Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Trees, Trees, & More Trees

(Dec 26, 2013, 21:03)DanMach Wrote:  
(Oct 12, 2013, 19:44)john hen Wrote:  These photos were taken during a recent trip to Jamaca.
I use a Nikon d600
The three palms were taken with a 28-300 at 28mm, f22 at 1/25s
The arch was the same lens at 72mm, f18 at 1/80
My 9 year old sun and I would wake up before the dawn to get the best lighting.
The third shot is his and was taken on a nikon cool pics aw 100 f9.4 at 1/1500
He just might have a future.

Thank you for the pleasure I had in looking at your photographs. Dan
John, I'm having trouble finding the images. Did you attach them before posting?
Hal

(Dec 26, 2013, 21:45)photowalker Wrote:  
(Dec 26, 2013, 21:03)DanMach Wrote:  
(Oct 12, 2013, 19:44)john hen Wrote:  These photos were taken during a recent trip to Jamaca.
I use a Nikon d600
The three palms were taken with a 28-300 at 28mm, f22 at 1/25s
The arch was the same lens at 72mm, f18 at 1/80
My 9 year old sun and I would wake up before the dawn to get the best lighting.
The third shot is his and was taken on a nikon cool pics aw 100 f9.4 at 1/1500
He just might have a future.

Thank you for the pleasure I had in looking at your photographs. Dan
John, I'm having trouble finding the images. Did you attach them before posting?
Hal
I found them way back at the beginning of the thread. This looks like a repeat post. Hal

Some trees about a 1/4 of a mile down the road from me. It's not in the countryside as such, but, it is a very well maintained and attended Park.

Techie Stuff.

Nikon D300, F/9, 80th, ISO200, 18mm, Aperture Priority, No Bias.

(Dec 27, 2013, 06:03)Phil J Wrote:  Some trees about a 1/4 of a mile down the road from me. It's not in the countryside as such, but, it is a very well maintained and attended Park.

Techie Stuff.

Nikon D300, F/9, 80th, ISO200, 18mm, Aperture Priority, No Bias.

Thanks Phil. That path is inviting me to walk down it and explore. Great shot. Hal

Hal,

Thanks very much for your encouraging comments.

Regards.

Phil.

See if you like this one.

It's part of 'The Cotswold Way' an ancient 'right of way' footpath, which runs from Bath in the south to Chipping Campden at its northern most point. It is approximately 100 miles long. Anyway, see what you think of this little stretch of it.

Techie stuff.
Nikon D300, F/13, 250th Sec, ISO200 18mm, M/Mode Pattern, Aperture Priority, Exp Com 0.

(Dec 27, 2013, 15:09)Phil J Wrote:  See if you like this one.

It's part of 'The Cotswold Way' an ancient 'right of way' footpath, which runs from Bath in the south to Chipping Campden at its northern most point. It is approximately 100 miles long. Anyway, see what you think of this little stretch of it.

Techie stuff.
Nikon D300, F/13, 250th Sec, ISO200 18mm, M/Mode Pattern, Aperture Priority, Exp Com 0.

Phil, I love the converging lines of the rock wall and the path. They lead the eye way into the image. This path isn't as inviting for a stroll though since it comes in on the side of the frame. Still a very nice image. Hal

By walking a little further we find this scene, where the Cotswold escarpment opens out before you.

Then as you round the bend at the end of the photo above, you find a view of a typical Cotswold Farm unfolds as you round the bend.

In both instances the technical information is pretty much as before.

Hal,

Thanks for the comments. Greatly appreciated.

I'm fortunate to live in an area designated as being of 'outstanding natural beauty', and when the weather conditions are right, there's no question about it. However, it does rain quite a lot and regularly, which accounts for the greens in the scenes. Smile Still, like many others before me, I should be grateful for what I've got, it's a privilage to live in such a beautiful county.

Regards.

Phil.

(Dec 27, 2013, 15:43)Phil J Wrote:  By walking a little further we find this scene, where the Cotswold escarpment opens out before you.

Then as you round the bend at the end of the photo above, you find a view of a typical Cotswold Farm unfolds as you round the bend.

In both instances the technical information is pretty much as before.
Phil, I really love the first one with the path inviting me to stroll down it and see more of whats around the corner. Especially since you are giving me just a hint of what's coming with the inclusion of a portion of the background. I like the path image more than the full scene second image. I can dream with the first one and the second one shows it all. Very nice! Hal

Meadow Trees

While I was out for a gentle stroll near St Albans yesterday, with Pentax K-5II and 35mm prime lens, the evening sunlight on these trees in a farm meadow caught my attention:

ISO 800, f/16, 1/100s.

Then I came across this rotten old tree stump, covered in moss and lichen:

ISO 160, f/2.8, 1/100s.

Philip

(Dec 29, 2013, 15:29)MrB Wrote:  Meadow Trees

While I was out for a gentle stroll near St Albans yesterday, with Pentax K-5II and 35mm prime lens, the evening sunlight on these trees in a farm meadow caught my attention:

ISO 800, f/16, 1/100s.

Then I came across this rotten old tree stump, covered in moss and lichen:

ISO 160, f/2.8, 1/100s.

Philip
Philip, I really like the tree in the evening light. Great detail. But, I'm not sure on the old stump as it is shown. It's almost abstract when filling the frame. Well done with great detail. I wonder what it would look like if you had pulled back a little. Would it loose it's appeal or enhance it? Keep up the strolling. I loving your finds. Hal

Yes, some great shots you've produced there Philip. you should rightly be proud of yourself.

Phil.

If we 'about face 180 degrees' from post 81, this is what greats us. Looking over 'Cleeve Hill' in Gloucestershire and in the far distance you can see the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire.

Techie Stuff.

Nikon D300, F/13, 320sec, ISO 200, M/Mode Pattern, 18mm, Ex-Bias 0, Aperture Priority.

Hal and Phil - thank you for your kind remarks.

Hal, we can only wonder about your wonder, as I didn't shoot the tree stump from any further back! I chose to exclude the surroundings as the stump was so interesting - in fact, I should have got in really close but my knees tend to object nowadays!

Philip

Phil, I like your Cotswold Way series. One of their qualities that appeals to me is the colour, particularly the green tones. You have produced exactly the colour balance I would expect to see there in your 1st, 2nd, and 4th photos. The odd one out is the 3rd - it is too biased towards blue (which seems strange if it was taken on the same walk) - so if it were mine I would want to process it to match the others.

Philip

Hi All
Hope you had a great Christmas break and looking forwared to a good new year.
I was out yesterday in our Bluebell Woods and attach a few shots in temperature approaching -3 deg C , so dident linger to much.
The bluebell woods are close to Winchester , Hampshire Uk.
Camera detail : Canon EOS 600D , lense Tamron Zoom 18-270
Nikon Coolpix

Regards
JonAngel

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi All
Hope you had a good christmas and looking forward to happy snapping in the new year.
I got these yesterday in the local Bluebell woods near Winchester UK.
Camera : Canon EOS600D
Nikon : Colpix
lense : Tamron 18-270 , set on manual.
Regards
jon
Angel

Attached Files Image(s)

(Dec 30, 2013, 10:56)john.mcintosh Wrote:  Hi All
Hope you had a good christmas and looking forward to happy snapping in the new year.
Regards
jon
Angel

Wow John, really nice images. That last one looks like ice crystals on a leaf and that tells me it's way to cold for these old bones. The one of the leafless tree isn't to exciting. I think I would have gotten under the tree some more and excluded the little branches on the right. Otherwise I am impressed. Hal

Hi photowalker
many thanks for the review , very interesting .
As for temperature , yes is was around -3 Deg C in the afternoon , even allowing for the blue skies.
Your right , it is frost on the leaf, and my toes as well , so gave in at this point for a coffee and naughty cake whilst sitting in the car.
thanks again.

(Dec 30, 2013, 12:23)photowalker Wrote:  
(Dec 30, 2013, 10:56)john.mcintosh Wrote:  Hi All
Regards
jon
Angel

Wow John, really nice images. That last one looks like ice crystals on a leaf and that tells me it's way to cold for these old bones. The one of the leafless tree isn't to exciting. I think I would have gotten under the tree some more and excluded the little branches on the right. Otherwise I am impressed. Hal

The Place.

[Image: 8980588403_07fb0ed56b_b.jpg]

(Dec 30, 2013, 23:07)NickPPrime Wrote:  The Place.

[Image: 8980588403_07fb0ed56b_b.jpg]

Nick, nice reflections. I have a suggestion for you though. The image looks a little heavy on the right side with the bigger tree next to the frame. I think I would frame less of the tree on the right and more of the tree on the left. The shore line in the middle seems to work for this image. Just a suggestion from my point of view. But, still a great image. Hal

A tree at the Vine in Hampshire which is a National Trust Building.
regards
Jon
Angel

Attached Files Image(s)

Taken on a walk in the hills between Buckie and Fochabers on sunny day in 2012. There's lots of trees there Smile

Techie stuff. Nikon D300, F/8, 250sec, ISo200 Ex/Bias +0.3, 18mm, Manual Exp.

(Jan 4, 2014, 20:37)Phil J Wrote:  Taken on a walk in the hills between Buckie and Fochabers on sunny day in 2012. There's lots of trees there Smile

Techie stuff. Nikon D300, F/8, 250sec, ISo200 Ex/Bias +0.3, 18mm, Manual Exp.

Phil
this is a great photo. How do you move the bias when shooting in manual.
jon
Angel