG3_zpsc9hoaga2.jpg]
FocalLength: 21.3 mm
Aperture: F2.6
ExposureTime: 1/160"

Photography is a never-ending journey

Second and last one, stand out for me. Lovely Peter. Ed.

To each his own!

Peter, I agree with Ed. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

P.S. Thanks for your Post #6, Ed.

Really nice shots of spring Philip. My favourites are the hyacinths and the entrance to the walled garden.

Thank you, Peter.

Cheers.
Philip

For me, the goldfish and the walled garden gate are simply wonderful. Jeff

I may be stretching the topic a bit by offering a photo I took on Sunday afternoon which might represent the garden of England, being in the Vale of Evesham. It's taken from Bredon Hill and you can see my hideaway down there by the lake. Regards Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

(Apr 20, 2015, 15:32)Freeman Wrote:  I may be stretching the topic a bit by offering a photo I took on Sunday afternoon which might represent the garden of England, being in the Vale of Evesham. It's taken from Bredon Hill and you can see my hideaway down there by the lake. Regards Jeff

A really nice image Jeff; I like the depth of field (almost a pun) Smile The calves; the beautiful house and of course your hide at the waters edge. What a place for peaceful contemplation.
I visited the Vale of Evesham only once when I lived in Birmingham for a short time.

The Doronicum (Leopard's Bane) in the family Asteraceae is the first herbaceous perennial to flower, and for that reason and more, a great addition to the bed or border.

[Image: Doronicum_zpssbyz4mks.jpg]

Renishaw Hall Gardens, Derbyshire
Model: C5050Z
Aperture: F4.0
ExposureTime: 1/320"

A really nice image Jeff; I like the depth of field (almost a pun) Smile The calves; the beautiful house and of course your hide at the waters edge. What a place for peaceful contemplation.
I visited the Vale of Evesham only once when I lived in Birmingham for a short time.
[/quote]

Thanks for a super comment... I also enjoyed the pun...I'm thinking of moving into that hide! Did you notice the cows are Herefords (Herefordshire is the next county along from Worcestershire) if I am not wrong?

Anyone going to the RHS spring show at the Three Counties Showground here in Malvern this weekend and want to acquaint? Failing that there are other events worth a visit - Truckfest - (for dramatic action), Three Counties Show (for livestock and shearing), and so forth, all great for photography with the Malverns in the background and a peregrine or two overhead.

A bit more humble and homely, though, here's a couple of shots of my woodland border last evening. In the first shot, spot magnolia, camellia, and rhododenrons just opening.

Cheers all Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Just a few images from the alpline house at RHS Harlow Carr Gardens, Yorkshire.
This grand structure erected in 2009 replaced 3 small glasshouses housing the alpine collection.

[Image: alpines_zpsh6nhukhc.jpg]

[Image: alpines1_zpsgz5gm5my.jpg]

Primula 'Hirstwood Midnight'
[Image: primula-hirstwood%20midnight_zpstlhr96ac.jpg]

Rhodanthemum hosmariense
[Image: rhodanthemum-hosmariense_zpsnoy44lch.jpg]

Ipheion 'Alberto Costillo'
[Image: Ipheion_zpsgudlagld.jpg]

Lewisia tweedyi
[Image: alpines2_zpsllr2kf9p.jpg]

Lovely Peter, great series, definately. Ed.

To each his own!

A spring glasshouse at RHS Harlow Carr, Yorkshire. Narcissus, Tulips and Muscari

[Image: Cold%20Glass_zpsvllq9kqo.jpg]
FocalLength: 40.0 mm
Aperture: F29.0
ExposureTime: 1/80"

[Image: Cold%20Glass1_zpslxml4uye.jpg]
FocalLength: 22.0 mm
Aperture: F22.0
ExposureTime: 1/50"

[Image: Cold%20Glass2_zpswfu84fkq.jpg]
FocalLength: 30.0 mm
Aperture: F18.0
ExposureTime: 1/50"

Peter Your shots are delightful. I especially appreciate the way you handle colours and above all whites. Super! Jeff

(May 28, 2015, 15:11)Freeman Wrote:  Peter Your shots are delightful. I especially appreciate the way you handle colours and above all whites. Super! Jeff

Thank you Jeff

This was our garden in 2012. That year, and for the next three years, my Best Beloved won the garden competition. This was taken with a Nikon D7000 and the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 G ED VR lens from the D3100 set at 24mm (36mm). Exposure was 1/60th @ f11 ISO 200.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Green Fingers Graham, definitely. Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 10, 2016, 04:40)EdMak Wrote:  Green Fingers Graham, definitely. Ed.
All ten of them and her thumbs too!

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Series of pics taken in my veggie Garden in Front Royal, VA in 2010. Canon A31 powershot, f/2.7, focal length, tmm, other info varied according the to the shots I was taking. My first camera. Have since graduated to the Nikon P600. Will do a series on my new garden here, just planted, when it gets larger.