Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Trees, Trees, & More Trees

Here is your opportunity to post some of the photos you have taken of trees. They can be from any season, or time of the year. Post some general information such as the type of camera you used, settings used, as well as info about the setting if you can for the other members.

Feel free to add to the thread as you like and have fun practicing your digital photography skills!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

These photos were taken during a recent trip to Jamaca.
I use a Nikon d600
The three palms were taken with a 28-300 at 28mm, f22 at 1/25s
The arch was the same lens at 72mm, f18 at 1/80
My 9 year old sun and I would wake up before the dawn to get the best lighting.
The third shot is his and was taken on a nikon cool pics aw 100 f9.4 at 1/1500
He just might have a future.

Attached Files Image(s)

I love the palms, can’t fault it. The arch is a great composition but not sure whether its the original image or processing that I’m not so happy about. Your son’s image is also great, especially for a compact. I think I might have cropped top and bottom but good shot.

Wood Hill at Alva, Central Scotland - 21 March 2013. The trees look like living sculptures.
Canon SX40HS, EXIF info reads - 1/1400, F4.1, ISO 147, 24mm

[Image: woodhillresize_zpsb7b3221e.jpg]

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
Ansel Adams

Nicely processed image, James, and love the sweep of the furrows reflecting that of the skyline. Main tree on the thirds, matched with mountain on the right. Not sure about the “unsupported foliage”, the bits of tree popping in from top, sides and bottom. IMO would be better without them.

Thanks for your comments Dean. The unsupported foliage is a tricky one. My first instinct was to clone them out but the more I looked at the image the more I got a feeling of depth, like the viewer is 'inside' somewhere looking out. Probably just the way my brain works and might not be relevant to anyone else. Whatever, thanks again for your kind words.

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
Ansel Adams

To me, removing the branches from the left and top, makes a big improvement. Would also reduce the contrast slightly. Ed.

Gotta agree with the comments about the extra stuff - though it's a really nicely composed shot

I'm quoting Bryan Peterson again (I've appointed him as my personal guru, he doesn't know it yet!). A 'storytelling' image must have a start, middle and end i.e. foreground, centre and background. So for me the framing foliage stays. Very nice composition James. Astounding depth of field for F4.1. I bet it was quite cold on the day as well.

Happy Shooting people!

Regards
Keith

I would agree, Keith, if the “framing foliage” was doing just that, framing. In this instance, I think it just intrudes. Especially the bit coming in from the top, which interferes with the shape of the otherwise magnificent tree. Personal opinion, of course, and, technically, its a great shot.

I made this image during a photowalk in the East Wetlands Park in Yuma, Arizona with my Nikon D7100 and a 35mm f1.8 Lens. The curves in the trunk caught my eye and I was able to fill the frame.
I used 1/45s, f11 and ISO 100.    

Nice image, unusual tree. Ed.

Beware the giant tree monster - Octreepus ! Confused

Originally a colour image shot in May this year with a Pentax K-5, 40mm, f/8, 1/50s, ISO 200, and processed in PSP X4.

Make a good poster for a 50's Science Fiction film. Ed.

Beware the spooky trees are out and they're watching!

My interpretation as a result of trees, trees and more trees

Impressed. Ed.

Love the composition!Cool

Intriguing - looks like you've incorporated your own shadow and that of maybe one other (child?) and, if you're paying attention, you then find the two people walking along the lane on the left. That is an image packed with interest. Top marks to you alberm.

Ansel Adams

(Nov 1, 2013, 11:41)James Tate Wrote:  Intriguing - looks like you've incorporated your own shadow and that of maybe one other (child?) and, if you're paying attention, you then find the two people walking along the lane on the left. That is an image packed with interest. Top marks to you alberm.

Im hidden by the main shadow, the wife is making out to be a tree to my left and the 2 ladies on the path, well done for spotting Smile

Yes, I got it up full screen and it really does make for a great composition. Even the overhanging foliage at the top adds to the overall effect. It might be interesting to others if there was some technical info...location, camera, settings - even time of day. That sun must have been really low.
I'm ranking this as a favorite. The more you look the more you find.

Ansel Adams

lovely composition

you tried cropping it at ground level, so just the shadows? still looks great, but a whole different look?

Did some late season camping in Temagami, northern Ontario. North of the city of North Bay. Standard 50 mm lense, f 1.8, 1/100. I think I was fortunate to be there just when the trees were peaking. The maples are much fewer but scarlet in color rather than red-orange as in southern Ontario. Man, it was beautiful.

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote='photowalker' pid='90567' dateline='1383156944']
I made this image during a photowalk in the East Wetlands Park in Yuma, Arizona with my Nikon D7100 and a 35mm f1.8 Lens. The curves in the trunk caught my eye and I was able to fill the frame.

I love the fullness, the vibrant aliveness of this tree. Filling the frame with it was a good move. Like a young Ent from Lord of the Rings.

(Nov 2, 2013, 20:45)danielbennett2020 Wrote:  [quote='photowalker' pid='90567' dateline='1383156944']